All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Yes, wheat tends to be the trickiest of all whole grains... new
      #57655 - 04/03/04 10:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Dalia has a really great tolerance for whole wheat. I do too, actually - even bran flakes cereal is just fine for me. But we're kind of the exceptions here - whole wheat is probably the single most difficult whole grain for most IBS folks. Brown rice, oatmeal, barley, quinoa, and polenta are usually much more tolerable...though still not for everyone.

Most IBS folks can always add in some type of whole grains, in some type of quantity, if they have a good soluble fiber basis. But I've learned from the boards that there are exceptions even here...some people just cannot take any whole grains, no matter how carefully they eat them, because they trigger Gi spasms and cause either diarrhea or constipation for them.

Everyone has to find their own balance here. And I suspect that the more you are able to carefully, slowly incorporate whole grains, the greater your tolerance will become. It's also always easier to try to increase whole grains in your diet when you're rock solid stable, not under stress, not dealing with any other triggers, etc.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

You two should post your pics... new
      #57657 - 04/03/04 10:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

so we can see if you look like twins too!

Email to me at heather@helpforibs.com and I'll post them. I've been really behind on posting people's pics lately, but I'm determined to catch up this weekend!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'm new and a little overwhelmed... new
      #57726 - 04/04/04 10:52 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Patricia, sure enough here's one of your posts! I remember reading it because my dad had a hiatal hernia too. I haven't been feeling too well so i guess i just forgot to answer you.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Thank you! -nt- new
      #57738 - 04/04/04 11:13 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Re: Yes, wheat tends to be the trickiest of all whole grains... new
      #57740 - 04/04/04 11:16 AM
Ana Maria

Reged: 03/24/04

Thank you for this clarification Heather. I guess for someone who is ibs-c (or i might be ibs-a; i have c for up to 6 days then usually have d when something i eat triggers an attack. maybe that's a - not sure!) being stable would mean having regular movements daily rather than the violent spasms every few days (or more) with no movement in between!

Yes - this is exactly it! -nt- new
      #57741 - 04/04/04 11:19 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: Whole Grains? new
      #57762 - 04/04/04 12:26 PM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

Balance is indeed the key. and playing aruond, which can involve both nasty and nice surprises about things you 'thought' you could tolerate and vice versa.

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

To Dalia - re: same person!!! new
      #77978 - 06/10/04 02:19 PM
jjr

Reged: 04/01/04
Loc: Roanoke, TX

Oh my gosh...I haven't been on this site in a while, but i've recently been having dry mouth so i did a search on it and came across the thread of posts that i started back in april. anyway, i came across the one that you, Dalia, wrote and felt so bad for not responding. i just never read it for some reason. i guess you wrote it after i read the ones that were posted right away. anyway, it's probably not a big deal to you but i wanted to apologize.

and i have to say...i was doing really good on my "diet" but lately i've been slacking and to be honest, i feel like crap!! it's just proof to me that it really works. i need to get back on track!! feeling good is worth it, i'm just being a slacker.
anyway, that's all i had to say. hope everyone's having a good day.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1773 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12668

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review