All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused...ibs'ers claim Atkins diet helps??
      #61393 - 04/15/04 08:55 AM
Shelli

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Glendale, Arizona

I'm so confused! I'm having a hard time with the idea that refined sugar, white pasta and breads are okay. Even people who are not pro-Atkins agree that white bread and pasta is bad stuff. It is basically worthless and raises your blood sugar very quickly.

Yes, I've read what Heather has written about how this diet will not make you fat because although you're eating high refined carbs, you're also eating low fat. That certainly is better than high carb AND high fat, but it doesn't change the fact that potatoes, white breads, etc are not healthy. I'm not concerned about gaining weight; I'm concerned about health. I've heard that our country has an epedemic of Adult Onset Diabetes because of all the sugar that we eat...it messes with your blood sugar level.

My husband is bigtime pro-Atkins and is giving me a hard time about this diet. He told me to do an internet search on Atkins and IBS. I found on several newsgroups people who claim that their IBS has improved dramatically since starting the Atkins diet. I'm not kidding! So how do you explain that....it is totally opposite of this diet. Although the majority of them were IBS-D people not C people like me. A few IBS-C people said it made the C worse.

In the past year I have cut out white breads and pastas and started using splenda rather than regular sugar, thinking that I'm "getting healthy". So I'm having a hard time suddenly using regular sugar.

I am going to continue with the diet; it is worth a try. But help me out here; convince me why all this is okay when everybody (even non-atkins people) say that sugar and white breads/pastas are BAD. Is this in fact true, but for IBS people this is what works for OUR bowels?

Those of you who are big believers in this diet, please don't be offended. I am asking these questions with sincerity and really what to hear your feedback.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused...ibs'ers claim Atkins diet helps?? new
      #61435 - 04/15/04 10:28 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hi Shelli,

There have been a LOT of posts on this. If you do a search you should find the most recent ones. Jen has a post that explains a lot of what you're asking about.

ya know this reminds me of.... new
      #61445 - 04/15/04 10:46 AM
StephS

Reged: 09/11/03

Urban ledgends....someones says this is true and everyone believes it. This is always going to be debated!!!! There will never be an even ground on this!!!

But did you know the founder of the Atkins diet died obiese...and had heart problems!!!! EEEWWW scary!

My husband did Atkins for 5 days and got sooooooo sick. He was a mess!! I think the atkins diet is to extreme!!!!!

I think the best thing for you to do is keep on trying this diet....give it time. Don't worry about what everyone says about sugar and white bread!!!! If you feel better then that's all that matters!!!

I guess you could always try the Atkins and see how you do!!! But I bet you would hate it and feel like crap.

Good luck to you and please do a search. JenX had a great reply to the same type of question!

--------------------

Found Jenx's post.... new
      #61453 - 04/15/04 10:53 AM
StephS

web page scroll down until you get to Jen's post! She has good info here.

--------------------

Re: Found Jenx's post.... new
      #61455 - 04/15/04 10:55 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Thanks Steph... I asked Heather if she would consider making one of these threads a permanent one at the top (along with the FAQ). Seems like we're getting this question EVERY day.

#61478 - 04/15/04 11:48 AM
Shelli

Reged: 04/13/04
Loc: Glendale, Arizona

Thanks so much for the link to that thread. I did do a search for "atkins" but for some reason didn't find that thread. Yep, it would be a good idea to keep that thread as a permanent one for newbies to easily find.

JenX and Heathers comments really helped me feel better. I guess it bothered me looking at the dessert recipes that so many things had karo syrup or table sugar along with white flour. But I can't give up sweets all together so I guess I either use sugar, honey or splenda. I've been using splenda but I've read alot of ya'll think this causes problems for IBS folks. I think I'll try to do like Jenx and not have much sugar or processed foods. Anyway, thanks for your input. Sorry for asking a question that has already been talked about to death!

#61486 - 04/15/04 12:05 PM
StephS

Your welcome! And don't worry about asking questions. Your new! How are you to know it's been talked about!

Don't be afraid to ask questions! Ask away!!!!

--------------------

I'm going to put up a sticky post on this topic... new
      #61491 - 04/15/04 12:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

with links to all of the past posts on this subject. Folks can also search for Atkins, low carb, diabetes, obesity, etc. for past posts as well.

Hang on for a few days till I can gather all the info and links. Then for any new questions that come up on this topic we can just refer folks to the sticky post and keep the diet board itself from getting too repetitive.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 861 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 835

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review