All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
The other red meat...
      #7783 - 04/29/03 05:09 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

I had a hamburger last night with 2 pickels. I got up this morning and I got a minor attack with my bowels. When I drank some cold water it about killed my bowels. I quit drinking it and went to work. I am lucky I've been following Heather's recipes and I haven't had no problems at all with my bowels.

Heather--- I cannot find any soy cheese where I live. Walmart didn't have it. What type of cheese can I eat if I cannot find any soy substitutes? I want to follow your recipes as closely as possbile, but where I live I am lucky to have found soy milk.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The other red meat... new
      #7784 - 04/29/03 05:34 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Do you have any health food stores around you? Or any stores called Whole Foods or Trader Joe's? They will have soy cheese. Or try the internet; alot of places can ship quickly to prevent spoilage!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#7786 - 04/29/03 06:20 AM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Speaking of ordering food off the internet, does anyone order rice online? I can't find rose rice anywhere around me, even at my organic food store.

Just wondering if people have favorite sites to order food from...

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#7788 - 04/29/03 06:25 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Try www.goldminenaturalfood.com, I have their catalog and they have TONS of different types of rices, and things that WE can eat!

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#7845 - 04/29/03 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can use any short grain white rice for Rose Rice. What you want is "sushi rice" or "sticky rice". Feel free to sub any brand.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7847 - 04/29/03 12:44 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Did you check your local grocery stores in the produce (not dairy) section? Ask if they have refrigerated tofu - usually the soy cheese is next to it. They hide it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7848 - 04/29/03 01:04 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Jennifer,
You can eat hamburgers? I would, but im too scared it will give me an attack. have you tried soy burgers? (ie Boca?)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7855 - 04/29/03 01:40 PM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

I can the lean (97% FF) ground meat from Target, in moderation. It's so yummy too, it doesn't even need seasonings. I cook it when hubby is growing tired of chicken and fish. I have learned that if I over eat it one sitting or eat it too often that I'll have problems. I was a BIG red meat eater so I have to get a fix every now and then.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: The other red meat...-Laurie new
      #7867 - 04/29/03 05:16 PM
ConcreteAngel

Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Laurie,
You seem to be replying to alot of my posts/comments, and i just wanted to to thank you.Do you have Ibs-c or d? Are you on an meds? I'm Ibs-d and im on levsin and calcium. I noticed that calcium can really "plug you up" lol. I know exactly what you mean by being a big meat eater. Before I had IBS, i was a HUGE meat eater!! I would eat 2 cheese burgers and 3 tacos I havnt had meat in so long, I forgot what it tasted like! Oh well... as long as I have my chicken

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7885 - 04/29/03 06:42 PM
Laurie

I have IBS-D, I've been officially diagnosed for 3 years. I think I've had it pretty much my whole life, it just never became constant until 4 years ago. Right now I am in between studies. I was in a clincial study for the new medicine Cilanstron(sp), it's like Lotronex but not as harsh. It worked pretty good, I could actually eat red meat a little more frequent and salads. I was originally on Lotronex and I loved it. I've taken Bentyl and Librax and neither did much for me. One of them made me sleepy ALL the time but I can't remember which. I miss bacon cheeseburgers, chicken fried steak, Ribeyes, and Brisket.

--------------------
Laurie

#7893 - 04/29/03 07:26 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

You're pretty brave -- I gave up red meat over a year ago, and with the exception of a small piece of steak I had when an uncle of mine was in town (mmmmmmmmmm..... it was soooooo gooooooood!!). I've made do with mostly chicken -- I've had it pretty much every way possible. I have fish from time to time to break it up a bit, and have experimented with tofu. I'm not very fussy though, and have learned (more or less) to live without red meat.

#7894 - 04/29/03 07:50 PM
Laurie

Has anyone tried Venison? Is it completely evil?

--------------------
Laurie

#7910 - 04/30/03 03:59 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Laurie! Here's a previous thread on venison that may help: Venison

I have venison in my freezer (my boyfriend hunts) that I won't touch, personally. Don't get me wrong - I love(d) venison. But, so far, any time I've tried to "sneak" a little red meat, an hour later my stomach just aches. So, I just don't touch any red meat at all anymore. It's just not worth it to me.

#7919 - 04/30/03 06:19 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Ewww LOL, no the red meat gave me gas lol... grease ewww.

#7931 - 04/30/03 08:09 AM
Laurie

Thanks Mags! I'll check it out. Not only does my husband hunt, my father-in-law hunts and mother-in-law is a vegetarian. I get stuck with all the left over ground venison. I only eat red meat in moderation, like a treat. If I eat it this way I don't get negative results.

Ok, I read Heather's reply and I just may have to give some of the ground venison to my sister.

--------------------
Laurie

#7934 - 04/30/03 11:33 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Since I read Heather's suggestions - I have not touched red meat. Well, I shouldn't say that - when I was first officially diagnosed in January I thought - how bad can cheating be?

Now I have learnt, it's definately not worth my time spending all that time - counting bathroom tiles. LOL

I have mostly chicken, but sometimes treat myself with shrimp or salmon.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#7950 - 04/30/03 12:22 PM
Laurie

I wish I could count bathroom tiles. I have to sit there and stare at hubby's towel. LOL I usually test my trigger food on Friday nights of weekends where I have no plans to go anywhere. I call them "date nights" with hubby. We rent a couple of movies. I have found if I give to much thought to what I ate that I will trigger no matter what. I just have to have a fix every now and then. Believe it or not the occasional small red meat intake has less effect than rest of my other triggers. I wish it was something like strawberries I could tolerate on occasion, but I'm sure hubby is glad it is the occasional hamburger or homemade taco.

--------------------
Laurie

#7958 - 04/30/03 12:36 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I know what you mean. My husband hunts and now he wants to give it up because we never eat it. I told he could make jerky or donate it but he won't. His family would also eat it. I thought that was something he enjoyed. Guess I will have to wait for him to change his mind. We are planning on throwing out the venison from the freezer tomorrow (garbage night).

#7962 - 04/30/03 12:55 PM
Laurie

The meat my father-in-law gives me I secretly give to my sister. I don't know why he's so weird about sharing seeing how he never eats it all in year. He should at least go because he enjoys it. Other people would probably enjoy the meat.

--------------------
Laurie

#8008 - 04/30/03 06:17 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

That is what I thought. He is also concerned about being away from us. He works alot and then he feels guilty for being gone for a couple of days(during the opening days) and then he never gets out again. He is also having trouble finding a place to go. I don't mind him going, especially if it is the week of Thanksgiving. He usually takes the week off and I enjoy having him home when he is done. I also enjoy having the evenings when he is gone, after the girls go to bed, to myself. Whatever, it is his decision. Oh and by the way he doesn't eat it because I don't cook it. He never has time to cook and if he does I won't eat so he doesn't. The girls love it though.

#8010 - 04/30/03 06:27 PM
bdiaz6

Loc: Concord,Ca 94518

There is any SAFEWAY Store where you live? They carry some non dairy products includidng chesse and cream cheese made from soybeans.
Good luck

--------------------
Tomorrow wil be better than today!!!

#8013 - 04/30/03 09:36 PM
helene

Reged: 03/13/03

to Torbetta, this is my first time in writing in--I just finished venison stew and it was delicious! I marinated the meat for 2 days in a good Mexican salsa with balsamic vinegar added, next I froze it, next I simmered it for about 3 hours on low adding potatos and root vegies the last 1 hr. When I made jerkie, it was also very good and I take it on trips, so last time I drove 428 miles chewing on my healthy jerkie often. Deer meat is totally fat free and a good sup. for beef. Just thought ya wanne know. Helene

#8014 - 04/30/03 09:43 PM
helene

Reged: 03/13/03

Hello Laurie. Since I moved to Oregon I have used venison o lot. It took me a while to get the hang of it though. The trick is to marinade the cut-up meat in a zesty/spicy sauce that has vinegar added. The acid in the vinegar takes out the wild game taste and tenderizes. good luck, Helene

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3614

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review