All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Benytol
      #506 - 02/07/03 09:43 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

For those on the little blue pill, I have a few questions. 1. How often do you take it?
2. Do you take it in the middle of an attack or after?
3. How log does it take to take effect?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Benytol new
      #509 - 02/07/03 11:12 AM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

As prescribed, Bentyl is taken four times a day--before each meal and one before bedtime. My doctor explained that it has no cumulative effect, though, so once you are stable you can just take it as needed. I take it when I feel cramps coming on and it will often make them go completely away in 15 or 30 minutes if they aren't that bad. I will also take it before a meal if it might be less than safe. And finally, I will sometimes take it if I am a touch constipated and I feel like I have to go but I just can't quite do it. It will relax things and sometimes start some gentle movement. My doctor is fine with all of these uses.

#527 - 02/07/03 01:36 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

What exactly is Benytol? Is it useful for IBS - C or D?
I am IBS-C and am scared to take anything that stops cramps in case it makes me c.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Bentyl (was Re: Benytol) new
      #529 - 02/07/03 01:47 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Bentyl is an anti-spasmodic (to ease cramps). I have IBS-C and was prescribed Bentyl briefly by my family practitioner. I was to take it as needed for pain. It only helped about half the time, and it did "slow things down." I never finished the prescription. But that's just my experience; others with IBS-C have had better experiences.

#531 - 02/07/03 01:53 PM
sek

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Virginia, USA

I was assuming 'Benytol' is supposed to be Bentyl since I did a quick internet search and got no results for Benytol.

I think it might help both IBS-C and D but I'm not sure. I'm IBS-C so it helps that for sure. This was the first IBS medication I ever took. I took it four times a day for three weeks and went to the bathroom every single morning. And this was before I discovered Heather's diet so I was eating lots of trigger foods at the time. I still got some cramps, and had about the same amount of bloating, but I was pretty thrilled to just be going to the bathroom.

Are you afraid of relaxing your bowels to a halt? The relaxed feeling I experience is not a stopping of movement but rather it seems to allow very gentle movement.

Re: anti-spasmodics new
      #534 - 02/07/03 02:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

One interesting thing about the common anti-spasmodics used for IBS (Levsin, Bentyl, Donnatol) is that they vary A LOT in their effectiveness from person to person. For example, some people have no results from Levsin but great results from Bentyl. Other people have the exact opposite experience. So if you're trying an anti-spasmodic and it's not working well for you, it's worth it to ask your doc about switching the prescription to one of the other options.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1000 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6635

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review