All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
help!
      #76804 - 06/07/04 08:41 AM
julie38

Reged: 06/07/04

Hi. My name is Julie and I'm new to this message board. I've been suffering with IBS-D for 10 years. Just starting the IBS diet in Heather's book, and things have gotten worse. Normally, I have terrible diarrhea every 3 days, and then no bowel movements in between. I started with 2 soluble fibers supplements, once per day, and have continued this for 9 days. But now, I'm having diarrhea EVERY day. I'm trying to be patient, but things are worse. It just can't handle this diarrhea, and with it happening so often, my anxiety is coming back. Please help. I would appreciate your suggestions. Thanks!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: help! new
      #76806 - 06/07/04 08:45 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Sounds like it's too much soluble fibre supplement, too fast. What are you on? Do you know how many grams of soluble fibre you're taking?

Cut down on the supplement and wait till your body gets used to it before increasing your dose.

#76809 - 06/07/04 08:52 AM
julie38

I'm taking "Equate- Fiber Laxative". It's the Wal-Mart version of Fibercon. It doesn't say how much fiber is in each caplet, but it says "each caplet contains 625mg calcium polycarbophil equivalent to 500mg polycarbophil".
I'm taking 2 caplets at night, before bed. Suggestions?

#76811 - 06/07/04 08:59 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh. That's NOT a lot. As you're D, I'd really recommend Heather's Acacia. It's VERY gentle and lot of people tolerate it better.

Heather's guidelines are work up to 12-15g of soluble fibre a day, but some of us settle at less - I'm on 9g a day (when I remember ). But you're only taking 1g of soluble fibre a day. That probably won't do a lot.

Could it be anything else? A tummy bug? Stress? NOT eating something that might be constipating (high fat foods are for me)?

#76817 - 06/07/04 09:07 AM
julie38

The only other change is that I added bananas to my diet- 1 small banana per day. Does anyone else have trouble with bananas? Should I stop taking the fiber supplement? Should I increase the dose?
Thanks for your responses Linz.

#76820 - 06/07/04 09:11 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I don't have advice on the supplements, but I wanted to say that I have trouble with bananas. They don't normally give me D, but I get horrible stomach pain, even if they're very ripe. Maybe try cutting those out?

#76824 - 06/07/04 09:21 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Julie and welcome! You're in the right place. I'm one of those people who can't tolerate bananas. You're on the right track with the soluble fiber supplement. I would suggest that you try to increase the amount, VERY slowly. But my strongest recommendation is to get that daily D slowed down by taking Imodium, Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate, and following the BRAT diet for two to three days. BRAT stands for Bananas (which you can't eat so you're down to the "RAT" diet, he he!!). R is for rice, plain white rice. A is for applesauce. And T is for toast, white bread lightly toasted. Plus some peppermint tea (unless you're prone to heartburn.)

Then follow Heather's What to Eat When You Can't Eat Anything list for another 2 to 3 days (it's on the website). Then you can gradually start adding back in some other foods.

Good luck and keep us posted!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#76832 - 06/07/04 09:37 AM

Unregistered

It's to much to start. You have to go really low on a soluable fiber supplement to start. Same thing happened to me. I think I had to take and 1/8 of a teaspoon a day to start.

Just relax and reduce and it should go fine!
Your body will adjust you're just giving it too much to start.

Good luck!

Strange banana advice new
      #77018 - 06/07/04 07:44 PM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

A nurse who is from Poland told my sister to cut off both ends of the banana, after peeling it and before eating it. She said the ends hold more of the potassium then the rest and can make some people sick because it is such a great amount at once. I do it, don't know if it helps but I figure it can't hurt!!!

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Strange banana advice new
      #77022 - 06/07/04 08:10 PM

Unregistered

As far as what I know and heard that it doesn't and part of that is cause that's the only way I eat them.

I'm silly but I was told that a spider will lay it's eggs in the top or bottom (I can't remember which) of the banana so I won't eat it. Silly but I can't eat them any other way now.

Banana can cause gas and they are recomended for constipation. My doctor told me before I travel that I might want to eat several.

And yes they are very high in potassium.

Going bananas new
      #77039 - 06/07/04 10:46 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I've never heard that, however certain fruits and veggies hold more potassium in one section than another, so that may well be true.

Also, there are some meds for high blood pressure that require you NOT to eat high potassium foods. They have a potassium sparing quality about them and one need to keep consumption of high potassium foods at a minumum.

Most people, D's and C's can handle bananas. Others can't and some shouldn't...........

Kandee

--------------------

#77043 - 06/08/04 04:19 AM
PammySue

Reged: 05/12/04
Loc: Southern Indiana

I tried that same brand from Wal-Mart and had diarrhea constantly. My doctor just put me on Benefiber and so far it is really helping. Maybe you can get some samples from your doctor before you spend a lot of money on fiber that you can't tolerate. Hang in there!

Bananas new
      #77102 - 06/08/04 08:29 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

This topic about whether IBSers can handle bananas or not has come up before in the past. Do a search on this! While most IBSers can handle bananas, some people (IBS or not!) can't deal with bananas. There is an ingredient (can't remember the name of it) in the banana that causes the problems.

- Jennifer

--------------------
- Jennifer

plus started to high of an amount -nt- new
      #77188 - 06/08/04 11:47 AM

Unregistered

That's only one-half a gram of fiber per tablet... new
      #77254 - 06/08/04 03:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you're basically taking a generic brand of Fibercon. You want to work up to 12-15 grams of soluble fiber supplement per day, and that would be 24-30 tablets, so obviously that's a lot. You may want to use a powder instead, and add in the tablets when you're traveling and such where convenience is important.

Learn all about soluble fiber supplements here web page

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3491 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2671

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review