All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Benefiber new
      #62073 - 04/16/04 08:50 PM
123AVaughan

Reged: 03/31/04

I have tried Benefiber and I find it stabilizes me more.
With Citrucel it actual promotes me to have more bowel movements as to diarrhea and then causes excess cramps. My doctor highly recommended the Citrucel. I had never really asked about the others until I got to this board and brought Heather's book and there is a section in the Month2 about Soluble Fibers that I have a question, maybe someone can answer if not answered already.

On page 163 she writes

"Make sure that your soluble fiber supplements are not the sugar-free variety as artificial sweeteners can cause diahrrhea in sensitive people." This is from the book of the First Year of IBS and I was reading the Benefiber canister and it says that it is sugar free. I am confused as this does not cause excess diahrrhea but the Citrucel does. So I am confused. What do you think, am I interpreting this wrong?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#62074 - 04/16/04 08:54 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

What does the benefiber say it uses as its artificial sweetner, sortibal, aspertame, something else?

#62075 - 04/16/04 08:57 PM
123AVaughan

I read the label and I do not see that indicator, all it says is that it is sugar free. I find great results with it over Citrucel and that is the one, Citucel that my doc recommeded. Question in reading Benfiber it says to use one Tablespoon in 4 oZ of water and to use 2 if drinking 8 0z, what type of fiber is Benefiber over Citucel. Why do you think my doc would recommed Citucel over Benefiber?

#62077 - 04/16/04 09:09 PM
crampgirl

A Vaughan - check Heather's info on various fibers at web page . She knows a lot more about it than I do. Possibly benefiber is newer. Some doctors just seem married to their one type of fiber. I had one doc that always said to take metamucil but I and most others her have problems with it. If benefiber works good for you that is good. I have been considering trying that myself and also acacia, just haven't switched over yet. Maybe the sugar free in benefiber means there is no type of sugar at all, including artificial. It is the artificial kind that hurts most of us. Why don't you type in all the ingredients and someone may recognize any artificial sweetners if they are in there. I think citrucil (memory here) has methylcelulose as it's fiber source. Type that in on the internet as a search to find out more about what exactly it is. Keep us posted.

#62084 - 04/16/04 09:36 PM
123AVaughan

The ingredients

Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum ( A 100% natural fiber) I found this on the net about it

Partially hydrolyzed guar gum: clinical nutrition uses.

Slavin JL, Greenberg NA.

Department of Food Science and Nutrition, University of Minnesota, 1334 Eckles Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55108, USA. jslavin@umn.edu

OBJECTIVE: This paper provides a review of research on partially hydrolyzed guar gum that is relevant to clinical nutrition practice. METHODS: All relevant papers published on partially hydrolyzed guar gum were reviewed and the results summarized. RESULTS: Partially hydrolyzed guar gum (PHGG) is a water-soluble dietary fiber with a wide range of uses in clinical nutrition. Its low viscosity allows its use in enteral products and beverages. PHGG can be added to enteral formulas and food products as a dietary fiber source. PHGG provides the benefits associated with dietary fiber ingestion. Addition of PHGG to the diet reduced laxative dependence in a nursing home population. PHGG also reduced the incidence of diarrhea in septic patients receiving total enteral nutrition and reduced symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. PHGG also increased production of Bifidobacterium in the gut. CONCLUSION: The ease of use of PHGG and its clinical effectiveness make it a good choice in clinical nutrition practice

So I guess I will stick to Benefiber and toss Citrucel to the side. I will also try fibercon to see if this works as well I need to have something portable as the Benefiber is powder, too bad that they do not make that in tablets, I would live on it. Thanks you all have been help here, I am new and I have found more results on this site than any where else. My doctor has been helpful but I never really got a jist of what I had even though he explained it to me, I never understood it. Finding this site by accident was a great thing. Thank you !!

#62085 - 04/16/04 09:43 PM
123AVaughan

Wait I am excited, I just found out that Benefiber comes in chewable tablets. I love it. :-)

Benefiber has no sugar or artificial sweeteners... new
      #62087 - 04/16/04 10:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

which is just dandy. Often the supplements that say "sugar free" have artificials sweeteners instead - you don't want that. Benefiber doesn't have either, so no problem there.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Sugar-Free Citracel? new
      #62160 - 04/17/04 11:34 AM
Lilybear

Reged: 04/05/04
Loc: east coast, usa

we aren't suppose to use sugar-free citracel? i thought that would be okae bcos it was "sugar free." should i go buy the non-sugar free type?

Re: Sugar-Free Citracel? new
      #62172 - 04/17/04 01:52 PM
crampgirl

When it says sugar free with citrucil it means it has "artificial" sweetners which can hurt us. Benefiber says sugar free but doesn't have any artificial sweetners. Watch out for artificial sweetners like aspertame, sorbital and others.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3131 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review