Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
LACTAID PILLS
      #67191 - 05/03/04 09:20 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

HI AGAIN!!

I just have a random question. It does not actually apply to me now, but I have been wondering about it for some time now. A few months ago I purchased the walmart equivalent of lactaid, to see if it would help when I ate dairy products. I took the pills as directed and ate ice cream and felt great! no gas, no diarrhea, none of the usual symptoms I would normally experience if I had ate the ice cream without the pill.

I continued taking it one or two more times and found that they worked well.

However, randomly one day I took them before eating one single tiny little slice of cheese pizza, and two hours later I spent the entire night puking my brains out. I was driving home and felt naseaous. I had to stop at a mcdonalds and puke. absolutely disgusting. luckily my boyfriend was working at a liquor store a quarter or a mile down the road where I spent the night in the bathroom, because there was not enough time between puking to even make the five minute trip home. I figured I had a stomach flu, or perhaps food poisoning and forgot about it.

Then about two weeks later, the next time I took lactaid, I made lasagna and again took the lactiad pills. Again, exactly two hours later I was violently puking and could not even leave the bathroom.

I finally then put two and two together and decided that it must have been the lactaid pills, because both times I puked within two hours of taking them. Since I have eaten dairy products without the pills and have not thrown up.
I was just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with lactose intolerance pills, because I find it strange that they worked at first, and then caused me to throw up. oh, and I'm not a puker, infact it is my least favorite activity so its not like much makes me puke!

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: LACTAID PILLS new
      #67334 - 05/04/04 10:36 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I use the lactaid pills before eating any dairy products and they really help me. Maybe because the 2 times that you threw up you had eaten things with sauce in them. Maybe the sauce mixed with the lactaid was more than your system could handle. Have you tried just eating ice cream and taking a lactaid since this? I know I have trouble with tomatoe sauces so I use Prelief. The makers of lactaid make this and you take it before you eat/drink anything that is that is high in acid. I usually take this and a lactaid especially before eating pizza or lasagna and it helps because if I don't then I feel really neasous.

--------------------
Janice B

#67343 - 05/04/04 11:02 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I take the exact same lactaid pills from Walmart. They have helped me and I have never gotten sick from them. I also drink Lactaid milk...it's really good.

Barbie

--------------------

Bizarre... new
      #67344 - 05/04/04 11:03 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

you ought to call your pharmacist or doctor. that's really weird. i just went to the Lactaid site and it looks to me as if the only thing in there is lactase.

you said you bought generic? i wonder if something is wrong with that batch!? you should call the company and ask about that lot #. on the off-chance there is something wrong with the product, it would be good to let them know. can you imagine if an elderly person tried to take it, or someone who is sick with something?

what a wierd thing.

--------------------

#67345 - 05/04/04 11:06 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

I actually have not tried them again. I did eat them with ice cream alone before they made me puke and I did fine, but now i'm terrified that I'll spend another night wrapped around a toilet if I take them again.
I'll have to do some investigation...
but i dont' know if i'm brave enough to give them another chance.. perhaps i'm not lactose intolerant, and there was too much lactose in my system.. if that is possible?!?

--------------------

#67347 - 05/04/04 11:10 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

i'm not lactose intolerant, yet before i knew i had IBS i thought i might be. i took Lactaid a bunch of times without a problem. same with my brother.

that's why i'm wondering if it's something in that particular lot of Walmart-lactaid. i'm not saying there's anything wrong with the product, just that maybe something happened in the plant with that particular batch???

i wouldn't even want to "test" it again! YUCK. i hate puking, too, and rarely do it. i'm not brave enough to take something i have good reason to believe may make me vomit.

UGH.

--------------------

LACTAID question?? new
      #67366 - 05/04/04 11:48 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I thought it was the protien or something in the milk that upsets our tummies, not the actual diary in it.

So I thought lactiad didn't help that much. Does it depend on the person???

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Dairy is a trigger, for many different reasons... new
      #67400 - 05/04/04 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and lactose is one of them. The high fat content, especially saturated fat, is another. The dairy proteins, casein and whey, are two more. Just because you knock out one of the triggers (say, the lactose) doesn't mean that dairy is then safe for IBS. Many folks with IBS are lactose intolerant as well - but not all. Lactaid pills can sometimes make a difference for them, but sometimes not. If you're not lactose intolerant but still have IBS, Lactaid pills won't do a darn thing to help you.

That's why, in a nutshell, it's just easier and safer (not to mention healthier) to eliminate dairy altogether and use soy/rice/almond/oat substitutes.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#67538 - 05/04/04 07:07 PM
supersilks

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Phoenix, Az

hey.
i'm new and fairly clueless, but i will tell you that i cannot stomache soy milk (makes me sick) and i don't like the taste of almond, soy or rice milk..especially over cereal. I have been using lactaid milk (not pills) since cutting out all dairy 3 weeks ago with no problems. I generally have a tiny bit in my half cup of coffee (yes, i know, i'll be off coffee soon. am working on it)...and on occasion I'll have some over one of the 'safe' cereals. I use it in cooking too... for mashed potatos and stuff.
i've had no reaction so far that i can see

--------------------
~Barb
www.supersilks.com
Everyone deserves silk
I'm the mama. Just the mama. Always the mama.

#67651 - 05/05/04 07:14 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I had the exact same reaction! Before I knew I had IBS I thought I was just lactose intolerant. I had some ice cream with 2 lactaid pills. Felt fine, went to bed ... woke up feeling so nauseated that I barely made it to the bathroom before, as you said, puking my brains out. Thought it was a fluke, tried it again 2 nights later. Exact same thing happened. After I threw up I felt fine, and did not feel sick at all the next day. My allergist and my GI were both baffled. It's so validating to hear you went through the same thing! My only theory is that usually dairy goes right through me. Maybe by adding the lactaid I kept it in there longer than my body was used to, so I threw up? Totally guessing here.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Soy is not safe for everyone new
      #67695 - 05/05/04 08:18 AM
Janice B

Reged: 04/14/04
Loc: New Jersey

I've tried the roasted soy beans, soy yogurt, soy milk and soy cookies and have always had bad reactions to them, not to mention the soy milk/yogurt taste awful. People should be careful with soy products because they might not be ment for everyone.

--------------------
Janice B

Re: Soy is not safe for everyone new
      #67711 - 05/05/04 08:40 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You have to take it slow when introducing soy substitutes as any change can be hard on your tummy and soy is quite different to "normal" foods. Just try drinking a little soy milk at first and then work up. You do also have to check the fat content on some soy products, especially stuff like cookies.

#67768 - 05/05/04 09:28 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

oh my gosh.. its so so strange isn't it?!?! I'm not too bad with certain kinds of dairy, like cheese, which is what I ate.. its so strange!

--------------------

#67844 - 05/05/04 11:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Wow, that's weird. I was lactose intolerant before my IBS worsened and took Lactaid pills all the time without getting sick. I still take them occassionally when I'm going to cheat (which is not very often because I'm not usually willing to take the risk!) and they work fine. How weird that they worked fine for you sometimes but not others. I'm not sure what to tell you!

As for the Lactaid milk, I'd beware! I used to be able to drink it without a problem and then one day it just started making me as sick as regular milk! I guess Heather's right... milk in any form doesn't mesh well with IBS.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#68122 - 05/06/04 07:48 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Luckily, Since I was a child I've always hated foods like milk, sour cream, cottage cheese, mayo.. i'm just not a creamy kinda girl. The only thing that is so hard to give up is cheese, which is the reason why I was taking the lactiad pills in the first place. I hate most dairy, but cheese is my weakness!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6016 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review