All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about Caffeine, getting desperate
      #56059 - 03/30/04 10:37 AM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Ok, here's the thing. I'm a little puzzled because I know we're supposed to stay away from caffeine but before finding this diet I would always have at least 1 can of regular Coke a day (flattened to avoid carbonation) and if anything I used to find that it helped me, not hurt me. Still, trying to be good and stick to the diet I have been avoiding caffeine.
HOwever, I've been having a bit of trouble as of late as I haven't hardly slept in 3 days! I think something I'm taking may be causing insomnia, because my body just wont turn off! Anyways, I''m about to head off to work, and I really don't know how to get through it without some caffeine. I'm in total fog. Any suggestions? I wouldn't have coffee because I know what that does to me, but would oen flattened can of coke be that bad?
Thanks!
Kelly

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Caffeine, getting desperate new
      #56070 - 03/30/04 10:44 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Some people have used green tea to wean themselves off of caffeine. Maybe that could work for you?

Good luck!

Kelly... new
      #56075 - 03/30/04 10:47 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

it's a GI trigger, but if you feel like trying it, do so! we're all going to tolerate things differently, as you know.

i go out for sushi once (sometimes twice!) a weekend, and always have one or two Cokes when I do. it's my treat to myself. i never have trouble. now whether that's 'cause of the rice in the sushi acting as buffer or what, i don't know, though that's what i think it is. maybe if you're going to try it make sure you eat some bread or whatever with it??

i was drinking Coke for a while into the diet and did ok, but it was making me crave sugar, so i had to quit it.

do what works for you!

let me know how you feel.

--------------------

I'd be more worried about the other things in Coke... new
      #56081 - 03/30/04 10:59 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

caffeine is a GI stimulant, and that's why it can cause IBS problems. But Coke has either high fructose corn syrup or artificial sweeteners in it, both of which are problematic. If you're lucky you can find Coke sweetened with regular sugar, but in the US that's really tough. The carbonation is also a problem, though you're letting the drink go flat so that helps. You may be okay with the occasional can, especially if you eat soluble fiber with it. Just realize that it is a potential trigger, so if you start having problems keep it in mind. That's what really matters here - knowing what your triggers are is half the battle, otherwise you can't avoid them.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Caffeine . . . ? new
      #56138 - 03/30/04 12:14 PM
MKE32

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: Alberta, Canada

I think it's pretty obvious that my morning habit is going to be a no-no in your books, Heather, but I'm IBS-C, and I have been "using" caffeine for years to get my bowels going in the a.m. I have a strong cup of black tea first thing on an empty stomach, and although this sometimes makes me feel a bit nauseaus, it DOES move things along fairly predictably. Am I setting myself up for some problems in the future, or is it ok if it seems to be working for me?

Thx!!

--------------------
Every cloud has a silver lining!

Re: I'd be more worried about the other things in Coke... new
      #56190 - 03/30/04 02:44 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Not that I'm encouraging anyone to drink soft drinks, but there are a few specialty brands now that do NOT use HFCS, they use good old fashioned cane sugar.

I had a Boylan's Cane Cola yesterday and it was so good. It tasted so much like Coke in the green glass bottles used to when we were kids!

Having said that, carbonation is bad and sugary sodas are empty calories with no nutritional value. But just wanted to let you all know they exist.

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

I was a diet pepsi junkie. new
      #56272 - 03/30/04 07:59 PM
crampgirl

Reged: 02/23/04

I couldn't drink regular sodas as the sugar got me but didn't think diet was too bad. I was IBS-D at the time but didn't have too many flare ups (as I practically ate no fiber) The caffeine helped with my headaches and if I tried to stop headaches got worse. Then I hear all the stuff about how bad aspertame is caffeine for IBS so I decide to quit a few weeks ago. Per Heather's suggestion instead of cutting cold turkey, I switched to green tea for a week then stopped altogether and had no withdrawal symptoms and no headaches. Also lost the frequent heart palpatations I'd been having for quite some time being off the aspertame but still on the caffeine in the tea. So after adjusting to the no caffeine I become IBS-C!! So now increasing my citrucil this week which seems to help.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1920 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1212

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review