All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Intolerance Testing
      #4800 - 04/01/03 02:15 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello everyone. I am just wondering to those of you who live in the US, have any of you had a food intolerance test? If so did it help. I am still struggling to find some of my triggers and was just wondering if I should get tested here (Would have to find somewhere) or while I am in the UK. Wondering if it is worth it.

Thank you once again,

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Intolerance Testing new
      #4802 - 04/01/03 02:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Sheri - Do you have info on the types of tests they run to determine the intolerance? I haven't been able to find credible tests other than straightforward food allergy testing, which would be done by a doctor (an allergist). And this would only show allergies (a true immune system response) and not intolerances.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4827 - 04/01/03 05:10 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

Let me know if there is anything as well... I had a nasty reaction to mussles a few times (landed me in the ER), and went to see an allergist. The allergy test came back negative, but he told me I was probably "sensitive" to shellfish.

I was considering going back to the allergist to rule out food allergies, but since my reactions are all D or nausea, they don't fit the typical swelling/hives charasteric of allergies. I don't know if it is even worth going back to have the tests done.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#4864 - 04/01/03 06:56 PM
Peanut

My fiance told me about a place that does it in York (the UK) and costs around $300+. I called my doctor who gave me a number to an allergist. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they say. I know a friend from work had a test done in Seattle somewhere and felt that the test was right on. If I have to I will go there, if we can't find anything a bit closer. If it comes to it, I might just take the test in the UK when I am there in June and it does test for 112 different things. What do you think?

Sheri

--------------------

#4865 - 04/01/03 06:58 PM
Peanut

I will. I am calling an allergist tomorrow to see what kind of tests can be done. I am finding that I am having the unsettled feeling again with safe foods, so I just want to find out. One way or another, but will let you know what I find out. I know that doctors seems to frown when you mention the word alternative medicine, but hey if it works.......

Sheri

--------------------

#4866 - 04/01/03 07:08 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

I live in Australia and my naturopath does a food allergy test called 'Vega Testing' - credible? Who knows, but I find that I am not AS bad when I avoid the foods that I 'appear' to be allergic to. I am sure they have Vega testing in the US. Look forward to hearing how you go!

Take care.

#4881 - 04/02/03 03:23 AM
tlc

Reged: 03/06/03
Loc: Australia

Where in Oz are you? I'm in QLd and haven't heard of vega testing before - can you tell me more about it?

#4890 - 04/02/03 06:27 AM
Peanut

Thank you and I hope to find out at least something today. I will also let you know how I get on.

Thanks again,

Sheri

--------------------

#5023 - 04/03/03 03:13 PM
ajc

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: australia

Well, it's fairly hard to explain, but I will do my best. I think the whole thing works on some sort of frequency within your body. My naturopath has many many little vials of all sorts of foods and grains (wheat, yeast, potatoes, dairy, tomatoes - absolutely everything)and the patient holds a metal bar type thing in their hand (about 10 cm in length) and the naturopath (with another 'wand' like instrument) presses on a pressure point on the opposite hand's thumb (generally you hold the rod with your right hand and the pressure point used is on your left thumb just right of the nail.) When different vials are put in the machine and she presses on the pressure point, different frequencies are activated - I think the general rule is if the frequency is really low, you are allergic to that particular grain or food. I could have that around the wrong way though.
I lived in Queensland for four years and that is where I first heard of it - I am not sure where you are in Queensland but I used to go to a naturopath at Isle of Capri on the Gold Coast. I am now back in Adelaide and my naturopath here uses it. Hope I have not completely confused you - look it up on the internet - I am sure there is a site on it! As I said before, may not be the ultimate allergy testing system, but seems to work ok for me, as well as telling me what vitamins I may be deficient in at that time!! Hope this helps!

#5024 - 04/03/03 03:40 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

tlc,

I used to go to a naturopath in cleveland who was really good who uses the vegatest machine and treatment program. I think it did help me in some way but I didn't think the money I was spending on it was justified. I still suffered the IBS symptoms pretty much to the same degree although my nausea was non existant and my energy definately improved. But it was very expensive.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 965 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1390

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review