Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber chart
      #7037 - 04/24/03 06:11 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi All,

Following a query on another thread, I've been looking for a fibre chart. 2 links in an older message on this forum no longer point to valid pages.

Searching the Internet produces many results, but few of them distinguish between soluble and insoluble fibre. However, I've found one site that does include a list of several dozen foods with there total, soluble, and insoluble fibre content.

Needless to say that I am not qualified to judge how accurate the information is and cannot therefore be held responsible for any farting, or other side effects, that are caused by anyone choosing to follow this link! <smile>

BTW: Yes, I know most of you prefer to spell it "f I b e r", but I'm in the UK so it's "f I b r e"!

web page

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber chart - thanks, Ian. -nt- new
      #7039 - 04/24/03 06:49 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Fiber chart new
      #7331 - 04/25/03 03:00 PM
BarbBT

Reged: 04/05/03
Loc: Chicago suburb, IL

I was most interested to look at the chart for soluble/insoluble fiber. According to the chart, these foods have a higher insoluble fiber content than soluble fiber content (and I thought these foods were supposed to be so safe?).
Banana: Soluble = .7 gm/ Insoluble = 1.6 gm
Sourdough bread: sol = .9/ Insol = 1.9
White rice: sol = .2/ Insol = .4

Are these numbers accurate???

Thanks for any information anyone might have!
Barbara

#7359 - 04/25/03 04:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There have been several fiber charts posted on the boards, and the interesting thing is they all give different info. When I talked to the company that made the nutritional analysis software I used for Eating for IBS, they told me that the FDA database info for fiber itself was pretty notoriously inaccurate - to the point that the FDA had actually eliminated fiber info for some foods altogether because they knew the info was way off base.

So, now when I see fiber charts, I don't quite know how to take them. For sourdough bread and white rice, I don't even know where the insoluble fiber would come from as the bran has been removed from the wheat and rice in those products. I'm as mystified as you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#7362 - 04/25/03 05:13 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Thats so strange- Truley an unsolved mystery.......

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#7387 - 04/25/03 09:12 PM
BarbBT

Thanks for your answer, Heather. At least I know I'm not the only one mystified about the soluble/insoluble ratios.

Barbara

#7436 - 04/26/03 11:50 AM
Ian

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Apologies for any confusion caused. I should have known the most reliable fibre charts are our own bodies! <smile>

#7439 - 04/26/03 01:18 PM
BarbBT

No need to apologize, Ian. It's always interesting to read new information...even if it contradicts what we already know!

Barbara

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2692 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review