Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
When taking fibre supplement
      #75091 - 05/31/04 08:53 PM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Hi
My GI had to dilate my pyloric sphincter at the duodenum this past Friday and when I came to, he was telling me to really put a stronger effort into increasing my fiber intake-both insoluble and soluble. I told him that no matter how hard I try, I get so bloated and the pains are so intense, I end up backing off. Is it normal for someone who is IBS C to have a few bouts of D when increasing fiber intake? I'm starting slowly and he insisted that the metamucil supplement will not harm me, maybe cause a little bloating but it will go away in time. Am I just being a chicken with this pain? Does anyone else go through this-from C to D and will it even out in time?
Thanks a bunch!!
Jerry

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: When taking fibre supplement new
      #75129 - 06/01/04 05:47 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The Acacia here has been the mildest and most helpful thing I have done for my IBS-C!! Start in very small doses - I started with 1t x 2 daily and am now up to 4t x day but I even divide that into 3 doses. It really helps! The initial gut reaction of any discomfort will pass in about 4-5 days. It will be your biggest friend, I promise!!!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

I wouldn't use Metamucil if you have such bloating and pain... new
      #75266 - 06/01/04 12:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

try a more tolerable supplement instead, and see how you do. What your doc cares about is that you're getting the fiber, the brand won't matter.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I wouldn't use Metamucil if you have such bloating and pain... new
      #75675 - 06/02/04 04:07 PM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Thanks Heather. I think I've been here before but seem to be very forgetful Lesson learned for me. Metamucil is out!!

Acacia has been great for me too! new
      #75716 - 06/02/04 06:27 PM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

I started with a low dose also and it really seems to help my C. I had tried Metamucil for years and was never able to take it regularly. I know it works well for some people but it didn't work well for me.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1704

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review