All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Inflammation etc.-Heather please take a look if you can!
      #49070 - 03/09/04 03:42 PM
rlan

Reged: 06/05/03

I have a couple things!

1) I just got back from vacation and I must say for the most part my stomach was good. Of course I ate things I shouldn't have but I did alright! oh, and I tried to stick with the hypno tapes I'm on day 17. don't really notic any changes yet but i'm hoping!

2) i'm feeling frustrated b/c right before i went away I was sick and all I ate was toast smoothies and little bit of egg white or veggie sausage pattie and my stomach was great! In fact teh first day of my trip was the BM I've had in forever. the problem is I can't live off of those foods one it's not healthy I mean I wasn't exercising or working b/c i was sick so it was fine but regularly I would never survive. What do I do? When I got home I was going to eat those things to get my stomach good but then I realized that even if that works I can't live like that. B/c for me even if I get my stomach good once I add in other foods (all foods that are on teh diet) it goes back to being bad. Any suggestions? Why is this? VERY FRUSTRATING!

3) I've had hip and othe joing problems for about 8 years and it's become worse and so after seeing chiripractor and orthipedic surgeon they found nothing. the Orthopedic asked about any colitis and i said IBS (very frustrating b/c he kept ccalling it an IBD and I don't think he knew) he said this could be causing the inflammation. Is this true? What do I do and why does it seem to get worse. I found on vacation it ddin't really bother me. I had two thoughts first I didn't work out hardly (for me at least) and second the weather was hot. could these have made a difference? I noticed the hip bothering me as soon as I got back before I had a chance to get to the gym!

Thanks for all your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Joints new
      #49168 - 03/10/04 04:04 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

hey there.

A symptom of Crohn's (I think!!!) is joint pain, but that should've been ruled out with a colonoscopy. HOWEVER, there's something called Fibromyalgia that's linked to IBS and causes joint pain. I'm pretty sure I've got it, thuogh I haven't been tested yet due to lack of time. I reckon I've had it for years, but it flared up with the IBS - now whenever I have an IBS flare-up I get a Fibro attack. Do a search in the Living Room for the topic.

Re: Joints new
      #49264 - 03/10/04 09:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep - Linz is right. Crohn's, which is IBD, can cause joint problems, as can fibromyalgia, as can celiac. It's really important that you have Crohn's and celiac ruled out as they can mimic IBS. Fibro often includes IBS as a part of its symptoms. Just plain IBS as a stand-alone problem should not cause any joint issues, however. So this is where you need to be sure you've been properly diagnosed, and not by a chiropractor. A GI doc needs to do the tests to rule out inflammatory bowel diseases and celiac, and you may need a colonoscopy as well as bloodwork.

Check the recent newsletter for info on how to expand your diet when you're afraid to - that's here web page

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Joints new
      #49351 - 03/10/04 03:15 PM
rlan

Thanks for the response....I had a GI (actually 2 diagnose with IBS) The first one did a colonoscopy (what an awful experience! The second looked at the files and talked with me). would this rule out celiac? I know he said he could tell from it I didn't have chron's. i'm IBS-C does that change things? About the joint pain, that's why I felt like I kept repeating to the orthopedic dr. I have IBS it's not the same as an IBD! Isn't that so annoying? I've determined in the last week that I hate Dr.s they seem so uneducated and have no people skills. If anyone lives in MI and knows of a great doc let me know please!

one more thing.... new
      #49352 - 03/10/04 03:18 PM
rlan

I forgot to put in my post - sorry to be a pest but what did you think of my second problem about the plain foods etc? I noticed someone else posted how the first few weeks things were great and can't get back there. This has been like that for me for a long time now. I had a great spell in end of Dec. but not since then. thanks for being patient!

Joints and one more thing! new
      #49435 - 03/11/04 05:18 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey there - as Heather says, you need a GI to rule out Celiac. Fibromyalgia is tested for by a Rheumatologist. Get referrals off your doc asap.

Not sure what the plain foods thing was. Bump a message if it hasn't been answered - they get lost in the rush. Just reply to your own post with "Bump - nt" in the Subject line.

Bump-nt (I think this is what you said to write!) new
      #49677 - 03/11/04 12:39 PM
rlan

2) i'm feeling frustrated b/c right before i went away I was sick and all I ate was toast smoothies and little bit of egg white or veggie sausage pattie and my stomach was great! In fact teh first day of my trip was the BM I've had in forever. the problem is I can't live off of those foods one it's not healthy I mean I wasn't exercising or working b/c i was sick so it was fine but regularly I would never survive. What do I do? When I got home I was going to eat those things to get my stomach good but then I realized that even if that works I can't live like that. B/c for me even if I get my stomach good once I add in other foods (all foods that are on teh diet) it goes back to being bad. Any suggestions? Why is this? VERY FRUSTRATING!

Insoluble fiber confusion/crisis new
      #49831 - 03/11/04 07:54 PM
rlan

Ok, I read heather's suggestions on insoluble fiber from the newsletter like she suggested I review and even though I've been on the diet for a long time it's good to refresh. So now, I'm confused b/c I want to be really anal about my eating to see if I can't get my stomach better. So, her it goes... should I avoid all insoluble for a little and completly start over (i've tried in teh past for a few days and did not work for me) or should I just be very careful with my insoluble fiber and make sure ALL are cooked or pureed? Ok but let's say I make sloppy Joe and add in pepper is it ok for them to just be chopped and cooked (of course eaten on a bun) or is this not cautious enough. Right now I think I feel just as confused as I did when I started b/c I am desparate and need to get back on track.

Also, heather had mentioned celiac to me. How do I know if I should be tested? I read article posted here and online but I just feel lost. People talk about when you're "stable" but I don't even know what that means anymore. I thought I was cautious but occasionally I like a few slices of tomato on my sandwich! I thought this was ok, I mean I had bread and carrots with it. Ok basicly I will take any advice I can get. I"m at teh point that I will do anything just to be "normal". I don't mind eating this way (I dn't find it that hard), but it's not working for me. WHY? (sorry if I've posted too much today!)

Advice on insoluble fiber confusion/crisis new
      #49839 - 03/11/04 08:07 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Rlan, I'm not sure how you're doing right now. If you're in the midst of a cycle of attacks, it might be good not to eat insolubles for a little while until you stabilize. But if not, you should certainly be able to work in those insolubles in a safe way. Honestly, how you can eat them totally depends on your body, because we all respond to each food differently. You mentioned adding pepper to a sloppy joe, and that works fine for me as long as it's chopped and cooked, but if I try to eat broccoli it has to be pureed otherwise it bothers me. Also, some people have difficulty with cooked tomatoes, while I tolerate those wonderfully. So my advice would be to puree anything you're unsure of to start with and slowly begin trying things out to see what works for you. Most likely you'll be fine with most things as long as they're cooked and chopped and you're having them after soluble fiber. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Insoluble fiber confusion/crisis new
      #50077 - 03/12/04 01:16 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Is that a sloppy joe with hamburger? as in beef? please say no....

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5684 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1726

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review