All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Triggers in medicines!
      #5086 - 04/04/03 03:50 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

Been doing a little research on myself and found some things interesting. I've been self-treating this gastritis in my stomach while waiting for my follow up appt with the GI Monday afternoon, where he'll let me know the biopsy results and what's caused and and how to treat it, antibiotic or what. Anyhow I've been taking Pepcid Complete and Maalox Max, both pretty much constantly which has stopped the tummy pain for the most part and allowed me to eat better. BUT I'm terribly bloated and (as always) constipated. Did some nosing on the medicine labels - I think the Pepcid constipates me worse, it's got a lot of calcium carbonate or some form, forget exactly, which I've heard some of you here say is good for D. And the Maalox, the inactive ingredients has 3 different forms of methylcellulose - well that's what was in the metamucil that bloated me up so bad and made me gassy! So in treating the top problems I'm screwing up the bottom of the tract. I'm not taking anything, I'm thinking more and more that there is no medicine that is going to work well on any of this (except antibiotic if this is indeed bacterial infection in tummy). But as far as treating symptoms of the tummy and the colon and the C and all of that - I'm just relying on diet and exercise, it works well enough and sure doesn't have all the side effects that I get from ANY medicine I try! Frustrating but at least now I know.

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Triggers in medicines! new
      #5090 - 04/04/03 04:56 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

Hi!!
Glad to hear your gastritis is getting better!
But I thought it was the Psyllium in the Metamucil that was blowing everybody up? Methylcellulose is the soluble fibre that is being recommended by people (including Heather) to avoid the bloating. But maybe it gives bloating to some people, don't know.
Good luck with your doctor's appointment!
Susaloh

#5092 - 04/04/03 05:38 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Michelle,

I know what you mean! I took the MiraLax and am not impressed! I don't care what my doc says I'm getting off this stuff in 2 weeks (he said if it helps I should stay on it permanently) and going back to citrucel. I finally had a BM after 3 doses of the laxative.

Insofar as calcium...I take calcium citrate WITH magnesium citrate to balance it out. Magnesium makes you go and calcium stops you--so they're supposed to balance each other out (at my health food store they sell a magn./calc. supplement combined). I was afraid of calcium until I learned about this...but calcium is VERY import. esp. when I can't have dairy and I'm having a slow time adding soy to my diet! I hope this helps somehow...

I also take probiotics because I took a ton of antibiotics (I teach and had ste throat going around a lot this year--got it 5 times)! Probiotics replaces the bacteria you lose when you take antibiotics. If you DO take anti. for yor tummy--you might want to consider asking your doc about probiotics (esp. since we're IBS C!). Just a suggestion

I hope you feel better soon *hugs* Keep us posted!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5093 - 04/04/03 05:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I was taking citrcuel before my doc put me on a laxative--and the citrucel made me bloated too. (Metamucill was worse though). I think everyone's body is SO different that there isn't one sure thing for us IBSers...but most people do better with citrucel (methyll.) including my mom I'm looking for other options of soluble fiber--for now as soon as I'm off the laxative I will go back to citrucel and hope for the best (I've also tried benefiber and fibercon...). Hope you find this helpful--or at least interesting! Hope you're doing well. HAPPY FRIDAY!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#5100 - 04/04/03 06:01 AM
susaloh

Loc: Kiel, Germany

Thanks for asking, Ruchie!
Yes, I have recovered from my severe bout of self-pity (which was actually much worse than the bout of IBS!) thanks to this board, too, because I felt much better after 'unloading' it all...
Happy Friday to you, too!
Susaloh

#5132 - 04/04/03 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm starting to wonder if the soluble fiber pills are the best option for people who have bloating from all the powders (including Citrucel and Benefiber). Fibercon and Equalactin seem to be tolerated where other options aren't. I don't have any hard facts here, it's just the impression I'm getting.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Bloating? new
      #5139 - 04/04/03 01:47 PM
KinOz

Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I have been taking benefiber and like the tastlessness etc. I suffer from horrible bloating but I don't know whether I can blame the Sf as I do have days when I'm not bloated at all and last year I had 3-4 really great months with no bloating at all (i was taking fluoxetine Ad's at the time). If it was the sf I assume I would still have suffered the bloating during that time. What do you think?
I would be willing to try equalactin but it's not available in Aust. I would have to order it over the net and I'm not sure how expensive etc that would be.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1663

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review