All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber for D - look at this!
      #53927 - 03/24/04 02:44 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I found this in a site I was looking at for IBS. What do we think of this!?

"In many cases, dietary fiber may lessen IBS symptoms, particularly constipation. However, it may not help pain or diarrhea. Whole grain breads and cereals, fruits, and vegetables are good sources of fiber. High-fiber diets keep the colon mildly distended, which may help prevent spasms. Some forms of fiber also keep water in the stool, thereby preventing hard stools that are difficult to pass. Doctors usually recommend a diet with enough fiber to produce soft, painless bowel movements."

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber for D - look at this! new
      #53938 - 03/24/04 03:30 PM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

That's interesting. But I wonder... it doesn't seem to me to explain whether they tested soluble fiber as well... Heather has said, and I have noticed the truth in it, that many docs and studies don't differentiate between soluble and insoluble.

I know I was sick as a dog on a regular old "diet-diet." That was lots of whole wheat fibers and veggies. When I switched to Heather's plan, loaded with soluble fibers... THAT'S when the D went away. And hasn't really come back! (*knock on wood!*)

--------------------

Re: Fiber for D - look at this! new
      #54004 - 03/24/04 08:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well, I don't think they quite know what they're talking about. Check the research library, diet section, for the studies on soluble vs. insoluble fiber for IBS. The clinical studies on this are really clear - soluble fiber helps both diarrhea and constipation, insoluble fiber can exacerbate both IBS c and d. Why so many IBS books, site, docs, etc. still just recommend "fiber" for IBS is a mystery to me. It makes me wonder if they ever bother even asking IBS patients how they actually do with soluble vs. insoluble fiber.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

British Dietetics Association on IBS! new
      #54015 - 03/25/04 01:45 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I was looking up some info on Dietetics and IBS, as my GP is referring me to a state-registered dietician (my appointment is not until June). They don't produce much info on the web as you're supposed to see a dietician in person, but I did come across a press release dated 11 April 2000. It warns against taking advice from so-called nutritional therapists with very little training who were found to give bizarre and contradictory dietary advice. State Registered Dieticians have 5 years training including hospital experience.

It also says: after correct diagnosis of IBS, dietary intervention would consider the following:

1) Healthy eating: AIMING TO INCREASE STARCHY FOODS and fruit and vegetables.
2) REGULAR and frequent food intake throughout the day.
3) Adequate fluid intake.
4) REDUCTION/ELIMINATION of caffeine.
5) AVOIDANCE OF very hot, very cold and very spicy foods.
6) PROBIOTIC supplementation.
7) INCREASED INTAKE OF SOLUBLE FIBRE - OATS - PORRIDGE - SOME FRUITS AND SOME VEG AND SOME FUNCTIONAL FOODS WITH PROVEN EFFECTIVENESS IN IMPROVING BOWEL HEALTH.
It is more important to include the above in your diet than to remove whole food groups.

Just thought this may be of interest to those of you still concerned about high starch/carb diets or fibre intake.

Shells

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1693 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review