All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Kosher certification of Acacia - who emailed me?
      #56661 - 03/31/04 07:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - someone emailed to ask if Acacia was certified kosher for Passover, and I wrote to tell her I'd find out and get back to her. But I've lost her email, and can't reply. I'm hoping she's on the boards and will see this. The Acacia is certified kosher, but I don't have all the precise details about this, so I'm getting them. As soon as I know all the info here, I'll post it or get back if the mystery person emails me again.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kosher certification of Acacia - who emailed me? new
      #56662 - 03/31/04 07:59 PM
pearlmaj

Reged: 03/31/04

I'm sensing the opportunity for confusion so I want to jump in to point out that there is a huge difference between "kosher" and "kosher for passover" -- sorry if you already know this...

On a similar note, is matzoh soluble or insoluble fiber? or given that I am only on week 2 of the IBS diet, should I just skip keeping kosher for passover this year? (I am Ashkenazic, so I would have to give up rice in addition to bread.)

Thank you! new
      #56664 - 03/31/04 08:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

This was the crux of her question, I'm sure. The Acacia is certified kosher, but whether it's certified kosher for Passover is what I'm finding out for her - right now I haven't a clue.

Matzoh is made with white flour, right? As long as it's not whole wheat it should be safe, and a good soluble fiber basis. Just saw a good mushroom matzoh kugel recipe, actually....

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thank you! new
      #56667 - 03/31/04 08:09 PM
pearlmaj

I *think* it is white flour -- but it has no leavening agent, so it tends to be very dense. I am thinking it is probably safe for me as I suffer from D, but for those that suffer from C, it might not be a good idea.

Another related question! All the people I know personally with IBS or ulcerative colitis are Ashkenazic Jewish women like me -- granted, I am talking about only a few people, but is that coincidence or have people seen that to be frequent?

#56684 - 03/31/04 10:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - the lack of leavening won't matter. White flour is just soluble fiber - helpful for both d and c. Biggest difference here is that folks with c usually need more insoluble fiber - but they still have to eat it carefully. The only foods that will actively constipate someone are animal proteins that have a low water content and zero fiber.

There is definitely a link between Jewish heritage and inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's and colitis - can't remember the stats but they have a higher percentage of the population with these disorders than the general non-Jewish population. But I've never seen this regarding IBS, so I don't know about that.

- H

--------------------

I'm Ashkenaz too! new
      #56692 - 04/01/04 04:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

It's soluble fiber!!! Pesach is tough! I say eat LOTS of Tam Tams and applesauce and potatoes. Also, I steam LOTS of veggies before Yuntiv so I can eat without worry! Baked apples are also good. I don't know what your situation is...if you can cook for yourself (do you live at home w/ parents, that sorta thing?)...but if you can, that's great! E-mail me if you like and I'll try to come up with stuff for ya!

Chag Kasher V'Sameach!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Thanks Heather...another tip... new
      #56693 - 04/01/04 04:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Stay away from egg Matzah unless you find egg white only! Eggs are a trigger for IBS! This can also make Pesach tricky...try cooking with egg whites if you're in a position to cook for yourself! (I wish I'd known you sooner so I could have given you these tips BEFORE we came down to the wire for Pesach....)

HTH...and good luck!

-<3-
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: I'm Ashkenaz too! new
      #56710 - 04/01/04 06:29 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Me too! Admittedly, though, the IBS thing comes from my mom's side, and she's a convert - so I'm not evidence that IBS is an Ashkenaz thing. My dad has an iron stomach!

Matzoh is about the most binding dang thing there is, I think because it is so dry and dense. You gotta get lots of water in your system, and get as many fruits and veggies in as possible. There are more kosher for Pesach prepared foods now than there were in my youth (wilds of Iowa, 1970s), so perhaps you can rely on those.

#56713 - 04/01/04 06:46 AM
Dalia

Reged: 03/14/04
Loc: London / Tel Aviv / New York

hey everyone!
My family are ashkenazi (and religious) but a few years ago I decided I was converting to sephardi, so I can have rice, tofy, chickpeas etc for pesach. my daddy is a sweetie and said that because of my ibs I must eat those things and also bans me from fasting yom kippur because it makes me soooo ill!
chag kasher ve sameah!

--------------------
Feel the fear, and do it anyway

Re: "Conversion" to Sephardim new
      #56760 - 04/01/04 09:38 AM
pearlmaj

Dalia, I think I am with you this year -- I am so early in the IBS diet that I really don't know my triggers yet, so I don't want to switch to a full on Ashkenazic Passover diet at this point... so rice stays in the diet for me this year. I have my grandmother coming in on Sunday to stay with me and as the semi-rebellious daughter of a rabbi, she does NOT keep kosher for pesach, so hopefully this will simplify things.

Ruchie, maybe next year I can get more info from you before Pesach -- re my cooking/living situation, I'm 29, so no, I don't live with my parents or anything like that, but I never cook and I always do the seder at the home of close family friends. I think I will be okay with the food at the seder if I just skip the brisket (I love brisket). Any other typical seder foods you'd recommend I skip? I've never liked kugel or gefilte fish, so I'll be skipping those anyway, not that that is relevant to IBS.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2162

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review