All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Please, help!
      #6689 - 04/21/03 07:49 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thank you all for being so patient and supportive with me!

My husband took me to buy a pedometer today. I walked three miles, leisurely, and came home. I was SO proud! I've been really following the diet, even though it's Passover and I'm missing all my favorite yummy foods, and I felt like celebrating. The walking was the best part--I was taking not only diet but exercise into my hands as well (not that I expect results overnight--bu the idea that I DID IT--I got out and walked and did something good for myself--I felt on top of the world)! A couple of hours later I had the WORST gas pain and cramping--I was holding onto the chair at the dinner table for support and biting my lip the pain was so bad (I didn't cry--I couldn't cry--all I could do was try to stay on the chair)I used the heating pad, drank peppermint tea, moved around, NOTHING helped! (My husband suggested sitting up straight, moving my tummy from side to side--that seemed to help move things along a bit). FINALLY, after about 45 mins of this agony, I passed gas, thank G-d!!!!!!!!! I wasn't able to eat my dinner though...and I was so waek I just lay down and listened to my hypnotherapy tape and fell asleep. I woke up and about 4 hours after the whole thing began I ate dinner. Now I'm in pain again! (Not nearly as bad as the first time--but I'm starting to think eating ANYTHING will cause an attack nowadays).

I'm beginning to consider that IBS might not be my only problem? I feel like some of my symptoms might be out of the realm of IBS...I burp and hiccup a lot, sometimes I have burps I can taste, but not so often, vinegar and mustard/ketchup kill, anything spicy upsets my tummy--is this all a part of IBS? Can people on the board eat cranberry sauce and mashed fruit? It kills me! Garlic and onion are no-nos. I KNOW I do have IBS--but do I have something else too? How can celiac be a possiblity when bread is one of the only things I CAN eat safely? Is there something out there I don't know about...do these symptoms sound like something else anyone's heard of?

Thanks so much everyone--I know I'll get this figured out someday...especially with this board and all the wonderful people on it!!!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please, help! new
      #6690 - 04/21/03 08:10 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

That exact thing happens to me when I eat potatoes. Unfortunately, it is a staple for the IBS diet. That makes eating REALLY hard, especially when I go out.

#6784 - 04/22/03 01:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Belching can be a symptom of gallbladder problems. Have they checked you for that?

About the celiac, I'm not sure what the lag time can be between eating gluten and having a reaction to it. Some people do respond almost instantly, but there seems to be a lot of variation with every aspect of this disease. This makes me wonder if other folks don't notice problems for a day or two (or even longer) after they eat gluten. Just brainstorming here...I'm so frustrated that you're working so hard and still getting hit with such pain out of the blue. I'm sorry...I do think the hypno tapes will help with this no matter what, so I've got my fingers crossed for that.

Hugs to you Ruchie,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6786 - 04/22/03 01:56 PM
Snow for Sarala

Heather,

Wow, I (and my doc) never thought of my gallbladder! Should I bring it up with him? Are there tests involved? What are some other symptoms (do you know of a link I can check out for that--you have the BEST links)? Thanks SO MUCH for your support...I know things WILL get better! Sometimes it's hard...you don't see results and you want to cheat...but I have faith that if I keep trying to take care of myself...good things will happen! the hypnotherapy is truly WONDERFUL...I can't see I do/don't see results yet...but I enjoy the tapes!!! (And I have a gut feeling they're helping...even If I don't see it concretely yet). I'll definately keep you posted...thanks again Heather, you're the BEST!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#6788 - 04/22/03 02:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Did a quick search and found this web page for gallbladder info.

Check here web page for diagnostic info.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6796 - 04/22/03 03:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

((((((hugs))))))))

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

GallBladder/GERD new
      #6804 - 04/22/03 05:01 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Ruchie,
I am so sorry for your inconvience. I heard that you might have some gallbladder problems. I, too am being checked for gallbladder disease. My chemistry teacher had gall stones, and her gallbladder removed. However, she told me that usually when the gallbladder is the culprit, you have D. Do not you have IBS-C? I am almost positive that gallbladder disease does not cause C in people but rather D. It sounds like to me that you could be having problems with acid as well as ibs. I have acid reflux disease and burping was definitly one of my misfortuned symtoms, also bloating.If i were you, Id get scheduled for a upper endoscopy. It completely painless and has no side effects. Acid could be ruining your esophegous (It destroyed mine)

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Edited by ConcreteAngel (04/22/03 05:03 PM)

#6814 - 04/22/03 05:38 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Ruchie,

I'm so sorry for your pain! I wish I could do something to help you. Unfortunately I just don't know what to suggest.

Maybe see your GE again to rule out other problems as the others have suggested. I too, find that burping and nausea are often part of the IBS, but I do have gastritis also. I am on a drug that has helped the nausea a lot.

Anyway, I wish so much I could help you, I am thinking of you.
Hugs,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#6826 - 04/22/03 06:15 PM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Try to up your water intake before, during and after exercise. Maybe dehydration has something to do with it??? I know you're probably drinking lots herbal teas and water, but exercise really dehydrates a person if they're not used to it.

I found drinking room temperature water instead of ice cold felt much better.

Hoping you feel better soon!
Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6829 - 04/22/03 06:26 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Ruchie,
I feel so bad for you!! I hope things get better soon.
My gallbladder was checked last Fall. The Doc used a Hydascan and it isn't any big deal. The best part is you will be able to keep your clothes on!! Do another Google search for Hydascan.
Have you ever had an ensoscope done? If you haven't ask your Doc about that too. If your Doc scopes you - you can be checked for Celiac Disease and GERD. Hopefully you don't have untreated Gastriris.
Hope this helps. You take care!
Barb

Re: GallBladder/GERD new
      #6835 - 04/22/03 06:40 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - I think everyone's different when it comes to all illnesses. When I was having my gall bladder probs, I didn't have D at all, but I certainly felt better after I went after an attack. I wouldn't wish those attacks on anybody. One of the worst things I've gone thru.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6839 - 04/22/03 06:52 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

My little potato latke - my gall bladder attacks gave me a pain in the center of my chest between my breasts that made it very hard to breathe and I sweated profusely--don't know if it was because I was afraid I was having a heart attack and in my car at the time or from the attack itself. I got very hot and had to pull the car over, leave the engine running and turn up the A/C full blast to try to cool down. I couldn't decide if I wanted to call an ambulance on my cell phone or if I could just drive there. So, I did nothing but sit there and wait to see what happened. It finally eased up enough to where I just wanted to go home and go to the bathroom, which did make me feel better. That happened 2 more times before I went to the doc. He and I decided it could be one of 2 things--a heart attack, since it runs in my family--or my gallbladder. So he did a cardiogram right there in the office and there were no problems. Then he sent me for an ultrasound and they found a ton of stones. When the doc did the surgery, he said that there were so many stones, he couldn't even count them. He even had to make the incision bigger because after he collapsed the gall bladder, he couldn't get it through the original opening because of all the stones. Never had another attack since then.

The pain comes from a stone trying to get through the duct to the liver, where the gall bladder drains into. Once the stone gets thru, the pain subsides. While that little stone is trying to get thru the duct is where the pain comes in. I guess it's kinda like kidney stones. Once the stone passes, the pain stops. But then there are more stones you have to deal with. The doc said it's better to have larger stones because they can't get thru the duct to cause pain (well, better than having tiny stones, that is!)
And, the pain usually starts after eating something fatty or cucumbers, or something fried, etc. My pain started about 1-2 hours after my meal. Had a fried chicken sandwich with cheese and fries with my Mom at a restaurant (this is before WW and before IBS).

Hope this helps.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1805 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2024

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review