All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
C's need more insolubles?
      #78089 - 06/11/04 06:05 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Okay - so I feel like I'm always posting similar questions but here goes anyway...

I've read in lots of posts that C's have to get more insolubles than D's to "keep things moving". I have two questions about that:
- why is that? Is it the insolubles that actually produce a movement?
- how do I know if the insoluble is making me more C rather than helping me "keep things moving"? (Other than trial and error and food diary?)

Still trying to figure it out...

Help on this one would be great!
Ana

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: C's need more insolubles? new
      #78098 - 06/11/04 06:21 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

I've read in lots of posts that C's have to get more insolubles than D's to "keep things moving". I have two questions about that:
- why is that? Is it the insolubles that actually produce a movement?
- how do I know if the insoluble is making me more C rather than helping me "keep things moving"? (Other than trial and error and food diary?)

I'm mostly C (except now since I'm premenstrual ), so I can chime in. The way I've done it is to slo-o-o-owly increase insolubles, and do it in IBS-friendly ways (cooked veggies, chopped fruits, smoothies, soups). You also have to be sure you're getting enough solubles (both in general and before any insolubles) and enough liquid (64-128 oz = 2-4 liters) each day.

I know when I'm OD'ing on insolubles when I move towards D (like now - sigh) or if I get crampy after eating. You'll have to learn your own signs, but IBSers certainly don't have problems knowing when their colons object to something!

There are links on this site about soluble and insoluble fiber: soluble fiber is your best friend, insoluble fiber is a friend, but not a close one. These links explain how insoluble fiber causes more colon activity, which is good for IBS-C'ers, and how soluble fiber fills up the ol' colon, which is good for everyone.

Does this help at all?

--AC

Thanks Astrochick! new
      #78104 - 06/11/04 06:33 AM
Ana Maria

That does help! I'll check out those links. You have D when you're premenstrual - funny, I get more C then.

Thanks again for your reply - the more I learn the better I can work with (ha!) my IBS!

Ana

Re: Thanks Astrochick! new
      #78118 - 06/11/04 07:15 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Quote:

That does help! I'll check out those links. You have D when you're premenstrual - funny, I get more C then.

Hi Ana--

Well, I do have to admit that sometimes I do the C/D tango: first I'm C premenstrually with wicked evening bloating, and then go D-ward when my period starts. This time, though, it's D all the way. Boy oh boy, am I looking forward to menopause!

Anyhow, I do have to say that I am more regular now than I have ever been in my life. It is so bizarre - I used to not understand when people talked about daily pooping. I thought they were joking! I really went on Heather's diet because I hated the occasional bouts of D - when you're chronically C, it is a heck of a switch. Now that I've finally figured out the right amount of insolubles for me along with the soluble stuff, I've helped both the C and the D and the bloats and the tummy gurgles and the farting. Jeez, I was a walking hazard zone, and I didn't even realize it!

--AC

Re: Thanks Astrochick! new
      #78214 - 06/11/04 12:15 PM
Ana Maria

Hi Astrochick (I love that username! )

I can totally relate! I always thought it was normal to not go to the bathroom for days on end then get painful bouts of D. Glad to hear the diet is working for you! I have been feeling much better also on this diet. I had two attacks of D last week but I'm trying to recover and get back on track. I still need to work on the balance of solubles and insolubles but I have HOPE now!

Thanks again for all your help!
Ana

#78409 - 06/12/04 10:39 AM

Unregistered

I don't know about you needing more insoluable fiber than us D's but the thing is that insoluable fiber comes out more quickly so people with D who already have a problem with rapid transit tend to shy away from insoluable fiber. The last thing we need is to go even quicker than we already are.

#78669 - 06/13/04 05:11 PM
Ana Maria

Comes out quicker! So it moves through the body more quicky than insoluble? Oh - I think I'm getting it now. The part that still bugs me though is that - from what I understand - some of the insoluble fibre can make someone who is C more C because it throws the bowel into spasm. I just wish I knew which insolubles helped things more quickly and which ones grind things to a halt!

#78694 - 06/13/04 05:53 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

no kidding! Thats half the battle with this C isn't it!!!! GRRRR

Why you have to eat your insolubles (and everyone does, not just the C'ers) new
      #78793 - 06/13/04 08:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's info about this in the diet FAQ here Why you have to eat insoluble fiber! that will help explain why/how insoluble fiber works - and why you need to eat it! It's not just eating it, though, it's HOW you eat it, and that info is in there too.

And you are so right...the more you know the better you can control your symptoms!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather new
      #78839 - 06/14/04 05:01 AM
Ana Maria

The part that bothers me the most is that I'll have to figure out which insolubles cause more C because my bowel reacts to them and which ones actually help keep my bowel working...that was the part I had trouble understanding and wishing it wasn't so!

I have been incorporating insolubles - having blueberries, strawberries, peanut butter, hummus, cherries... making sure I've eaten them after with a good soluble fibre base - so far nothing has stopped me up this week! I've also started with yoga and that seems to have helped too!

I've discovered that this is a learning journey....

Ana

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4454 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1622

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review