All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Citrucel...orange versus clear....
      #6148 - 04/15/03 02:11 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I read the ingredients on my orange citrucel label and sucrose was the only "ose" listed. I seem to recall reading on the board that orange has fructose in it and I was trying to convince my husband to let me spend the money on the clear because I thought it might help with the bloating and the cramps I've been having. But I have no proof! I tried doing a search for citrucel with no luck to prove my facts. Any faqs anyone? Mucho gracias!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Citrucel...orange versus clear.... new
      #6150 - 04/15/03 02:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I don't think that Citrucel uses real orange to get the orange flavor. It does sometimes use citric acid, which of course is acidic, and which can trigger heartburn for some folks. The sucrose shouldn't be a problem. But, the color and flavor all require additives, and you could be sensitive to them.

You might try the clear and see if it works better for you. Or, try Benefiber, which has no added ingredients at all, just soluble fiber. You might actually have the best luck with Equalactin or Fibercon pills - they seem to be tolerated better than the powders by people who are sensitive to the filler ingredients.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6499 - 04/19/03 10:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

THANX!!! I am considering trying equalactin (sp) when my citrucel runs out...or the clear citrucel. I've tried fibercon, benefiber, and metamucill with no success. Any advice which to go with--citrucel clear or equalactin (given the history of what's worked and what hasn't)? Thank you tons!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

question about citracel new
      #6508 - 04/20/03 06:58 AM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I have been having bad heartburn/reflux lately and I'm starting to wonder if its my citracel or oatmeal. My mom gets indigestion when she eats oatmeal. I posted this question on another post and was wondering when you take 2 tablets of citracel and when you drink 8 oz. of water, do you drink the 8 oz. of water all at once or can you drink a little bit, put it down and then a couple minutes later drink a little bit more, put it down, etc.? I hope this question makes sense.

Please Ignore the above question.....Thanks Heather! n/t new
      #6510 - 04/20/03 07:00 AM
Leanne01

#6630 - 04/21/03 01:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I tolerate all the soluble fiber supplements well, so I'm not the best source of an opinion here, but I think from hearing from other folks that there hasn't been one single person who didn't tolerate Equalactin. I don't know that I've heard much of a difference in how people tolerate regular Citrucel versus clear, so if one isn't working well for you I'm not sure the other version would make a huge change. If you can get the Equalactin easily I'd try that.
I also like that they're tablets, but chewable. They're very easy to take as a result.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6631 - 04/21/03 01:48 PM
Leanne01

does anybody know if you can get Equalactin at Wal Mart?

#6634 - 04/21/03 02:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

You should be able to. I've seen at a wide range of drug stores and Target stores, so I'd be surprised if Wal Mart didn't have it - probably for the best price, too.

- H

--------------------

#6790 - 04/22/03 02:12 PM
Galwae

Reged: 04/10/03

Hi there, I officially signed on to the message boards a few weeks ago and check in every few days or so and receive a tremendous amount of information from folks, to which I am extremely grateful. Often times, my questions are answered just by logging in and searching for things. Thanks to all of you for your enthusiasm and compassion.

I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate the boards. They feel like one big circle, cause I keep looping in and out of things.... confusing. I get lost just as often as I find my way :crazy:

Anyways, I wanted to speak to Heather's comment about Equalactin, and how she didn't think anyone has had a negative effect from it. I've been taking it for about a month now usually before lunch. Often, I feel full after eating a small meal (I think it's from drinking all that water with the tablets), but what's most disturbing is that I feel like I can't breathe very well. Today, as I was driving to work it dawned on me to re-read the back of the package and right there in bold print, it says if you experience difficulty breathing seek immediate medical attention. I decided to stop taking it and stick with the Citrucel, but just thought I would throw that out there. Wondered if anyone else feels that way?
Something else I wanted to ask is whether or not anyone ever feels their tongue tingle? Yeah, sounds kind of weird doesn't it? But I notice mine always tingles at night when I lay down for bed and it got me wondering if it's IBS related or one of my own special neurosis?

#6842 - 04/22/03 07:18 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Galwae - welcome to our IBS boards. Yes, navigating the boards can be difficult at times--I've only been doing it since January!!! If you have any specific questions about navigation, please post and we'll all try to help you.

I take Fibercon (generic at Wal-mart) and that works for me. I used to take Equalactin a long time ago, but just when I felt crummy. For some reason I didn't realize it was soluble fiber!!! Duuuhhhh!

Again, welcome, and don't hesitate to post anything!

Sharon

(I'm one of the Recipe Exchange moderators--we all love to eat and cook!)

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6992 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2747

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review