Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hopeless case! Back to basics.
      #5082 - 04/04/03 12:34 AM
susaloh

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Kiel, Germany

No 175 recipes for me!!!
Hi,
Yesterday I cried my eyes out because my bloating had worked itself up to a proper IBS attack (you were right, Han Solo) and I realised I had to cut everything out once more - not only the foods I had tried to introduce so very cautiously (remember, the two teaspoons of oatmeal, the small potato and a few sips of soymilk) but basically EVERYTHING in order to stabilize. For now I cut down the fat by half (a quarter of a teaspoon of sour cream per meal), just a quarter of an apple and a teaspoon of fish at lunch and dinner (because I have to get worse to swallow down just plain rice. Just the thought makes me gag. Too many bad memories). Anyway, I think I can see a very small improvement today.

Gosh, I was so depressed. How can I be so unstable after 8 months on this rice diet??? I hadn't had a 'proper IBS attack triggered by food for 3 months (I did have my 'hormonal' IBS but that's different). I introduced the new foods 'by the book', even more gently, and still, over the past three weeks, I slowly got unstable. Though at first I thought I might be able just to live with the bloating, but then it got out of hand and the pain, and gurgling and loose stools are back in full strength.

I've followed Heather's guidelines to the book since November which wasn't difficult because I had already found out half of them on my own, and it is the only way to keep my IBS in check. But the truth seems to be that my personal equilibrium diet does not allow for anything other than rice, fish and chicken breast in a certain, low ratio, stewed carrot and apple, a certain amount of fat (not my biggest problem) and sweets made of simple sugars (which I need to hold my weight). And of course rice cakes with tiny amounts of margerine, honey or chocolate spread. Of course I need to strictly eat the same amounts at the same time of day every day. When very stable I can also have a slice of gluten free bread (after the rice of course) or a tinned apricot once in a while. That's it. Anything else will rock the boat and eventually, after a while, make me ill.

I was so distressed yesterday because it is so tiresome and so complicated to try and live a normal life in these circumstances. Whereever I go I need to drag along a bag full or rice cakes or even cooked meals in tupperware plus my fibre supplements and medications, and what's worse, at any social event even a coffee morning I can't touch any of the food or drinks on offer, never. If I could at least eat some biscuits or bread. Or potatoes. That would open up a whole range of possibilities for me. I'm having to explain my condition to everybody, and everybody is so understanding, but it's in the long run that they are finding it so weird and unnormal that there is no IMPROVEMENT! All these suggestions, and that I should see another doctor, etc. People get really worked up about my fate which is sweet but I could do without it.

So, today I've resolved rather to be grateful for what I've got: I know I can live more or less symptom free on above diet (as long as my hormones stay under control), I can go everywhere with my family, do sports (job's difficult with all the restrictions) and have friends. That's not bad, is it? Food shouldn't be so important, and there are millions of people who eat rice every day all their lives!

Thanks for bearing with me.

Susaloh

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hopeless case! Back to basics. new
      #5106 - 04/04/03 06:38 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

You mentioned cutting down on sour cream...I would cut it out completely. I have found since I have cut out all dairy (even if it wasn't a huge trigger) and all red meat and all my fruit is pureed, I feel alot better.

You may need to cut everything out like Heather outlines. Even if you don't think it's a huge trigger - you'd be surprised how much a little bit of something will affect you.

I have been on the diet for about 4 months now and I haven't tried to incorporate anything back into my diet that I shouldn't. I have just made myself get used to the fact that I can have the dairy in soy form.

I have almost tricked myself into believing that it's the same thing. Honestly - I can't really remember what "real" cheese or anything tastes like anymore.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#5115 - 04/04/03 08:30 AM
susaloh

Dear Lana-Marie,
Thanks for replying to my post, I'm a little bit ashamed because I was indulging in self-pity when I wrote it!

Well, I would be glad if I could incorporate a few things into my diet that I should! (Soy does not work for me as I found out now nor do oats or potatoes).

But you might be right - the sour cream is the only thing I'm still eating which is on Heather's list of no-nos. Though I wonder how did I get better and symptom-free for weeks with this trigger if it really is a trigger for me? I must admit I'm clinging to the sour cream like my dear life because the problem is, I've got to put something into this rice to make it more edible. Only once I'd found the sour cream (and I only add a tiny amount plus some drops of lemon juice) I managed to increase my portions and put on some weight and regain my strength. Butter just didn't do the trick. And I need some fat in my diet. Perhaps I should ask around for advice what else I could do with my rice instead of the sour cream.

Maybe I should cook my two bites of fish with oil rather than water, maybe that would give the rice some taste?

Thanks anyway

Susaloh

#5116 - 04/04/03 08:42 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Susaloh: How about cooking your rice in vegetable or chicken broth? That should add some flavor and nutrition. I also love Jasmine rice, I mix it with some cooked vegetables and some roasted chicken for a nice, flavorful, safe meal. Jasmine rice I can actually eat plain it's so great tasting. From what I've understood here, you can have a trigger not be a trigger then as Emeril would say "BAM" it bothers you.

#5121 - 04/04/03 10:21 AM
susaloh

Thanks Karin,
This sounds very good but do you mean homemade broth (I wouldn't really know what to do with the chicken afterwards ) When I looked through the brands at the supermarket they all seemed to have either garlic or onion and/or glutamat (flavour enhancer)which I think is another IBS trigger.
A bit puzzled,
Susaloh

#5122 - 04/04/03 10:33 AM
Karin

Heck, I made some once and it's still in the freezer! I purchase in the cartons, not cans, at my local health food store. But I've seen them in our markets. They do though have garlic and onions (the vegetable carton I have on hand does anyway) but no MSG. I don't know about the chicken variety, maybe someone on here has a carton on hand to look at. I'm kind of in the same predicament, too many carbs and any soy bothers me. Seems as though I'm hungry all the time and searching for something to eat.

#5123 - 04/04/03 11:05 AM
susaloh

Yeah, I know what you mean. When I cut out the fat I have to eat sugary sweets to keep my weight and my strength. I'd much rather eat something healthy. Can you eat potatoes?
I'll have to scour the health food shops here in Germany for broths. But I have a feeling they always come with onions or garlic.
best wishes
Susaloh

#5124 - 04/04/03 11:11 AM
Karin

No, potatoes I can't eat very well. Sometimes I can tolerate a little bit, but they give me such gas and bloating that I try and stay away from them. Same thing with bread, unfortunately. So I'm like you, rice is my staple. When my husband comes home and we're having roasted chicken, rice and a veggie, he knows I had a bad day.....lol.

#5126 - 04/04/03 11:47 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

I understand that you are looking for something to add to rice to add more flavor or just some at all. If you have an opportunity to go back to some older posts and you will find one from TessLouise that gives 101 way (ok I am exagerating, but close to it) to flavor rice. I am not sure what the name of the thread is. Hope it helps!

#5130 - 04/04/03 01:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Here's TessLouise's post of ways to jazz up white rice - tons of great ideas here web page

Try drizzling a little flax oil on instead of the sour cream. And you can make homemade chicken or veggie broth without any bad ingredients. Just freeze extra amounts.

Also, look into the IBS hypnotherapy tapes. They have really helped people when nothing else did. Check the hypno board for info and ask any questions you have.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5173 - 04/05/03 06:03 AM
susaloh

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions! Right now most of Tesslouise's suggestions make me want to cry (seem to be very close to tears all the time these days) because they look outrageous from where I am right now. It's the third day of 'rice and just a little bit more" and I'm almost symptom free (the irritation is gone) but my BM's are still terribly 'upset' and probably will be for the next two weeks or so. I'm munching my rice cakes all day long but I've already lost two pounds and it's taken me two months to put on those two pounds!! I must admit I'm feeling terribly depressed thinking that where I was just two weeks ago was not an early stage on the way to a better life but maybe that was it, that was as far as I could personally get, you know, what we call 'stable'. Then I could eat 10 things now it's only five, but still the 10 things do not seem worth living for.
Anyway, I'll look into the hypnotherapy, though I had thought this helped mainly those people with anxiety problems and that's one problem I don't have. I think that apart from being depressed right now, I'm generally quite relaxed (ever since we settled down after the big move which made my IBS so much worse last year).
Anyway thanks once more, I just need time to come out of this black hole, I guess.

Susaloh

Re: Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5176 - 04/05/03 06:59 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

sus,
I'm so sorry that your feeling so bad. I know how depressing it is no to be able to eat anything and to lose weight! It seems that I can lose weight so incredibly easily and it takes forever to gain the weight (which i really need to do) It makes me feel so awful when i gain 5 pounds, have an attack, and lose the 5 pounds! Ack! Mabey you should try an antispasmotic to help? When my body absolutly wont accept anything, i stick to applesauce and rice (my safest food) BTW, you said you like to eat rice cakes? WHat are they made of? The only kindof rice cakes they sell around here are made of whole grain brown rice.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Angel - Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5180 - 04/05/03 09:16 AM
susaloh

Hello Concrete Angel!!

Yes, that's what it says on the package, organic whole grain brown rice. There are about ten different brands but they're all made from whole grain rice. I've wondered about the whole grain before, but I do get better as long as I stick to the rice cakes so I guess it's not a trigger. It just can't be. I think without them I would just starve.

It's weird how difficult it is to gain weight. I wouldn't have thought this possible but my body gets kind of settled on a low weight/low energy level and eventually it gets really hard to eat more. That's why I hate this so much. Fortunately I know these days that sugar's okay - so I eat some very unhealthy and sugary sweets after every rice meal, for consolation and for fullness. Do you have this in the States, it's a kind of pink and white bars (fondant) with a taste of peppermint? (the pink is a natural additive if you buy the right brand). A bit like dinner mints without the chocolate.

It's been so good to get all these replies - THANKS!
Susaloh

Re: Angel - Rice and hypnotherapy new
      #5181 - 04/05/03 09:39 AM
ConcreteAngel

I LOVE sugar. In fact, I just had 5 pieces of homeade angel food cake. I know sugars not a ibs trigger, but now i feel really nauseous. ::barf:: too much sugar. lol. Okay, anyway, there are some brown rice cakes in my cupboard, im just alittle hesitant to try them, because i never had brown rice before, and its whole gain (which i never had before neither. What kindof sugary sweets can you tolerate?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#5186 - 04/05/03 11:21 AM
Lana_Marie

I have actually never put sour cream in my rice. I make my rice with water, onions, salt and pepper.
Sometimes I will add chicken broth into my rice instead of water and it adds tons of flavour. I will also cook
my chicken with chicken broth (just a little to add more moisture).

I have also added mushrooms or garlic or anything else I find in my fridge.

Good news! I have always made my rice like this so luckily I have never had to make changes to my rice.

Hope this helps

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

Re: Lana-rice new
      #5187 - 04/05/03 11:25 AM
ConcreteAngel

Lana, you like to rice with mushrooms,onions and garlic? ........wow, thats totally different from the way i eat my rice! I put brown sugar, white sugar,cinnamon,vanilla,salt, and sometimes a chopped banana in my rice. lol white and sweet and good to eat

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Lana-rice new
      #5188 - 04/05/03 11:28 AM
Lana_Marie

You are so cute, Angela. I usually do something like that for breakfast.

But for supper I add those types of things in there. Not all at once because then you just get sick of all the items.
I kinda change 'em up. Depends what I feel like and what I have on hand.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#5189 - 04/05/03 12:17 PM
susaloh

Angel,
I haven't really tried many things, I don't like candies and I love milk chocolate but that's definitely a no-no now unless it's very dark. So really I'm stuck with all these fondant things - there's probably a special word for this in America if you've got it at all. You probably know dinner mints, don't you (it's more of a British thing but I guess you do have them in the States?) So the inside of those, that's fondant, this white stiff cream. It's basically just sugar. Here in Germany at Easter they sell a lot of little figures out of this cream, like little yellow chicks and chocolate covered little nests with little sugar eggs in. I really feel embarassed that I eat these things! Well, one per day, anyway.
Otherwise it's dinner mints of all types. I got this idea
from a German IBS board, actually.

Aha, and one good thing they do here in Germany, that's chocolate covered rice cakes and rice cakes with a (thin) yogurt coating! The little kids take them to school as a snack. They are absolutely delicious! But they do have a bit more fat than desireable (4 g per slice) so I only have one once in a while as a treat for desert!

I'm really curious to hear whether you know what I mean with fondant sweets?!

Take care
Susaloh

#5190 - 04/05/03 12:23 PM
ConcreteAngel

I think i know what you mean by the little sweets. I love fruit snacks, but they are packed with corn syrup, so i have one 3 times a day (after meals) I just like to suck on them and savor the moment :hehe: I also love the candy hearts that they sell around valentines day. They sell after dinner mints, but are made of pure artificial sugar that i cant handle to well. I also love rice cakes. they make a rice cake called apple cinnamon. Theyre mm mm good!

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Hypnotherapy for all IBS, not just anxiety-related new
      #5191 - 04/05/03 12:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - We do have fondant candies in the US.

Hypnotherapy works on the brain-gut dysfunction that actually causes IBS symptoms. It is effective whether your symptoms and attacks are anxiety-related or not. Because it is so relaxing, it is helpful for people who have anxiety problems as well, but this is a bonus. If you're having problems when you're totally relaxed and don't feel that anxiety is involved at all, this doesn't make a difference for hypnotherapy. You still have the dysfunction of the enteric (gut) nervous system and that system's interaction with your brain. Hypnotherapy causes physical changes to this system and alleviates IBS symptoms as a result.

I'd really urge you to check Shawneric's posts on the hypno board. There are a TON of helpful links and article info there, and he can explain how hypnotherapy works for IBS in very clear, explicit terms much better than I can.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

That's really interesting, will check it out!!! new
      #5194 - 04/05/03 12:41 PM
susaloh

#5195 - 04/05/03 12:47 PM
susaloh

You know, I've never tried a rice CAKE! What I meant with chocolate coated rice cakes is just the ones you've got in your cupboard but with a thin coating of chocolate. You don't have these in the US, do you? (Just curious, it's so nice to chat about such unimportant matters!)

Susaloh

#5196 - 04/05/03 12:57 PM
ConcreteAngel

no, they dont sell chocolate covered rice cakes here in the US But thats okay, because i cant tolerate chocolate anyway.The rice cakes here are just whole grain brown rice with some natural flavors. they sell regular, apple cinnamon,popcorn flavored and extra salty. I love the apple cinnamon ones . I love rice soooooo much. i wish there was a way I could actually make a rice cake (that is a cake made with real rice) hehe

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Rice CAKE! new
      #5198 - 04/05/03 01:14 PM
susaloh

I've actually got a recipe for you for a real rice CAKE! I'll put it in the recipe section of the board tomorrow (it's 11pm here). It will be a bit weird because of the European measurements but it looks yummy!

Susaloh

Re: Rice CAKE! new
      #5199 - 04/05/03 01:23 PM
ConcreteAngel

oh my gosh! Thank you soooooooooooooooooooo Much! **hugs** an actual rice cake? Yippee!!!!!!!
Anywho, what are you doing online at 11pm? you must get sleep to tame your ibs missy... lol j/k. thanks again Its only 4:30pm here

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Hypnotherapy for all IBS, not just anxiety-related new
      #5210 - 04/05/03 04:31 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi HEATHER; those hypn. tapes sound great but they are so darned expensive!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4568 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4779

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review