All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather--Low Motility NOT IBS-C??
      #61270 - 04/14/04 06:56 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

I just read your post about low motility possibly not being IBS-C?? I just had my colonoscopy on Monday, and it was inconclusive--no polyps or injuries of any sort. I also was tested for thyroid dysfunction, again I was fine. I also was tested for celiac sprue, and again I am okay. My problems have been all due to a sluggish bowel, almost like it "goes to sleep" and I can't go, or it is VERY incomplete evacuation. I have terrible bloating and gas a lot, and when I have the constipation it is painful and terrible. My bloat and gas is only helped when I go. I feel fat a LOT...and sometimes I can't button my pants because of the bloat. I had the colonoscopy, and although I can poop, I have had bad bloating and some gas ever since then, ESPECIALLY now that I am eating normally and not "fasting", as it were.

Please help me. What if I have the wrong diagnosis and I've been treating myself the wrong way?? I hate my body so much because of this intestinal distress, and I hate the way it looks most of the time, and I especially hate the way I feel all the time.

I am currently on Zelnorm (though I am stopping it because it no longer is effective for me), Miralax, acacia fiber, and Jarro-dophilus probiotic supplement.
Jen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

BUMP for Heather--I don't want this to get lost!-nt- new
      #61299 - 04/14/04 09:07 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

Re: Heather--Low Motility NOT IBS-C?? new
      #61302 - 04/14/04 09:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - there is still so much they really don't know about bowel dysfunction. They're gradually breaking out different disorders from the umbrella "IBS" heading, and slow transit is one of them that is slowly coming into its own diagnosis. Thing is, I'm not sure they have any separate treatments for it. I do know they can do the slow transit diagnostic test, a sitz marker test, that will actually measure your transit time. But if that comes up positive, I honestly don't know what they offer for solutions.

You might check the research library under the general IBS section, and also post on the hypno board to ShawnEric's attention, as I'd bet he has a zillion references for you to research and maybe even treatments about slow transit.

Wish I had more help here.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather--Low Motility NOT IBS-C?? new
      #61326 - 04/15/04 05:54 AM
geminimcm

Reged: 03/12/04

Scully30,
I have the EXACT same symptoms as you! Terrible gas, extreme bloating, and MAJOR constipation!! My bowel is very sluggish, too. It seems as if everything works fine but the very last part of my bowel. It seems as if my colon is missing whatever it is that helps me go. It's like the muscle is weak or doesn't know how to work anymore, you know?

If I don't take any meds, even for ONE day, my bowels completely stop. NO MATTER WHAT! I can try and I can try to go and it just is stopped up. And trust me, I do EVERYTHING possible to "help" the constipation, such as major exercising, drinking TONS of water, eating right. It doesn't seem to matter to my bowels at all.

Trust me, it's SOOOO frustrating! It's like, is this going to be this way the rest of our lives?? That's extremely depressing. I never had constipation problems AT ALL until I turned 19 or 20. How weird is that?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3576 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 581

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review