All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Went to GI doctor the other day, had a Fructose test done///need help???
      #56083 - 03/30/04 11:01 AM
tanyak

Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Knoxville, TN

Hi everyone. WOW! The doctor started me on Librax. Two a day. Creon for an enzyme. ANd..today I did the fructose breath test. You are there 3 hours and you drink pure sugar water. Within 45 minutes I was"blowing it OUT" in the bathroom! ugggg............they say ABSOLUTELY no fruits..??????Heather help?? No, sweet potatoes, or new potatoes, carrots, etc. No sugar at all, honey, etc, etc!!!!! So sad, so sad, so sad. What do you all think>>>what about what we have learned. Uggg.......and Thursday I go in for the Lactose test! I have a great GI doctor now. Tim calls on him. He's really neat. The nurse is the one who gave me the sheet. And, no prepackaged meats, only deli sliced (which I get anyway), no stuff we already know about like ham, bacon etc.

--------------------
TANYA

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Went to GI doctor the other day, had a Fructose test done///need help??? new
      #56100 - 03/30/04 11:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Oh dear! Well, the good news is, you may actually have fructose intolerance and not IBS at all, so if you eliminate fructose from your diet that might take care of all symptoms. The bad news of course is that is really tough to do.

I don't know too much about fructose free diets - can your doc give you a referral to a dietician who would know all the details here? Do you have to totally avoid all fructose completely? How are you supposed to avoid all fruits and still eat healthy? They should help you out here - for foods you have to avoid they should have suggested replacements.

I'd see if you can find some reputable books on fructose intolerance and how to fit your diet around this, or even some good websites about it. And hopefully someone else on the board has better info here than I do.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Went to GI doctor the other day, had a Fructose test done///need help??? new
      #56162 - 03/30/04 01:11 PM
tanyak

Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Knoxville, TN

Thanks Heather for replying. (and anyone else!) The nurse did say you may not have IBS at all. I AM SO CONFUSED NOW! I have to go back Thursday to see if I am Lactose intolerant now. Can you think of any other test I should have them run. She did give me a sheet of foods to avoid. All deserts containg sugar! UGGGGGGG......so I am off to the health food store for the ONLY one I can use safely which is seemingly Stevia. Do you or anyone else like it?

--------------------
TANYA

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 979

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review