All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
supplerments - what really works and what doesn't?
      #47254 - 02/29/04 07:18 PM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

Questions about supplements ya'll!

After reading Jordan Rubins book about the natural remedies he used to get better, and to get those good enzymes back in control of his tummy, I was very inresting in trying out the products.

I am taking Primal Defence (a probiotic) and digestive enzymes daily. It has only been a week, so I haven't noticed much of a difference yet.

I am wondering if I should be taking the fiber supplements (Acaia, fiberCon) as well. Or should I just be taking the fiber and not the Probitics or food enzymes.

I am a little confused and would like to hear from any others who are using any such products like these and if they notice them working.

Let me know!!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: supplerments - what really works and what doesn't? new
      #47256 - 02/29/04 09:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Soluble fiber supplements and probiotics both have clinical studies supporting their use for IBS (check the research library board under the diet and herbs, supplements sections). Enzymes don't have studies that I'm aware of, but they can't hurt and might help. All three of these supplements do different things, and you may do well with one, two, or all three. I'd also add on that herbal teas and enteric coated peppermint oil capsules can be really helpful. To some extent, you just have to try different ones and see which you find most helpful. Personally, I find soluble fiber supplements, peppermint tea, and the peppermint caps to be my favorites. Other folks prefer fennel tea or probiotics, etc.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: supplerments - what really works and what doesn't? new
      #47360 - 03/01/04 02:57 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

HI Bethany

Well, everyone is different, so it's a matter of trial and error.

I mostly deal with d and lately, gas and bloating. I'm using the peppermint caps as needed (they are wonderful). I drink either the fennel or peppermint tea just about every day. I'm up to 1 t. of acacia three times a day. I take the Jarro probiotic morning and night. I take Beano, as needed, with meals that might be gas producing.

I agree, the probiotics seem to really help. I was on two courses of antibiotics in Dec so I think all the "good" bacteria was wiped out with the "bad" causing my latest IBS setback.

Supplements that I'm still investigating are: Equalactin, Caltrate 600 + D, and perhaps a digestive enzyme (like papaya).

I've skimmed Jordan Rubin's book "Patient, Heal Thyself." It is an interesting read, but I'm basically following Heather's diet and the advice I gleam from these boards.

Thanks to all that post and share what works for them!

janet

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 598

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review