All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Meds for IBS-C new
      #59572 - 04/09/04 10:24 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Oh and I should say I take 2 Magnesium pills and 2 Colace all together, and that works "ok". The only problem is that it tends to work good at first, but then it wears off and I have to keep going off it and going back on.

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#59760 - 04/09/04 03:52 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I thought Bentyl was only for those with D. I have a friend that has taken it for years---for D. It works for C too?

There's info on a bunch of meds in the IBS Glossary... new
      #59774 - 04/09/04 04:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

check this page Meds for IBS

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: GeminiMCM new
      #59780 - 04/09/04 04:36 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I took Bentyl years ago and didn't care for it but can't remember exactly why. I've tried Bentyl and Donnatal but years ago when I tried them I took them on a daily basis and just felt drowsy and depressed. My question is can bentyl be taken just when needed rather than every day. I have become C again whereas I previously was D and years before that was C I don't want to take any antispasmodics on a daily basis. The pain is what gets me the most down.

Re: GeminiMCM new
      #59820 - 04/09/04 07:53 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I haven't found any meds that really help with my IBS-C. I took Bentyl when I was A and it helped then, but it actually seemed to constipate me once I became C again so now I only use it during attacks. For me diet, soluble fiber, hypnosis, and yoga have been the most helpful things, although I'm still working on it. I wish I could have better news! Some people have great luck with drugs, though, so they're worth a try!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#59861 - 04/10/04 05:58 AM
Shirl

Reged: 02/19/04
Loc: North Carolina

ask your doctor about Zelnorm it is for IBS and for women. NOT for D---- though

--------------------
if God brought you to it. He will bring you through it.

Re: Question for Michele new
      #60312 - 04/12/04 10:09 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hi! Sorry it took so long for me to get back to you, off the boards over the weekend! Actually Bentyl and Miralax are very different drugs. Bentyl is an antispasm drug, its supposed to help your colon stay "relaxed" and not spasm. It doesn't work for me but sounds like it is helping you. Miralax is a laxative. It works by pulling water into your colon. The miralax is safe to take while pregnant, it doesn't cross the placenta. I do not know about the Bentyl.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

RE: Beaglelover new
      #60315 - 04/12/04 10:11 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, Bentyl works for C people too! Although it didn't work for me. It helps to keep the colon from havimg spasms, the spasms can produce C or D. Levsin is the same kinda thing also.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#60324 - 04/12/04 10:15 AM
Lyndeigh

Reged: 02/07/04

hi! Im IBS-A, and i used to take bentyl and Levsin, both did absolutely NOTHING for me! Now, I take Miralax....but only half the dose thats usually prescribed. If i take a full cap full of muralax, at regular prescription, I get D..however, if I take half a cap full, I get normal bms..however, i only take miralax when Im really really constipated..right now, the IBS diet seems to be normalizing my bms..:)

#60384 - 04/12/04 11:23 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Everyone,
I have IBS-C, and I take bentyl too. I find it works great on the spasms that cause bloating, and intestingal g. It's not perfect, but it does help. I can handle trigger foods pretty well with it. I'm on a low does.
How many IBS-C'ers find bentyl helpful besides me?

Cloudygirl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1230 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6546

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review