All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Sweet Stuff!
      #63780 - 04/22/04 09:24 AM
Bobster

Reged: 04/21/04
Loc: tampa, fl.

Howdy there! Does sweet stuff ever fire up your IBS system? Especially early in the morning. If I eat something sweet on an empty stomach especially, you can say goodnight, Im done!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sweet Stuff! new
      #63787 - 04/22/04 09:29 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yup, me too. Plus a wicked drop in blood sugar about 11am. But it may be the fat rather than the sugar that triggers the IBS. Are we talking sweet rolls here or donuts? My nastiest IBS attacks are from overdoing rich sweets with lots of fats.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

#63801 - 04/22/04 09:42 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

I always thought sugary stuff triggered me, but now that I've read the info on different sugars and whatnot I'm not so sure. Over the years I have lost a taste for it from avoiding it, so I'm not overly concerned. I was always a pastry person myself, but not anymore! Right now I'm focusing on avoiding things with high fructose corn syrup in the ingredients. Which brings me to a question- I noticed at the grocery store that Lenders bagels have high fructose corn syrup in them- does that mean that they are not okay to eat?

--------------------
-Sheri

#63883 - 04/22/04 12:06 PM
Bobster

If I drink one or two glasses of sweet tea,soda,OJ, etc...My stomach blows up and I get pain and gas big time.

#63890 - 04/22/04 12:15 PM
Megs

Reged: 04/03/04

My stomach does not appreciate when I drink soda or juice basically ever but especially in the morning when my stomach is empty. There is a big hole in my heart where my love for Coca Cola or juice once was but I HATE attacks so for me it is worth it. Tea doesn't give me a problem but I don't drink regular tea anymore(no caffeine). Herbal hot tea for me unless I pick up an herbal iced tea that has honey in it or something later. I do still drink ginger ale but no empty stomach!

-Megs

Can you be more specific? new
      #63891 - 04/22/04 12:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Regular refined sugar is rarely a problem for IBS, but sweets often are because they have other triggers. What exactly are you eating or drinking? Most sweet foods are super high in fat and often have dairy as well. Sweet drinks can have high fructose corn syrup, or if they're sodas, the carbonation is problematic.

Odds are it's not the "sweet" element that's doing you in but something else in there.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Sheri- on the Bagels.... new
      #63897 - 04/22/04 12:24 PM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

Sheri, if you are EXTREMELY sensitive to HFCS, id stay away from the bagels, but truth be told, the amount of HFCS in the lenders bagels is so small, and the bagel itself does carry some good fiber, so i wouldnt worry about it. For me, even, HFCS is a HUGE trigger for me, but i can eat lenders bagels no problem

#63906 - 04/22/04 12:40 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

Quote:

If I drink one or two glasses of sweet tea,soda,OJ, etc...My stomach blows up and I get pain and gas big time.

sweet tea- sweetened with what? if it has aspartame in it, many people get IBS symptoms from that... apparently Splenda is sketchy, too. tea itself can have caffiene, which many people can't tolerate (it's a GI irritant).

soda- diet sodas have aspartame. all sodas have carbonation which can irritate the Gi tract. caffiene is a GI irritant.

OJ- acidity can aggrevate the GI tract.

have you tried to drink any of these after a nice meal full of soluble fiber? you may find them more tolerable... but you may not. in that case, join the rest of us as we drink all the water in the world: straight up, on the rocks, in herbal teas. then you can really go crazy and have a nice glass of vanilla soy milk. yum. or rice milk. not convinced? my last ditch effort to put a positive spin on this: drinking lots of water helps the soluble fiber you are consuming "gel" in the intestines so things keep moving at the pace they should ("normal"). that's what i remind myself when i'm craving a Coke (then i run off to fix myself a fruit smoothie, 'cause at least that tastes decadent!).

--------------------

#63987 - 04/22/04 04:45 PM
Bobster

Well, the iced tea is store bought, sweetened with sugar.I have just started to drink the peppermint tea, ginger tea and today the fennel tea, and they dont seem to bother me. I can tolorate the regular tea much better with a full stomach. Oh well, I have to watch my Ps & Qs

#64018 - 04/22/04 05:44 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I think some of those storebought iced tea mixes contain high fructose corn syrup, which is a problem for many IBSers. You might want to check the ingredients, that could definitely be what's bothering you.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#64038 - 04/22/04 07:59 PM
Bobster

Yea, I did check and it said sugar, but who knows really. I do think sugar on an somewhat empty stomach is a definate no-no for me.

#64050 - 04/22/04 08:53 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Well, it's good that you're listening to your body! It's pretty frustrating trying to figure out what works for you and what doesn't, isn't it??

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#64095 - 04/23/04 06:18 AM
Bobster

Yes it is, also the price we pay in pain is hard to measure. If it were money, we would be rich by now!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1281 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review