All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
peppermint tea and fiber question for Heather or anyone else who knows the answears
      #66643 - 05/01/04 05:34 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I was wondering how much peppermint tea is too much to have in one day since it can cause heartburn if you have too much. Also how much fiber should you get from food each day or is there a specific amount? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: peppermint tea and fiber question for Heather or anyone else who knows the answears new
      #66649 - 05/01/04 06:38 PM
Ericasmom

Reged: 04/27/04
Loc: Arizona

Hi! I have acid reflux. I try to keep the peppermint tea to only twice a day at the most, and I only use it when I have a pretty bad upset tummy. It is my understanding that peppermint capsules may be a little easier to digest, but you might want to check that with someone who's tried them. As far as the fiber, have you checked the introductory page and the posts at the top of this board? I just read them the other day and they have a lot of info about what types of fiber are good. Good luck!

Amy

--------------------

Re: peppermint tea and fiber question for Heather or anyone else who knows the answears new
      #66689 - 05/02/04 04:54 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

hi, there. this may not be the answer you wanted to hear, but it's the only answer i've got. when it comes to how much peppermint tea is "too much," you're just going to have to judge for yourself. i can't have any without getting heartburn. other people drink it all day. it's an individual thing... and you might find that on some days you can tolerate more than others. there are also peppermint caps, but i can't take them either. apparently peppermint and i aren't friends!

as for the fiber... i don't know that there's a specific amount you're "supposed" to get from fiber. i figure with my soluble fiber supplements and soluble fiber based meals i'm probably more than covered. maybe you should check with your doctor and see how much is recommended for you? i saw one website that said adults should get 20-35 grams a day, but i'm sure more isn't a problem unless you're having D or C...

--------------------

#66797 - 05/02/04 12:30 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Angel, Too much peppermint tea gives some people heartburn but others seem to drink gallons of it without a problem. I can tolerate a cup once in a while when my other meds and stuff still haven't helped, but one time when I had about four or five cups in one day I had the WORST heartburn I've ever had in my life.

I also tried the peppermint caps and started burping up peppermint which was weird so I stopped taking them.

JenX, doesn't Heather have a recommended amount of fiber somewhere? I seem to remember it but darned if I have the energy to search for it. Not that you do either but maybe someone else can find it!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Daily fiber requirement info is in the IBS Supplements section new
      #66831 - 05/02/04 02:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

here's the paragraph:

The USDA recommended minimum fiber intake for adults is 25 to 35 grams daily, and soluble fiber should account for one third to one half of this total amount. Some scientists actually recommend up to 60 grams of fiber a day, so the USDA recommendations are not maximum dosage limitations. The typical American eats only a meager 10-15 grams of fiber daily. For comparison, the average fiber intake in China is 33 grams of fiber a day, and it ranges as high as 77 grams per day in some regions.

Here's the page All about soluble fiber supplements

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Daily fiber requirement info is in the IBS Supplements section new
      #66838 - 05/02/04 02:56 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Thanks, Heather!! Good thing YOU don't have fibromyalgia or we'd all be in trouble!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Daily fiber requirement info is in the IBS Supplements section new
      #67520 - 05/04/04 05:26 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I wish I could have at least 25 grams a day but I have really severe gas, bloating, water retention so I can only eat a small amount of food each day or else my symtoms get even worse. I can't even have at least 128oz. of water each day. It's horrible.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 781

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review