All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather, have u heard of....
      #6638 - 04/21/03 03:20 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

the blood type diet and, was wondering what u think, not that I would use it but my hubby is thinking about it.

--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather, have u heard of.... new
      #6643 - 04/21/03 03:49 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

I have heard of it on the IBS self help BB. Other than that, Im not really familiar with it, could anybody prehaps elaborate?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6655 - 04/21/03 04:58 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My sister-in-law was talking about this over the weekend. Her family has been on it for a year and she just saw her parents and thought they looked great. She went to the library and got a book out on it and just started doing the diet and said she feels so much more energetic. Of course her four month old daughter is starting to sleep throught the night. Anyways, her blood type is A, which is mine too and she said she shouldn't eat red meat and dairy and be careful with carbohydrates. Just thought I would throw my two cents in.

#6660 - 04/21/03 05:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've heard of it, read the book a few years ago. It was interesting. I'm type A negative, and some of the foods to avoid seemed on target (meat and dairy, if I remember right) but others were a little odd. And some of the things that were supposed to be just fine would have killed me. I was looking at the diet specifically with an eye for IBS, though, and maybe that wasn't fair.

The science behind the book is interesting, but not validated. The theory is that the way a drop of your blood reacts to reagents in various foods can be extrapolated to predict how your entire body/health will react to eating those foods. The book has been trounced by a lot of medical authorities because the author hasn't moved out of the lab and into clinical studies, that are double-blind and published in peer-reviewed journals and all that stuff.

I've actually wondered if there is some weird tie-in here with IBS and blood type - I don't know why there would be, and I've never seen a study on this. But it might be interesting to see what most people with IBS have as their blood types in general. The people who have written to me asking about the book before have never had type A blood like me.

Wish I had more to offer here...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I"m type A negative too! -nt- new
      #6661 - 04/21/03 05:28 PM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

#6687 - 04/21/03 07:31 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather - do you think this calls for a poll? I don't know what my blood type is, but I can probably find out.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6699 - 04/22/03 05:12 AM
Nikki

Reged: 03/22/03
Loc: London, UK

I heard of the this on the IBS self help group also and i think the consensus was that it was a load of rubbish. I really don't understand how blood type could effect that kind of thing. Thee was no scientific evdience supporting it anyway.

Nikki

#6700 - 04/22/03 05:16 AM
Nikki

Reged: 03/22/03
Loc: London, UK

http://www.ibsgroup.org/cgi-local/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000610

I'm type O new
      #6757 - 04/22/03 10:06 AM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Thanks, Heather, for addressing this. Some of it does make sense, but to not have it backed up by science makes one skeptical.

Also, Sharon, thanks for your reply to my previous post on the topic. I do need to up my SF & water intake. Fibercon is my favorite.

I don't access the net as much as I'd like to but I love this site and board! Talk to you all again soon.

--------------------
++++++

#6758 - 04/22/03 10:14 AM
NewYrsBB

Reged: 04/15/03

Nikkisue, thanks for the link!!

--------------------
++++++

#6771 - 04/22/03 01:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I thought about taking a poll - figured it would be interesting, and would also probably reveal every blood type possible can have IBS. So, yeah, let's try one and see what happens for fun. I'll post it separately.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Take the poll - what's YOUR blood type? new
      #6772 - 04/22/03 01:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Okay - for the sake of curiosity let's see what everyone's blood types are. I'm not sure which type is supposed to be most likely to have IBS according to the "eat right for your type" book but it will be interesting to see what our highly scientific polling reveals!

What's your blood type?

A
B
AB
O

View the results for this poll

- Heather

--------------------

Re: Take the poll - what's YOUR blood type? new
      #6774 - 04/22/03 01:23 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I don't know my blood type Do you need to ask your doc...or is there some other way to find out? Do you have to have your doc give you a blood test to find out? I want to participate......thanks Heather (as always)!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Can't Remember! - nt- new
      #6780 - 04/22/03 01:41 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

#6781 - 04/22/03 01:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

You do have to do a little lab test to determine this. You could probably just call your doc and they'll tell you (it should be in your files). We tested our blood in an anatomy class in high school, but I can't remember what tools we needed. Probably not your average household items...

- Heather

--------------------

#6783 - 04/22/03 01:44 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

LOL...you don't say!

Thanks Heather! Really...you took anatomy...that's FASCINATING (they didn't even offer that in my high school...)! Also, thanks for the fiber info...when I finish the orange citrucel I plan to try the equalactin...if I do, I'll let you know how it goes! Have a super Tuesday!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#7095 - 04/24/03 01:42 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

I found out my blood type by donating blood one time....they sent me a card in the mail a couple months later to tell me my blood type. That could always be an option, it's for a good cause and you get to know your blood type Though I am at college, and theres always some sort of blood drive going on, which makes it definitely more accessible...

Also, I was wondering if the +/- on your blood type would affect anything? I know I am O-, which is far less common than O+.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#7281 - 04/25/03 10:39 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

When you have a baby you will probable have to have a RhoGAM shot. That makes sure the Rh factor doesn't affect your second child. This is crutial if you partner has a + blood type. I know from experience. I am A- but my husband is - as well so we have no problem. I just have to have a shot at 28 weeks of pregnancy and then they check the baby after birth. If the baby has a + blood type then you need the shot. Also, if you ever have a miscarriage you need the shot. My sister just had a miscarriage a couple weeks ago and had to have the shot. Fun.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1515 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review