All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Heather/Parasites
      #505 - 02/07/03 09:41 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

While trying to find out what I could do for my IBS, I saw an herbalist, and she diagnosed me with having parasites. Any link between the two?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Heather/Parasites new
      #512 - 02/07/03 12:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - It is possible for someone to have intestinal parasites and suffer symptoms that mimic IBS. Doctors should routinely screen stool samples of someone with IBS symptoms before making a diagnosis. If you do have parasites, this can be treated and your symptoms should disappear. Parasites do not cause IBS - these are two separate problems. I'd be curious as to how your herbalist diagnosed you with parasites, and whether she is suggesting that you've been misdiagnosed with IBS.

Here's a link for info on intestinal parasites info:

Parasites

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#578 - 02/08/03 01:34 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Stacey - What did she base her dx on?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#607 - 02/09/03 06:59 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

Hi all,

My naturopath diagnosed me with a parasite in my gut also - she did this through Vega testing (bit hard to explain but uses a type of 'frequency' machine and uses a pressure point on the right thumb) as i said, bit hard to explain, but there is info on it on the net.
She gave me some powder to mix with water that was meant to help the lining of my gut, as well as some tablets to combat parasites. After almost a year of no change, on my last visit to her, she found that the parasite had gone, but the damage to my gut remained.
Does this, then, Heather, mean that i DON'T have IBS? I have your book and am following it, and certainly have the symptoms - severe bloating, alternating between c & d, and general lethargy. I am taking Colofac which is really helping me.
Also, I read in my local paper on the weekend about a lady who had very similar symptoms of IBS - bloating, abdominal pain, etc but actually discovered she had ovarian cancer! Has anyone heard of such similar symptoms between the two?

#741 - 02/12/03 11:20 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

Sorry, I don't know how but I responded to the wrong message of yours. Check "Body for life" reply from Stacey Wikle

#746 - 02/12/03 01:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I've never heard of a way to diagnose parasites except a stool test, and a regular medical lab would have to run this.

If you haven't seen a GI doc for a firm diagnosis, I would definitely do that to make sure that IBD and celiac have been ruled out. And yes, ovarian cancer can mimic IBS, and there is a blood test that can do some initial diagnostic work here. If you really suspect something here, I'd see an ob/gyn as well for some tests.

I don't know how much credibility to give the herbalist's diagnosis of damage to the lining of your gut. That's something that would have to be seen in an exam such as a colonoscopy. If you DO have damage like this, it would not be IBS, though it could cause symptoms like IBS. This is another reason to see a GI doc and run all this info by him/her so you can get some solid diagnostic information here. With the info that you've given me, I honestly wouldn't put any stock at all into what the herbalist has told you. It doesn't sound like she's using legitimate diagnostic tools, or that she understands what IBS is and is not, and her recommendations haven't been helping you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#783 - 02/12/03 07:18 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

Thanks for your response, Heather.
I have had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy and all were ok, which is great, and there was no evidence of any gut lining damage that was reported.
I guess i am open to ANYTHING and seeing the naturopath is not going to do me any harm as far as i can tell. She has advised me to stay away from all dairy, as does your book, which i am.
I am now taking supplements from her and also my anti spasmodics from my gastroenterologist.
Am still getting chronic bloating, even when I cook 'friendly', which is very uncomfortable, and spurts of d. I am also drinking St John's wort tea which seems to be balancing out anxiousness bought about by the condition, or by external forces that aggrevate the condition.

#4123 - 03/26/03 06:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I had my colonoscopy, was tested for celiac, thyroid, etc. I wasn't tested for parasites. Should I be concerned that I may have ben misdiagnosed with IBS--do I need to have a test done to be sure I don't have parasites? My GI doc. didn't mention anything about parasites--if I need to get it done--would he be the person to talk to? (I don't have a primary care phys. at the moment). Thakns so much!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4160 - 03/26/03 12:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Usually they do a standard stool test for parasites. Honestly, unless you go camping and drink from streams or travel to third world countries, you're not too likely to be exposed to GI parasites. It can happen, and it's easy enough to rule out, but since you've had all these other diagnostic tests I wouldn't be too worried about this.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2711 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1655

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review