All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
bloating - confused
      #53802 - 03/24/04 10:07 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

ok, I have been following the diet pretty well the past few weeks (I have cheated a little, candy just gets me!) but overall am doing well. But for some reason I CAN NOT seem to get rid of this bloating!!! ugh.

I don't have any pain, just BLOATING! I usually go to the bathroom once every morning. My BM's are soft but not watery.. I know.. not the greatest topic, but we're all open here right! I have started on the Benefiber, only 2 teaspoons, if that, a day. But even before that I seemed to be constantly bloated.

Any ideas?! I have felt pretty good and am glad I do not get the cramps anymore - but what could be causing all the bloating. I use to have a few good days, but lately it's just constant bloat.

I do work at a job where I am sitting pretty much all day. Something that is hard for me to do, I like to be on the go. I try to get a work out in, in the evenings when I have time, which I know helps. But anyone else notice that sitting this much could cause bloating. My job before I was constantly on my feet, and I think I felt better then.

Any advice would be wonderful! Thanks!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: bloating - confused new
      #53806 - 03/24/04 10:10 AM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hey there...

if you're not drinking enough water then that can cause bloating....especially when you're taking a fibre supplement.

I have to drink lots and lots of water when I'm taking a fibre supplement otherwise I look like a balloon!!

Good luck!!

#53817 - 03/24/04 10:28 AM
Debby

Reged: 11/05/03
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

I seem to get bloated right after I take my Acacia Fiber. It's not painful like gas pains/bloating but my tummy just gets a bit bigger for a while. I have upped my water intake and wow that has made such a difference in how I feel. I just need to make sure I stay close to the bathroom with all that water going thru me but if it's helping my tummy I can complain.

The only other thing I can think of is trying some yoga posed daily and trying to get up from your desk and walk around for a while especially if you are feeling pressure or pain from any of the bloating. I've also opted for comfortable clothes most of the time and my fashion sense has gone out the window

Fiber and water new
      #53850 - 03/24/04 11:39 AM
Bethany

Ladies - thanks for the responses! I love to get on the boards and see you have a reply - fun fun.

Anyways, I drink plenty of water. I keep a large water bottle with me all day and drink it. And boy does it make me have to "pee" a lot. I feel like it just goes right through me!

And I don't know if the fiber affects it, I am bloated even before taking it. It is a constant thing. I appreciate the help - just wish I could pin point what it is!!

Is 2 teaspoons too much fiber? Some days I'm not sure if I even get that much.

I did bring shorts and went walking on my lunch break. It is beautiful out!! Spring is on it's way!!

--------------------

Re: Fiber and water new
      #53857 - 03/24/04 11:51 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Nope, thats not too much fiber. bloating seems to be one of the hardest things for alot of IBSers to get under control!! Are you gassey or do you feel bubbles in your tummy?? Sometimes gas bubbles get trapped and make you blow up. Exercise is the best thing I have found for that.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#53888 - 03/24/04 12:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - try drinking fennel tea throughout the day - that's one of the very best things for helping bloating. There's info here Fennel Tea And there are some poses in the yoga section of the site as well (link is on the left side of your page).

Also, Benefiber is guar gum, which does cause gas and bloating for some folks. Give yourself a week or so at your current dose (2 t is not much) and if you don't notice a decrease, try another brand of supplement. There's just a lot of individual variation in what fiber works best for which people. Some trial and error is usually necessary. Check here all about soluble fiber supplements for details.

Do try the fennel - it works wonders!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks responsee's! new
      #53897 - 03/24/04 01:09 PM
Bethany

I have tried the fennel teas and they do seem help a little bit. Would getting the actual fennel seed or capsules be more beneficial?

Also, I wasn't aware that the guar gum can cause bloating...hmm..I'll give it another week or so, then I might have to try some of the Highly raved about Acacia!!

--------------------

Re: Thanks responsee's! new
      #53903 - 03/24/04 01:15 PM
Kimm

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I've heard nothing but great things about acacia!!

I ordered some myself and after just one dose I got rid of my C and I'm feeling really great...

with my luck I'll end up sick the rest of the week now that I said that!! haha...

but really...you should try it...it's worth it!!

#53944 - 03/24/04 03:47 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

First of all...GREAT PIC!! I just got married, too, in November. What a beautiful bride you are!

Secondly, are you IBS-D or IBS-C?? Let me know, as that will impact my advice for ya....I'm C.

Jen
(like my icon?? I think it's the best, it makes me crack up!)

#53956 - 03/24/04 04:18 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I find sitting in the office all day makes me more bloated and C. Try walking round the office as much as pos - even just standing up and doing some stretches helps.

#53971 - 03/24/04 05:05 PM
Bethany

Love the icon!! Tee hee! And you are a very beautiful bride yourself. I got married last August. Yea, fellow newlyweds!!

I am more IBS-D. It is not severe, usually once in the mornings and it is more mushy then anything. You know, that does bring up a question. Is that concidered D? I usually only go to the bathroom once a day and it is more soft then watery. But I might not go one day but then the next morning, the same thing.

Ok, ready for my advice!!!

--------------------

Edited by Bethany (03/24/04 05:18 PM)

YOGA, YOGA, YOGA! new
      #54343 - 03/25/04 05:16 PM
Scully30

Reged: 02/01/04
Loc: Overland Park, KS

That has helped my bloating and gas more than anything else so far. Gas-X and Beano are a JOKE, as far as what my gut thinks of them. Fennel tea (brewed super-strong) helps as well, but nothing has helped twist that gas out more than my yoga practice. I practice about 4 times a week for 60-90 minutes, and by the time I am done, my belly has gone down in size! No kidding, and I feel a ton better, no cramps or anything. Just light a candle (you'll need it! HA HA) and go for it.

Jen

YOGA - Jen! new
      #54445 - 03/26/04 06:18 AM
Bethany

Jen - did you buy your own yoga tape or do you attend a class? What tape should I get if I wanted to do it own my own. I use to run every day in college, and since I graduated last May, have not kept up on it very well. I think that definitely helped as well. I think I just need to really put my mind to it and stick to a good routine.

Thanks for the advice! I don't get much of the crampy pains anymore from trapped gas, it's just bloating like I'm pregnant.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2195

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review