All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Info on Fennel tea
      #47394 - 03/01/04 08:49 PM
Jerryn

Reged: 02/22/04
Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

I know it tastes like licorice ( at least to me) but is it made from licorice? Because I have read that licorice can raise your blood pressure and in fact was told this at a health food store. Anybody have some input or direct me to the link where I can read it myself. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Info on Fennel tea new
      #47519 - 03/02/04 12:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Fennel and licorice are two completely different plants. Anise is another herb that's helpful for IBS that also tastes like licorice, but is totally unrelated. There's info on fennel here Fennel

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#47633 - 03/02/04 04:58 PM
Jerryn

Thanks Heather. I actually borrowed your books from a friend here who got them from you. Just got them tonight and also found out that our local Chapter's book store carries or can get them, so I'll be purchasing them both. Sorry, don't have credit cards to order online Looking forward to some good reading!!! Thanks again

#48467 - 03/06/04 10:28 AM
Jerryn

Quote:

Hi - Fennel and licorice are two completely different plants. Anise is another herb that's helpful for IBS that also tastes like licorice, but is totally unrelated. There's info on fennel here Fennel

- H

Heather, I have another question or concern more like it about this part:
Fennel has anti-spasmodic properties and it stimulates the production of gastric juices. It's useful for gastrointestinal and menstrual cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, colic, stomachaches, and indigestion.
By producing gastric juices, would that also increase stomach acid? I am asking as I have that other upper GI problem as well and still have trouble with it after almost one year post op. Boo hoo, just crying in my tea
Also have a few GERD friends who have recently been diagnosed with IBS who asked me the same question. Of course, I have directed them to here for their IBS
Thanks. Jerry
P.S. I have tried to research this concern on my own but no luck.

Re: Info on Fennel tea-I still don't get it:( new
      #48468 - 03/06/04 10:50 AM
rachelgreen

Reged: 03/03/04
Loc: Poland

I've got one question about Fennel - correct me if I wrong, 'coz I still don't get it:( Fennel is used as a carminative, right? So how it can help me, if I suffer mostly from excessive gas already? Thanks for replies in advance!
Cheers

For Heather new
      #48548 - 03/07/04 11:01 AM
Jerryn

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heather, I have another question or concern more like it about this part:
Fennel has anti-spasmodic properties and it stimulates the production of gastric juices. It's useful for gastrointestinal and menstrual cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, colic, stomachaches, and indigestion.
By producing gastric juices, would that also increase stomach acid? I am asking as I have that other upper GI problem as well and still have trouble with it after almost one year post op. Boo hoo, just crying in my tea
Also have a few GERD friends who have recently been diagnosed with IBS who asked me the same question. Of course, I have directed them to here for their IBS
Thanks. Jerry
P.S. I have tried to research this concern on my own but no luck

Re: For Heather new
      #48572 - 03/07/04 03:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - nope, fennel shouldn't make your stomach more acid at all. It wouldn't help heartburn and indigestion if that were the case.

Definitely give it a try - I think it's one of the all-around most tolerable herbs for IBS. Folks who can't use peppermint, ginger, or chamomile usually have no problems at all with fennel.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 564 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 788

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review