All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
diet and excercise????
      #49760 - 03/11/04 02:44 PM
sss

Reged: 03/11/04
Loc: North Carolina

I have been excercising everyday and was told to drink protein shakes to help build muscle. Will this irritate the IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Protein shakes vs. Smoothies new
      #49765 - 03/11/04 02:50 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

It depends what's in the shakes. Many contain dairy or other harmful ingredients. Have you ever thought of trying smoothies instead? Heather has some great smoothie recipes, and there are some great ones on the recipe index too. They're a great way of getting some extra calories and protein too! Personally I love making them with sliced banana, soymilk, and a little bit of sugar and cinnamon. Sometimes I even throw in cocoa powder. Yummy and safe!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: diet and excercise???? new
      #49766 - 03/11/04 02:51 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Exercise can be very helpful, most especially if it's something like yoga that involves poses helpful for digestion, and meditation to reduce stress and induce relaxation.

Protein is fine as long as it's from soy, egg whites, skinless poultry white meat, and seafood. No red meat or dairy, no whey protein powders.

You need about 20-25% of your calories from fat, 30% or so from protein, and the balance from complex carbs. If you do a board search you'll find lots of posts on protein, exercise, and how to gain weight.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Protein shakes vs. Smoothies new
      #49775 - 03/11/04 03:01 PM
sss

Thank you...What is the difference between Acacia and Benefiber as far as reducing bloating? I can't find Acacia anywhere in my area.

I just emailed you about this - nt- new
      #49777 - 03/11/04 03:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: diet and excercise???? new
      #49778 - 03/11/04 03:07 PM
sss

Heather, Thank you. No matter how much weight I lose, I look pregnant. What is the difference in Acacia and Benefiber as far as bloating, and can I get the Acacia at a nearby pharmacy?

Re: I just emailed you about this - nt- new
      #49780 - 03/11/04 03:16 PM
sss

what is the difference between Acacia and Benefiber as far as bloating? Can I get Acacia at a nutrition store. I also bought Fennel seed today, but it is in capsule form, did I get the right thing?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2433 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 837

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review