All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
meds for pain
      #7835 - 04/29/03 12:19 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I can control most of my symptoms by following Heather's diet. But once in awhile I get an attack of pain that does not seem to be related to what I've been eating--and it's got to be IBS-related pain, because I'm on birth control pills and shouldn't be ovulating, though the pain is sometimes similar. I was on generic Bentyl to take as needed when I was first diagnosed, but it only sometimes helped the pain, and it definitely caused C as a side effect. All I want is a drug, I'm guessing an anti-spasmodic, that is more effective at relieving the pain when it occurs--I don't need it every day, or very often at all. And I'd prefer no side effects! Can anyone tell me what I should ask my doctor to prescribe? She's kind but doesn't know much about IBS.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: meds for pain new
      #7840 - 04/29/03 12:28 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

TessLouise,

I am the same. I control my IBS my using Heather's diet which works the best. SOMETIMES, I have spasms which are painful. I use Dicetel which does work wonders and right away! I have read in previous posts that it is popular in Canada, but I don't know if that means it isn't available anywhere else. It's probably worth a try asking??

Hope this helps!

--------------------
Lorna

#7842 - 04/29/03 12:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm not sure how severe the pain is. Really bad, can't move or breathe? I get attacks like this a couple of times a year, totally out of the blue. I haven't found an anti-spasmodic that will relieve this - they seem to work better for prevention, but like you I've got the diet for that and no side effects from foods, so I haven't bothered with the anti-spasmodics for a while now. So, for the big whomping pain attacks, I have roxilox, a generic narcotic painkiller. It's got oxycodone in it - like Vicodin or Percodan or some such. It's extremely strong, and it does not stop the pain immediately but after an hour or two it definitely kicks in. It totally stops the problem, and almost seems to "re-set" my system to get everything back on track again.

But - it does have side effects. It makes me a little loopy (not bad, like I'm drunk or something, but happy and spacey) and then it makes me very, very tired and I have to take a nap. No choice - either I lie down or I fall asleep standing up. But I think some of this is from the pain itself, which is exhausting. And when I wake up, I feel fine.

I don't know if this sounds like an option for you or not. It can be tough to get a doc to prescribe these drugs unless they've known you for a while. They can be abused and people can get addicted to them. My prescription was initially just for ten pills, which lasted me for a couple years. I don't need them very often, but when I do I am damn glad to have them. Constipation can be a side effect too, but I don't know what the odds are here.

You might want to try a variety of the anti-spasmodics first. Your doc may even have office samples to give you. There's a lot of individual variation in how those drugs work for people. They'll all have the same common side effects, though. And one thing about them is that the side effects seem worse when you're not used to the drug. So if you only take them occasionally, you're more likely to have the side effects than if you're using the drug daily and your body adjusts.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7843 - 04/29/03 12:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

It's not available in the US. I don't know why - it sounds like a really useful drug.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7849 - 04/29/03 01:09 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I get awful pain sometimes too, and like you guys, i cant link it to any kindof specific food. My levsin does absolutly nothing when the pain is so bad i can barely breathe Maybe I'll give Codeine a shot, I heard good reviews

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7878 - 04/29/03 05:37 PM
Sue48

Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

TessLouise,
I have used the oxycodone such as used in Vicodin or Percodan for really bad pain. And I suffer from the same side effects as Heather. I get a little loopy, but don't need to take a nap (I don't know what dosage Heather has!).
It's just kinda nice to sit and view the world through different lenses

Best Wishes,

--------------------
Sue

#7884 - 04/29/03 06:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Oh, I like your way of viewing the side effects! I have to say, it's a pretty fun drug in that regard and I can definitely see how people would want to just keep taking it. I've always wondered if the tiredness is from the drug or just the pain - maybe a combo. It's not actually unwelcome in that circumstance because it's nice to sleep after such an experience and I always feel much better when I wake up.

The dose is 5 mg. I only take one capsule - I tried two once when the first one just wouldn't kick in and it made me so nauseous I vomited. Not good, since the pain from the IBS attack itself usually makes me nauseous as well.

- Heather

--------------------

#7966 - 04/30/03 01:05 PM
Lorna

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Heather,

This is just FYI. During my last "flare-up" (which by the way was two months ago - YEAH!!) I didn't take any pain medication because I ran out and I was VERY fatigued during and after. I felt like I could sleep for days. You sound like you have much worse pain than I have, so I wouldn't doubt alot of your fatigue stems from the pain itself rather than the drug, but I've never heard of the medication you mentioned so I could be way off base.

Just thought I'd share my side of the story!

--------------------
Lorna

#7972 - 04/30/03 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I think you're right. I went quite a few years without the painkiller prescription (or any drug for IBS, for that matter) and after the severe attacks where I'd either pass out or come close to it, I was just completely exhausted. So it's probably not the painkiller now that's making me so tired, though maybe it's contributing a little. A side effect I'm happy to deal with...

- H

--------------------

#8151 - 05/02/03 11:40 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Thanks for the suggestion. The last attack I had, well, I didn't pass out, but I couldn't stand up straight or lean over to take my shoes off...my boyfriend had to take my shoes off, and I just lay down and ate some crackers and didn't move for awhile. And then slept. But that hadn't happened in SO long, like nearly a year, that it caught me completely off-guard. <sigh> Anyway, thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'll talk to my doc as soon as I can get in to see her.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 801 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2083

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review