All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics
      #6104 - 04/15/03 06:03 AM
Judith

Reged: 02/18/03

Hello everyone - I was just wondering whether anyone had had any success in reducing gas and cramps through probiotics such as Multibionta. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks - Judith.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotics new
      #6106 - 04/15/03 06:36 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I take probiotics everyday, plus eat yogurt! I know that they are helpful in digesting your food and protecting you from infections. I have not had a major attack in awhile, but I have also been following Heather's diet and increasing my fiber intake, so it is hard to say whether or not the probiotics are the total cause of my lack of IBS flare-ups, but I will keep taking them because they can't hurt!

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#6108 - 04/15/03 06:44 AM
Lorna

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I'm confused. I thought probiotics was supposed to increase gas??? My doctor recommended that I start probiotics and I'm on a brand called Genestra. When he upped my dosage to a really strong dose for about a week, I thought he said it may give me more gas initially. Is this just for the short term and then it's supposed to decrease as your body gets used to the probiotics? Does anyone know?

Thanks!

Lorna

--------------------
Lorna

#6137 - 04/15/03 12:58 PM
Andie

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Western NY

I am pretty much with tnchawk - I take acidophilus and digestive enzymes but can't say I notice a big difference. I just figure they can't hurt (except for the expense!)- but having said that, as I am running out, I am not going to buy more and just do a trial without anything. I am doing HT and hoping that the tools learned in Mike's tapes plus being careful about what I eat will suffice.

#6143 - 04/15/03 01:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - There are some clinical studies that show probiotics are effective for bloating and gas. At the worst, they certainly shouldn't do any harm and might well help. The problem is that it can be hard to know if the brand of supplement you're getting actually has live cultures in it. They've done some random spot checks on these supplements and found that a lot of brands do not actually contain what they claim on the label. I don't know of a specific brand that has been proven more effective than another.

You could also eat soy yogurt with live cultures (like Silk or White Wave).

Check the hypno board for an article link Shawneric posted about probiotics and bloating. Also, use the search buttons for all the forums and see what pops up - there have been a lot of previous posts on this topic.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5438 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 660

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review