All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Tea, fiber, soy, etc.
      #78471 - 06/12/04 07:39 PM
lilbit

Reged: 06/12/04

I'm new to the site and I have read as much as possilbe, when I can, so forgive me for asking something that may have already been covered.

I have IBS-D. I'm used to it for the most part, and am on levsin and avoiding dairy and carbonated beverages. It works well for the most part until I have a bad attack. So here goes.

I'm starting in with the fiber. For someone with the D instead of C is it ok to have a lot of fiber? How much will help with the D. So far I've just started up with the Metamucil, 2 wafers a day.

Soy...I hear it's ok to substitute? I thought what the heck and had a bowl of cereal with soy milk last night and it seems to work ok. I just made a pizza with the soy sub. cheese so we'll see. I'm a little nervous.

Anyway, soy is ok?

Third, about the teas. I've never had a glass of tea. It tasted disgusting last I knew but I'm willing to try anything. What is a tea strainer? Is the fennel and peppermint in the tea section, spice section?...

I guess I can add a couple more questions right? My dr. says no but I have a feeling the answer is yes, can rolaids cause D? I know if you take it with the levsin it won't be as effective.

I seem to have a problem with antibiotics now. Like, I get all the side effects, sort of intensifies the D. Sucks. Can't have alcohol but red meat doesn't seem to be a problem so far.

Is it the sugar or the alcohol? (I drink margaritas)

I noticed 5 days off of work with no junk food has made me feel a lot better, no bloating.

Final question. My last reaaaaly bad bouts was 1-I got back from vacation and had pharyngitis. 2-a week after a bad night out at the bar, ended up with laryngitis and bronchitis, and 3-after my antibiotics, etc. I noticed these all fell on hot days so I'm a little worried.

Is it the sicknesses I had or the heat?

And does anyone else have bad chest pain or is this unrelated?

*phew, thanks for answering if you do...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Tea, fiber, soy, etc. new
      #78482 - 06/12/04 08:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The only thing I can answer is the tea. I don't like tea in general-not real tea. But I like just fennel tea and I like the peppermint/fennel mixes -and with no sugar! I had been steeping fennel seeds and just straining with a regular strainer but now I buy eater's digest tea at this point. Someone can tell me if that one is not as effective, etc. It is really refreshing after dinner and believe it or not it is making me like teas in general a lot better.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#78596 - 06/13/04 01:30 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Okay...

Lots of SFS is great for IBS-D usually, BUT...work up your dose slowly or you'll get bloating and cramps for a while (which I had ). And although Heather suggests 12-15g of SFS a day, some of us are better on slightly less. And son't go ABOVE 15g a day!

Some people take a while to get used to soy, so if you notice problems, cut back on it and work it up slowly. I'm totally fine with it though.

You might have to go to a health food store to find the herbal teas. Try Chamomile as well. You can add sugar/honey to sweeten them. Also, Fennel tastes of licorice, which lots of people don't like - if that's you, mix it with peppermint or dried lavender. Ginger tea is also very good for nausea. BUT... if you get heartburn/GERDs, then avoid peppermint and ginger.

What are rolaids?

Antibiotics kill all the good bacteria in your gut as well as the bad bacteria, which can be hard on IBSers. Taking a probiotic (dairy-free) will help and is good to take regularly anyway. But definitely take one when you're on antibiotics.

With drink, it's the alcohol. Try having one small drink after a very safe meal.

Other illnesses can cause flare-ups as can extreme weather, inc. heat.

Chest pain is NOT an IBS symptom - see your doctor. But it could be either heartburn or a gallstone problem which are often a problem with IBSers.

Phew! Oh, and welcome!

Re: Probiotic? SFS? new
      #78611 - 06/13/04 02:47 PM
lilbit

Rolaids is an antacid.

I don't know what a probiotic is and don't really know what sfs's are. Someone help me out?
I tried some tea last night and if it wasn't for the smell of the peppermint tea I could have drank it. But what makes it taste better?

#78615 - 06/13/04 02:55 PM
Linz

Sorry! I'm using abbreviations too much cos I'm a bit tired...and very lazy.

Probiotics are basically "good" bacteria. Do you have Yakult yogurt/drinks or "live" yogurt over there? They're probiotics (but also dairy). If you ask in a health food store, they'll be able to find you some, probably in capsule form - just check that they are dairy free.

SFS = Soluble Fibre Supplement. There are many types available, some suit some people better. Any that contain psyllium will cause bloating (but might be better if you have C - constipation). Heather sells one (Acacia) of this site and that seems to be the gentlest on most people. It's also good because it dissolves completely and it practically taste free. Some of the other types make a gloopy, gell-like drink which is a bit gross.

Try mixing the peppermint tea with Chamomile or dried lavender. Or just hold your nose! Or just start off with Chamomile, which isn't so strong-smelling.

Re: Probiotic? SFS? - FOR LINZ new
      #78695 - 06/13/04 05:58 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Quote:

Sorry! I'm using abbreviations too much cos I'm a bit tired...and very lazy.

Probiotics are basically "good" bacteria. Do you have Yakult yogurt/drinks or "live" yogurt over there? They're probiotics (but also dairy). If you ask in a health food store, they'll be able to find you some, probably in capsule form - just check that they are dairy free.

SFS = Soluble Fibre Supplement. There are many types available, some suit some people better. Any that contain psyllium will cause bloating (but might be better if you have C - constipation). Heather sells one (Acacia) of this site and that seems to be the gentlest on most people. It's also good because it dissolves completely and it practically taste free. Some of the other types make a gloopy, gell-like drink which is a bit gross.

Try mixing the peppermint tea with Chamomile or dried lavender. Or just hold your nose! Or just start off with Chamomile, which isn't so strong-smelling.

Hi Linz,
Maybe a stupid question but I was just wondering why an SFS with psyllium may be better for those with C? That'd be great for me, but just curious as to the reason!!!

Psyllium new
      #78718 - 06/13/04 06:45 PM
Linz

It's a bit harsher on the tummy and I think it helps some Cers "go" more regularly. I think it was Kandee who said she took psyllium for that, but I'm not sure.

But it still causes bloating!

#78728 - 06/13/04 07:01 PM
bigblue

Reged: 05/30/04
Loc: New Jersey...USA

I had trouble with the taste of peppermint tea also. So I put in a little "soymilk vanilla" & one sugar. While it`s not like a great cup of coffee which I miss taste wise only, the peppermint tea is a god send. I just ordered the peppermint oil capsules from here also. Bought some locally to tie me over & I take one before every meal & having good results. Good luck & stick with the peppermint tea.

Icky Margaritas new
      #78744 - 06/13/04 07:34 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Diane, do your margaritas come from one of those pre-packaged margarita mixes in a bottle? If so, I think they're mostly high fructose corn syrup (theory of mine, haven't checked for sure) and therefore may possibly make you sicker. I only drink margaritas made from "scratch" now (triple sec, lime juice, tequila) and I haven't had a bad episode since. They taste infinitely better, too. But like Linz says, only do it when you're feeling very, very confident. Alcohol is a major trigger for most people.

sperry_twiggins

#78753 - 06/13/04 07:43 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hello Hello...

If you hate peppermint tea.. or other teas, order heather's peppermint caps.. They work just as well and have fennel and ginger already in them. Just pop one or two daily and it willhelp in the same way the teas do.

Also, you will def feel better after giving up all the junk! trust me.. that is the surefire way to feel better. cut out cookies.. potato chips and anything else greasy or fried. I've done well cutting out junk.. except soda. I used to drink three cans a day.. but i'm cutting down. I love the stuff.

Also, antacids CAN cause diarrhea.. stay away from them!
As for soy.. I have yet to try it.. i'm a lil scared!

--------------------

Re: Icky Margaritas new
      #78758 - 06/13/04 07:53 PM
Linz

Ew! Didn't even think of this. Anything alco-pop like is bound to be bad for us. They put sooo much junk in those.

Everybody answered everything else, so for soy info check here new
      #78789 - 06/13/04 08:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I just added this to the IBS Diet FAQ - it's the last one on the list.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Yes Linz, it was me... new
      #78799 - 06/13/04 08:48 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

If I used a soluble fiber like acacia only I'd NEVER go, but by adding a different form of (mostly) soluble fiber like psyllium, things move along nicely. I use Konsyl, but some prefer Metamucile. I've also noticed that there is something else going on here. I was told that if we "C's" take different forms of fiber supplements during the day, the brain gets confused and never gets "immune" you might say, to any one. But I think there is another aspect to it as well, and that is the viscosity. Phyllium gets thick the minute you mix it with water, but Acacia and Benefiber do not. I'm beginning to think that some of us need both of those types to be regular. In fact, I take Citrucel powder too, (and the pills when I'm out) and now have noticed a difference in regularity because I ran out of the Citrucel and figured I'd go to the acacia and Konsyl only.......Aparently I can't.

Back to the quesion. Does phsyllium case gas and bloating? You bet. But if you take it at night, just before you go to sleep, by morning the bloating is gone and you will have slept right thru it. I'm up to a double, sometimes triple dose of psyllium taken at night. Go slow and work up to the level right for you. You'll know when you've reached it.

Kandee

--------------------

Re: Yes Linz, it was me... new
      #78800 - 06/13/04 08:57 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Thanks Kandee (and Linz) that is a good idea. I already look 8 months pregnant by the time bedtime rolls around so what's another month? lol...and Metamucil sounds good for me in that aspect plus its the most easily available SFS in Canada. Thanks so much for the help

Re: Thanks, but stress? new
      #78809 - 06/13/04 09:48 PM
lilbit

I thought that antacids might be a bad thing.

Well, this weekend I really tried, so we'll see. Hopefully I can keep up the diet.

As far as stress...this semester between school and work I don't have a choice but to mess up my sleep schedule and stress out for another 7 weeks.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys.

#78811 - 06/13/04 09:52 PM
lilbit

Thanks, mostly I just drink them on rare occassions, like the last time at a bachelorette party. I went a little overboard though, never again...yes they most likely a prepackaged deal, at the bar or a restaurant.

For some reason, if it's a dairy thing it will come on pretty quick. Same with sugars and stuff. But alcohol seems to make me sick after about 3 days. (Or of course the same day) but mostly kicks in later...weird.

#78812 - 06/13/04 09:54 PM
lilbit

Well I'm glad this didn't kick in a few years ago.

Re: Thanks, but stress? new
      #78832 - 06/14/04 01:13 AM
leslierf

Reged: 10/11/03
Loc: Tucson, Arizona

T'AI CHI
works great to releave stress

Re: Yes Linz, it was me... new
      #78841 - 06/14/04 05:19 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

That's interesting about the type of SFS. I never really thought of it that way - thanks for sharing that Kandee! Although the viscosity was exactly why I had so much trouble taking Metamucil before I see what you're saying about why that might actually help with C!

Ana

Re: Yummy Margaritas new
      #78977 - 06/14/04 01:14 PM
KellyAndersson

Reged: 03/24/04
Loc: N.California

Sperry, you are RIGHT ON about the margarita mixes. Some even contain a "foaming agent" along with gobs of sugar. How good can a foaming agent be for your guts, huh?

The original margarita is the only way to go: silver tequila and cointreau (triple sec is the cheaper alternative, but it too contains a lot of sugar) and fresh lime juice. Add ice (and salt) and you get the real thing.

Even in a bar that resorts to the icky mixes, if you ask the bartender to do it the right way, they generally will. Tell them not to use that Rose's Lime, though (more sugar) because you want FRESH LIME JUICE.

There are now dozens of variations available from bars on the original, but the original is still a darnfine beverage.

(And yes, Bev, I usedta be a bartender too.)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 552 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3543

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review