All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
CORN??
      #58895 - 04/07/04 02:21 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

I noticed that everyone was saying that corn is very hard to digest and that a lot of you have problems with it - I was wondering if its the same for things like cornmeal, corn flour, cornstarch and anything else like that....are these safe?? I bought a cereal the other day that only has cornmeal and evaporated cane juice...was wondering if its ok? What is evap. cane juice anyways?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CORN?? new
      #58897 - 04/07/04 02:27 PM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

i'm not sure about the answer to that, but i'm curious. i'm wondering as well if baked corn chips are ok to eat? and if so are they ok to eat on an empty stomach? what about baked potato chips, like baked lays?

Re: CORN?? new
      #58907 - 04/07/04 02:59 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Most corn products are fine, it's just the KERNELS that cause problems for IBSers. But cornmeal and other things made from ground or creamed corn are fine!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Yes - the baked chips are all just fine. new
      #58911 - 04/07/04 03:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The insoluble fiber is very finely ground to make corn meal, corn chips, etc. This makes them very tolerable. Same thing for corn cereals and polenta.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you! new
      #58919 - 04/07/04 03:45 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thank you so much for your answers! I have been just letting that stuff sit in my pantry but now I can get em' out and start eating them! Is evaporated cane juice ok? I was also wondering if honey fructose is bad?

Re: Thank you! new
      #58977 - 04/07/04 08:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The cane juice is fine - most sugars are. Fructose is an exception - it can cause gas, diarrhea, and cramps. There's a small amount of fructose in honey, but a lot more in fruit and especially fruit juices. You'll probably be okay with a bit of honey, but see how you do as some people are quite fructose intolerant (and this can actually be misdiagnosed as IBS). Be very careful with high fructose corn syrup (usually found in bottled drinks).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thanks Heather new
      #59063 - 04/08/04 07:33 AM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8026 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 910

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review