All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber supplement or banana???
      #6050 - 04/14/03 10:46 AM
tara_e

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: PA, USA

I just emailed the Citrucel people to find out exactly how much fiber is in two capsules. They told me only 1 gram of fiber for two capsules. I take 5 capsules a day, so that means I'm only getting 2.5 grams of fiber.

Wouldn't it be better to just eat a banana twice a day? One medium banana has 2.8 grams of fiber per serving. Even one banana is more fiber than taking 5 capsules. HOw is the Citrucel helping my IBS-D?

Thoughts?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber supplement or banana??? new
      #6055 - 04/14/03 01:08 PM
NaturalBody4You

Reged: 01/30/03

Fiber is used to absorb extra fluid in the intestines therefore helping with D...about bananas...I think if it helps your tummy to eat 2 a day go for it. I know if I start my day with a banana I usually have a good day. Plus I am taking a probiotic called Florastor that I read about in a nutrition newsletter about IBS.

Bonnie

Re: Fiber supplement or banana??? new
      #6075 - 04/14/03 05:27 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can always substitute soluble fiber foods for supplements (or vice versa). They'll both work. Taking the supplement is just a nice, fast, easy and convenient way to make sure you're keeping soluble fiber in your gut all day long. And it's a great shortcut to take instead of having to eat something, when you may not be hungry.

Try to work up to 2 pills taken 4 times daily, so 8 pills total. This way you'll have the soluble fiber from the pills in addition to the soluble fiber from your foods - and in general the more the better.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 783 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review