All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I am new
      #7298 - 04/25/03 12:34 PM
michee333

Reged: 04/25/03
Loc: Atlanta, Ga

Hello, I have enjoyed reading your comments, suggestions, and jokes. I want to know if anyone suffers the way I do? I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis 2 years ago. No one in family has had this. I try not to complain because I only have episodes 1x a year. Normally last 2 weeks, go away and I can then do whatever I want. Well, this time, 5 weeks, extreme pain..the whole works. Can't eat much, starving every 2 hours, have to go to bathroom every 1/2 hour to hour. Someone said they were afraid to eat, but I am afraid to leave my house. I have to time it just right to leave(doesn't always work) I know where every bathroom is in the city. I keep liners,underwear, soap and lysol with me. Go to work late so I don't sit in traffic. I take Metamucil but I don't have gas. I have lost 10lbs. I have been taken Bifidus and Acidophilus herbs. They have taken the "sharp" pain away. My doctor told me "as long as u take Asacol, u can eat whatever u want" BullS!!! Do alot of u suffer everyday? or like me? I am sorry to vent, but no one else around me knows exactly what I am going through..Thanks for listening.... What can I eat while I am having an episode? I have been eating turkey on sourdough bread, baked chix, string beans, potatos, metamucil, water. Those r the only things I know. Please help...

Oh yeah, michee is my childhood nickname and 3 is my favorite number.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I am new new
      #7301 - 04/25/03 12:42 PM
yolie

Reged: 04/23/03
Loc: Phila, PA

Hi michee,
I was diagnosed last year with IBS and when I had my first episode I passed out in the middle of the street. I understand completely, I have 2 boys and the pain I have from IBS is worse than both of my labors, the pain is tremendous. I was scared to leave adn would make my husband go with me everywhere for the first 4 months. Every so often the pain creeps comes back. I just have to learn to discupline myself and eat properly. It is a long haul but at least here you have people who understand.

yolie

#7306 - 04/25/03 12:51 PM
annmarie

Reged: 03/31/03

I don't have UC but I do have Crohn's Disease. When I was first diagnosed, my doctor told me I could eat anything I wanted too. At first I could. The medication was helping me feel better and they were convinced I was in remission. Then after a couple of months I got so sick. It got to the point I couldn't even keep water down. My doctor assumed my Crohn's was the culprit but after doing a colonoscopy found nothing there. That's when he put me on medication for IBS. I still take meds for both my Crohn's and IBS. I'm trying to get off the meds for IBS by following the diet. There is also a First Year book like Heather wrote for IBS for IBD. It covers both Crohn's and UC. I found it helpful. When I first started eating again I stuck to white bread, mashed potatos, rice, plain pasta, and tuna. For some reason my stomach always loves tuna! And tea! Drink plenty of tea. I can't live without my tea. Hope you feel better.

#7309 - 04/25/03 12:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michee,

I am SO SORRY (((hugs))) I was the one who said I'm scared to eat (and there've been times I've also been afraid to leave my house. That's rare for me though as I have IBS C). I am SO SORRY you are going through all this! I wish I knew how to help you or what to say...my mom has UC and I'll try to ask her what she does for it the next time I speak to her.

I'm glad you posted on the board. I don't know what I'd do without it! I'm sure that you'll get tons of feedback...and lots of helpful info. here! Have you spoken to your doc. recently? Maybe they can help? As for food...you have more diet options than I do right now...so I def. can't help you there (all I'm eating without an attack is potatoes).

I hope you fel better soon. PLEASE keep us updated...and keep posting! I'll be thinkin of you...take care!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7312 - 04/25/03 01:30 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Hi Michee and welcome! Sorry to hear you are hurtin'. I understand the being afraid to leave the house. I am late often because of my IBS-D. My mother in law is my boss and she has Colitis so she is understanding and the owner's father just past away from abdominal cancer so he's pretty understanding too. I often leave early or late to go home so I don't sit in traffic. I know where every clean bathroom is on the way home. I have an emergency kit: toilet seat covers, toilet paper (Charmin ), Charmin Wipes, a clean pair of jeans, underwear, shirt, and shoes. I also carry either Altoids everywhere or mints. My doc's have always said you need to eat more soluble fiber, but never gave me the soluble fiber info. So one day when I was having a pity party I did a search on IBS and found Heather's Eating for IBS site, bought the book, bout the other book, joined the newsletter, and joined the site. I eat a lot of white bread, turkey lunch meat, chicken, rice, potatoes, and green beans.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#7315 - 04/25/03 02:01 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I actually read that green beans aren't good for you?

Is this true? Because I haven't touched one since January when I got diagnosed. I am sure green beans are listed as a no no on breaking the cycle.

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#7328 - 04/25/03 02:56 PM
Laurie

Green beans are a no no for some people. But it's the only veggie left that I like besides beans. I only ate corn, green beans, spinach, and beans before I started having flare ups. So far it's the only one left that doesn't make me gassy or have a flare up. I don't eat the green beans when I'm trying to break the cycle. I also eat one thing at time, I usually eat my rice/potato first, chicken, and then green beans. I am 27 years old and I still eat one thing at time on my plate like a child.

--------------------
Laurie

#7332 - 04/25/03 03:03 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Oh - I wish I could eat beans! They are a huge no no for me! I guess it just re-enforcing the fact that everyones systems are different!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#7360 - 04/25/03 04:49 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I find that I can tolerate green beans as well. I can also tolerate peas, and corn. Lettuce and beans are a no-no though

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7364 - 04/25/03 05:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Michee - Welcome to the board! I'd check the info here web page for what to eat when you're having a hard time eating anything.

Since you have IBD and not IBS, be especially careful to completely avoid all red meat, dairy, and high fat foods. Also be super careful with insoluble fiber foods, which could cause a bowel obstruction for you if you have strictures. There's detailed fiber/food info at http://www.eatingforibs.com/eatcook.htm

I'd also take flax oil or fish oil capsules to get omega 3 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory. Make sure you take these with soluble fiber foods like rice, pasta, oatmeal, or potatoes. And try some of the soothing herbal teas like peppermint or chamomile -this can help with the pain you're going through.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7371 - 04/25/03 06:14 PM
Laurie

I usually cook the beans myself. If my hubby cooks them they'll kill me. I can't eat just anyone's beans. If I eat them during a period where I'm having a flare up, it's a hit and a miss on if they'll kill me. I have found that a few no no foods are ok for me to eat as long as I cook them. I just don't eat the no no food to closely together. While I was on my clinical trial medication I could eat salad again and popcorn, but I had to eat them a few days apart.

--------------------
Laurie

#7502 - 04/26/03 07:39 PM
michee333

Thank you so much for responding, I stayed online yesterday, but hadn't figured out how to interact yet...
Well, I am dropping the string beans for now. I thought it was safe but I am still in the middle of my "episode"

I have been reading all emails, and everyone is so sweet, I want to cry for everyone just knowing and being there. Thanks for welcoming me, I can't help yet, but I will try.
This is my second UC episode. They thought it was IBS at first until they did all the tests...
I ordered Heather's book, so I look forward to eating better and with more variety.

Thanks so much......

#7505 - 04/26/03 07:44 PM
michee333

Thank u, please ask your mom. How often does it occur? I couldn't find a "support group for UC," so I posted with you "guys". The symptoms are very similar. I may have to change gastro doctors, because mine tells me anything, and I know too much to know he is wrong.
You take care too...maybe I will only eat potatoes, maybe that will help me too....

String beans, green beans, etc. new
      #7706 - 04/28/03 03:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Like most veggies, string beans have a lot of insoluble fiber, so you have to eat them carefully. They are tolerable for most folks if they're cooked till very tender, and eaten in fairly small quantities with a soluble fiber food. Same thing for peas and other green veggies. You might well find that you have an individual tolerance for one green veggie more than another - or that it matters more how well they're cooked, how much you eat, etc. Whatever green veggies work best for you is what counts!

Angela - I'm with you about lettuce. It's one of the very hardest things for me. But - raw cabbage, as long as it's finely shredded and I have it with soluble fiber, is just fine. Weird, huh?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: String beans, green beans, etc. new
      #7708 - 04/28/03 03:53 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Heather, yes that is really weird. For some reason, I can tolerate peas, string beans and corn, but i cant tolerate lettuce, celery or carrots(well, for the carrots, just in large amounts) Very strange, but im so happy that i can still have peas because peas are my favorite veggie. (potatoes being my second) I'm in love Peas!!!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 542 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2692

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review