Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Hair Loss.....Symptom of IBS??
      #7720 - 04/28/03 04:43 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

Hello All!

Has anyone noticed hair loss since they got sick? Since I got sick in June I have noticed a huge amount of hair loss. I have thick hair so I am used to shedding but this is 15 times worse. I can't even wash my hair without getting my hand all tangled in hair. Does anyone have this or know if it is a symptom of IBS?

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

No... new
      #7725 - 04/28/03 05:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Whoa, no, this is not a symptom of IBS. Hair loss can sometimes be caused by stress or general illness, so if you've been quite sick with IBS there could be an indirect tie in. But hair loss can also signal serious problems, so I would see your doctor about this. Also - have you started any new medications that could have hair loss as a side effect? Or had hormonal fluctuations (pregnancy, birth control pills, etc.)?

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: No... new
      #7745 - 04/28/03 06:15 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

Heather -

I have not started any new medications or had any hormonal fluctuations. I have told my doctor about it but he says it is because I have lost 50lbs and I am malnuriched (sp?). They haven't told me that I have IBS for sure either. The hair loss has been going on since June. Any sugestions?

#7747 - 04/28/03 06:31 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

hair loss can have many different causes. i wouldn't be surprised if your doctor is right about the malnutrition, though, especially if you've lost so much weight... did you lose the weight because of being sick? Also, stress can be a HUGE factor in hair loss, so that could be part of it, too.

anyway, i go to cosmetology school, and i learned about this GREAT line of products called Nioxin . the basics are a shampoo, scalp/hair conditioner, and a treatment. these can be rather expensive, but I promise, they work. I haven't talked to ANYONE who has used Nioxin and not regained hair they had lost. I've actually talked to more women who used it than men, too. Next time you go to the salon, ask your stylist if they know anything about it and where you can get it in your area.

Hope this helps some.

Beth

Edited by juniorrachel (04/28/03 06:35 PM)

#7752 - 04/28/03 06:48 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hope you don't mind me jumping in, but as most of you know by now, I'm a website junkie! LOL

I found the website, www.nioxin.com, and they have info on the products and a salon locator where you can buy the products.

#7758 - 04/28/03 07:13 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Be careful using it. You are supposed to wash your hair in the sink. My husband didn't follow the instructions and I swear it caused hair to grow on his shoulders. I used Rogaine a few years ago and it worked too. The Nioxin worked on me too.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Hair Loss.....Symptom of IBS?? new
      #7826 - 04/29/03 12:00 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I was losing a great deal of hair, not because of IBS, but due to another medication I'm on, and my doc suggested I take zinc (50 mg/day). It took about 2 months to help, but it has helped--I'm losing significantly less hair now, even people around me have noticed! So it's worth a try.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2516 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 874

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review