All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Protein powders for weight gain
      #50336 - 03/14/04 07:09 AM
hslib

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: VA

I believe some people gave me a bit of info. already on this subject, but I just have a few more questions. Since I have the D part of IBS, someone suggested Rice powder instead of the others. I looked up some sites online and some of them contain a lot of fiber. Is that going to cause me more pain and D? Has anyone tried these as a source of gaining weight? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

hslib

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Protein powders for weight gain new
      #50352 - 03/14/04 09:02 AM
happyday

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Chicago, IL

Protien powder can be a source of calories if you drink that as your beverage along with a meal, or as a snack. If you have a protien drink as a meal then that would not be the best way to gain weight since most protien powder drinks have less calories than a normal meal. I personally am trying to lose weight now, but a few years ago I was trying to gain weight. I found that the best thing for me was eating more often, and eating more nut butters like almond, peanut, cashew etc. Depending on your stomach you may want to add these things. I would usually eat them on bread, or swirl into my oatmeal and that made them very easy on my belly.
Hope that helps!

hslib, new
      #50370 - 03/14/04 10:52 AM
jenX

Reged: 08/11/03
Loc: Richmond, VA

I'm not trying to gain weight, but I am trying to gain energy. I don't think I get enough protein in my diet. I have really bad IBS-A, so I can sympathize with your worries about making your symptoms worse!

Here's what I do, though naturally, that may not work for you! I use the protein in a fruit smoothie as a mini-meal ('cause I don't want to gain weight). I don't eat gluten, so I have to be pretty careful as to what I add to my food. I don't use a rice protein powder, though, I use soy. Soy is the only complete protein source outside of meat! Did you know that? I think that's cool. ANYWAY... I use Naturade 100% Soy Protein Booster. I get it at my HFS, but see that when I Google it, there are tons of places online where you could get it... It has 25g of soy protein per 8oz serving, is 110 calories (none of which are from fat!), 1 g of fat, and, among other things, 0g dietary fiber. And that's great!

Like I said, I have a fruit smoothie in the morning and toss this in it. I also use my acacia at that time. I started the protein boost at the same time I started the acacia and have noticed NO PROBLEMS and DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT in my energy (for a few hours) and my symptoms (which is the acacia, I believe).

The reason I stress the acacia is this: if you do the protein in a smoothie, make sure you're getting enough soluble fiber or that will be too much fruit!

--------------------

Odds are the fiber in there is soluble, which would help... new
      #50382 - 03/14/04 11:45 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

see if the label breaks down the type of fiber. If it's a rice protein supplement, you can be pretty confident that's all soluble fiber, unless they're adding something else to the mix. It's actually a good idea to have soluble fiber either in or added to your protein powder, so if the powder itself doesn't have it try adding your soluble fiber supplement to the smoothie.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: hslib, new
      #50651 - 03/15/04 08:43 AM
sss

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: North Carolina

That sounds so good right now, because once again...I'm hungry. I am definetly going to try it. thanks so much!!!

Re: Protein powders for weight gain new
      #50652 - 03/15/04 08:45 AM
sss

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: North Carolina

Thanks, I do not want to gain any weight!

jenX new
      #50913 - 03/15/04 04:12 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Can you send me a link to your smoothie recipe? I've searched, but I'm not seeing YOURS

P.S. I DON'T want to gain weight!!

P.S.S. Never mind... I found more info on it by reading this page.... web page

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (03/15/04 04:34 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1359 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 980

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review