All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Monthly Menstrual Cycle and IBS
      #73147 - 05/25/04 08:16 AM
roogirl

Reged: 05/25/04

Hello, this is the first time I have posted something on this message board, but I have been receiving Heather's newsletter for over a year now. The last several months I have noticed my IBS symptoms increase and become almost unbearable around the time I am close to beginning my period. I saw my doctor who told me there are hormone receptors in the intestines and that the influx of hormones around this time of month can trigger and intensify IBS symptoms. I am wondering if anyone else has the same experience and if so, what are some methods of dealing with it? Are there any studies done on this topic? Sorry to post such a personal message and I am not even sure if this is the correct board to post it on. I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Monthly Menstrual Cycle and IBS new
      #73152 - 05/25/04 08:24 AM

Unregistered

Welcome to my world
I am experiencing it this week unfortunately. The only thing that helps is to eat very very well, almost bland and a heating pad always works. Once I get my period I go right back to normal. but I know how you feel, it sucks.

Dina

#73155 - 05/25/04 08:32 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome! Yes, that is very common. There have been a TON of posts on this, do a broad search with no time limits. Nothing to personal to discuss here!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#73165 - 05/25/04 08:45 AM
NikkiZ52

Reged: 05/16/04

Welcome! My IBS symptoms become worse with my period also...except mine is the first two to three days of my period, not before. I know it is related though, because it happens to me EVERY month.

#73171 - 05/25/04 08:48 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Welcome, Roogirl. You are in exactly the right place. We all experience this (well, not the guys!) and there have been many studies done that confirm this. Heather has them posted in the IBS Research Library. Look at the top of the page for the line that starts IBS Diet and ends with Vegas! You'll see a link for the library.

Again, welcome, and keep coming back!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Yoga, hot packs, peppermint caps, lots of water... new
      #73227 - 05/25/04 10:43 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and be extra careful with fats and insoluble fiber too. Those are the best things I've found. I have had good luck in pretty much eliminating the period-related IBS attacks (and my suspicion is that yoga did the trick). The other elements help both the IBS and the cramps themselves.

And just know to take it easy on yourself - hormones definitely glitch IBS, so plan on it, be careful, get LOTS and LOTS of sleep, treat yourself to some happy splurges, and you'll soon be back on your feet.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#73232 - 05/25/04 10:52 AM
tomoko

Reged: 04/20/04

I get IBS attacks ONLY during the lateral phase (I think that's what it's called) of my cycle - between ovulation and period. My attacks start a few days after ovulation and they stop a day or two before my period starts. If I don't ovulate, I don't get any IBS symptoms at all. Go figure. Thank you for the explanation on what your doc told you about the receptors etc. It makes sense to me...

T

#74314 - 05/28/04 02:56 PM
mspaschal259

Reged: 05/28/04
Loc: North Carolina , USA

My ibs is worse around my period, too. Dr. told me things should get better after menopause.. Great... i still have awhile to go though.

--------------------
-----Marilyn-----

#74338 - 05/28/04 03:38 PM

Unregistered

Relax!!

Sorry I can't spell today but here goes..
I was told to start to take an antinflamatory (Advil I take Advil 400 it's the strongest you can get over the counter)a few days before my period is about to start. When it does keep taking the antiinflamatory and Tylonol.

I was told that I could take the Advil and in 2 hours take the Tylnol so I would be constantly druged.

Mind you before I started taking a solouble fiber I couldn't have a period because it was so horribly painful that nothing helped and the minute it started I was in the worst pain ever and I was like that for the first 3 days of my period. I finally to the depo shot cause I couldn't handle the pain. Right now I go into the hospital on Monday to check for endrometriosis and have been taking birth control pills non-stop (as recommended by my doctor).

Increase to almost double your calcium pills a week before a period. My roomate does this and she used to have to leave work the day her period stated cause she was in pain and would get D. Now it's not as bad.

#82348 - 06/23/04 10:56 AM
Kathy1053

Reged: 06/22/04

On the day I start my period, I have extreme stomach cramps and diarrhea. What treatment do you suggest? Has anyone had an increase in IBS during your period since you went on this plan? I had only mild problems before, but since I went on this plan I have extreme problems. The rest of the month I'm doing great.

#82379 - 06/23/04 11:26 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

For me, the worst is the week before my period (I get extremely tired and dehydrated) and the first few days after it starts. A heating pad and Chamomile tea always help me, especially right before bedtime.

Feel better!
Kristine

#82425 - 06/23/04 01:13 PM
Wookie

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: n/a

This is something I stuggle with and have ever since I got IBS-C. Anxiety gets super bad and IBS-C comes right along with it! I read all the posts under your message but I didn't read anything about Estroven. Have you heard of it?? Well I wanted to pass on my good experience with it. I have been on it for about 2 months and this past month's period wasn't bad at all!!! It takes a while to get in your system (2-3 weeks or so). And all it is is vitamins and herbs that assist us females with our PMS. It is worth a try! I buy it at wal-mart in the equate brand for about $5.50 per month. Plus, it helps me sleep since it has a calming herb in it. I also buy Estroven PMS to take around the first 2-3 days before I start my period. That has a natural diuretic and all in it. Anywho, give it a go sometime! Oh, and you can search it on the internet too!

--------------------
~Wookie

#82445 - 06/23/04 02:02 PM
bttrfly08

Reged: 05/06/04
Loc: Queens, NY

I am also experiencing it right now...so much fun...ha ha
I always have it bad during my first day or so and i just take one immodium and it helps. NOTHING helps with the cramps though for me...just lucky i guess

--------------------
Things happen for a reason...just believe

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2639

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review