All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Strugglin'...
      #6109 - 04/15/03 06:59 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I love being optimistic--it's what I'm good at But IBS is really taking its toll on me.......

Passover was always my favorite Jewish Holiday. I actually LOVE Matzah! I used to anxiously await eating Matzah pizza, Matzah with cream cheese and strawberry jam, and especially all the yummy deserts! This year will b different...there's no substitute for Matzah...On Passover we can't eat anything with flour, rice, peas, soybeans, nuts, legumes.....so I'll be eating potatoes and plain chicken for a week. I'm freaking out!

Lately I feel like I'm on a rollercoaster ride and no one will let me get off. I finally get my C under control (tons of water and citrucel seem to be doing the trick there--I took myself off the MiraLax laxative and I'm so glad I did!)....and now I have worse cramps and bloating (gas stayed the same), than before. My doc thinks if I go to the bathroom the other symptoms should go away. Sometimes I feel like he just doesn't know anything about IBS!!!

My energy is sapped these days. I'm always tired! I take my vitamins, I'm doing hypnotherapy (which I'm not expecting to work just yet--it takes a while...), trying to follow the diet, I'm blowing up like a balloon, (I weigh very little for my height--but my clothes barely fit I'm so bloated--and I feel sluggish from the bloating and I feel unattractive). I just feel so unhealthy!

I also find things difficult because I can't tolerate mustard, or anything with vinegar in it, spicy spices, ketchup (vinegar), and I'm not completely sure--but it seems garlic and onions, even processed/finely chopped, are a problem as well. I find this terribly frustrating! And to top it all off, soy doesn't sit too well with me.

I'm SO THANKFUL for this board! I don't know what I'd do or where I'd turn to just let it all out--safely! Thanks to anyone who reads this long one all the way through--and thanks in advance for your support! I don't have anyone in person that I can discuss this with (except my husband--and he tries to understand but he doesn't. He feels so helpless when I have an attack! I had one in the car yesterday while I was driving--HORRIBLE cramps--and as you can imagine, the driving wasn't too smooth. No major mishaps, thank G-d, but a little spat insued because of a silly miscommunication and almost wrong turn...and he had no idea I was in pain...I've been having a lot of out-of-nowhere cramps lately, a new symptom for me, they used to happen before or after a bowel movement). He prays for me everyday that it should get better--and he listens--but he doesn't GET IT! (He's wonderful for trying...and his support means more than I can say...but sometimes we just need someone who understands what we're going through...especially women).

I just want the IBS rollercoaster to stop!!! I'm ready to get off.

If you have advice, suggestions how to get through, or if you've been here...I'd appreciate any thoughts!!!!

Thanks for listening! Hope everyone's feeling good today--happy Tuesday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strugglin'... new
      #6115 - 04/15/03 07:55 AM
txmom

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: North Texas

Hi Ruchie!

I understand what you are feeling completely. I don't think anyone can understand IBS until they have it. I use to wake up each morning and wonder if I would be spending half my day in the bathroom. I also felt a lot of guilt because I knew this was effecting my family. I refused to go out to eat (fear of a flare up) or to travel far away. Needless to say I think I developed anxiety. When I got my diagnosis for IBS the doctor put me on Paxil. That was three weeks ago and I have not had a flare up since. The doctor said it seems to help all her IBS patients. I still get gassy and bloated but not as bad. I am so glad to know this web site exists and there are other people going through the same thing I am. Hang in there!!!

Christina

#6133 - 04/15/03 12:46 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Hey Ruchie,
I'm glad you like being optimistic because in the toughest times it seems to be optimism will help you out!I am completely familiar with the roller coaster ride youve been so anxiously want off (me too) Its hard enough to have ibs, but for me, its so terrible when im constantly being forced to eat triggers. My mom just doesnt get it. Shes constantly telling me that that if i dont THINK i'll get a stomache ache, i wont (ha!) I just think its hilarious when she says take an advil and it'll go away.... :sigh: Oh well, everytime im going through one of those bad episodes i just reassure myself that it will pass and everything will be okay. I know how hard it is to eat everything right and still get a bad episode. Although I am on Levsin which helps with the daily attacks, but not if i eat something thats a no-no.

Please, just keep your chin up and smile smile smile at the unexepected joy tomorrow may bring.

PS> dont ya just wish you could wake up and be ibs free?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#6134 - 04/15/03 12:49 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Sorry to hear all this Ruchie (and oops on the wishing you a blessed Easter on the HT board - blessed Passover instead!!). I found that once I stopped drinking ANY caffeine and eating any high fat foods or soy, I could control the cramping - but it is/was miserable when it happened. I can't remember if you were in the heating pad thread but I find them VERY helpful, along with 3-4 ultra strength Phazymes and hot tea. Do you take as anti-spasmotic? That may help. I also find that getting is a 'cat' position or hanging over a counter helps relieve the gassy cramping and sometimes allows gas to pass, which is a relief. Have you ever tried that? Let's keep thinking positively about the HT - make sure CRAMPING is on one of those packages that you throw in the well! Gas is definitely on one of mine. Hang in there - it IS going to get better!
Andie

#6135 - 04/15/03 12:54 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

Yes to your 'p.s'!! Have you ever showed your parents articles on IBS and told them THIS is what its like for me? I think parents are often inclined to see things presented by their teenagers as issues as just that 'teenage issues' - and dismiss them. If they could learn more about it and which aspects of the descriptors in the article(s) you relate to, maybe that would help??? Good luck with this - if only IBS were just in our heads!
Andie

#6139 - 04/15/03 01:07 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Hi Angel, I found this link that I thought might be helpful for you to show your parents. I hope that they understand that you are not making it up and can't control the symptoms. I don't know your situation, but have you thought about buying your own groceries, at least a few things so you don't have to eat trigger foods all the time? Maybe it would help? I don't know; but at least take a look at this site
www.ibsgroup.org/main/brochure.html

Good luck!
-Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6149 - 04/15/03 02:35 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Ruchie,

I'm so sorry you're feeling so poorly at the moment. I think we all have those moments where we feel completely fed up with it all and you're right - having this board to air our feelings can really help.

I completely know how you feel with the bloating, I am the same and yes it makes you feel very unattractive. I'm glad we're coming up to winrer here because I don't fancy seeing myself in a swimming costume!

I wish there was something I could do/say to make you feel better.

All I can say is that these things were meant to test us and just by being on this board it shows that you must have a strong sense of character because you have sought help and understanding instead of giving up. I think we all feel like giving up sometimes but just have to dust ourselves off and keep going as best we can. It's easy to become depressed over IBS -it's a debilitating condition. I try to think of all the people who are worse off than me when I'm really down - the list is long!

Anyway, thinking of you and hoping you feel better soon.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: Strugglin'...You poor baby... new
      #6159 - 04/15/03 04:29 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Ruchie - I had no idea you were still feeling so bad. I've been also having bloating which never has happened to me before and so I started drinking fennel tea. I went thru one of those little bottles in less than a week so needless to say I went to the health food store today and they were out of bulk fennel. Boy, was I pissed. A little jar of it costs almost $5 at the grocery store, but today it was on sale for 50% off so I bought 2. I'm going on the internet and buy some bulk there.

Anyway, have you tried fennel tea when you;re bloated? It sure helps me feel better and gets rid of most of the bloating.

Also, why don't you try switching to Fibercon like Heather suggested (or Wal-mart generic which I use and are cheaper) instead of the orange stuff you use. That could be giving you the gas and cramps. The Benefiber I used was terrible for me. I farted all day and night and my poor husband...oy vey!

What does vinegar, mustard, etc. do to you when you eat it? And, are you sure they're the culprit?

I'm just trying to be a Private Eye with you...it seems to be one of my better points. I love to find the answers to questions...guess that's why I like puzzles.

Take it easy for Passover. It'll be over in a week and you'll be able to eat "normal" again. Just enjoy all those lovely potatoes and chicken...just don't come on the board and "cluck" your posts!!!!

If you can't eat Matzah on Passover, ,why do they have it out with all the other Passover stuff in the grocery store?

Hugs to you, Ruchila!

Shandela

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#6161 - 04/15/03 04:45 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

One thought - have you been tested for celiac? It is often overlooked and people are diagnosed with IBS instead. A simple blood test will do the initial screening. Some of the foods (vinegar, mustards) can have gluten in them, and that can trigger problems.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#6193 - 04/16/03 05:20 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Heather,

Thank you SO MUCH for responding!!! It's been a rough time for me lately...I really appreciate it!

Before my colonoscopy my doc wanted to rule out celiac, so he did the blood test...and it came back negative for celiac. Could the test have been wrong? Do I just need to eat plain foods from now on to stay IBS safe?

Heather, thank you for making this board...I don't know what I'd do without it!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3672 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4422

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review