All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Good News
      #4704 - 03/31/03 07:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi everyone! I have some good news - YES, GOOD NEWS – that I wanted to share. I did something today that I thought I would never be able to do. I confided in a coworker! We started talking & I told her all about my IBS. I almost came close to telling her twice last week. And guess what? She thinks she has it too! I couldn't believe it. She had a dr's appt. today after work (a regular physical) and she was going to bring it up in there. We sat there & talked for about 1 1/2 hrs! (We're really, really slow at work.) I told her all about the Heather books, this board, etc. She had no idea about any of the soluble/insoluble fiber, common triggers, etc. (Remember those days! LOL) Basically, we compared IBS notes.

It felt so good to tell her. I have to admit that sometimes when I know she's in the bathroom, it makes me feel like I have to go (we share the same one with 2 stalls), & then I get all freaked out thinking I have to go—sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But then, sometimes as soon as she walks out, the feeling like I have to go goes away. I've actually driven home before to go. I only live about 5 min. from work. You would think if I could hold it for 5 min. to get home, I could wait for 5 min. for her to come out. *sigh* I think that maybe by driving home though I get a feeling of some control, because I'm doing something. Who knows...

I really don't know what's wrong with me. I mean, I should just get up & go. That's what the bathroom is there for, right? I don't know. I sometimes think I have a phobia about having a BM when someone else is in there. I've never heard anyone else talking about this, but I do know when I told my doc told about it, he told me this wasn't uncommon, so that made me feel less like a crazy person.

I think a lot of it has to do with I grew up as an only child with just my mom (my little sister wasn't born till I was 20). And I was always painfully shy. Couldn't tell that now could ya! lol I swear if someone told me 5 years ago I'd be discussing my BMs with strangers, coworkers, friends & family, I would have thought they were nuts! This IBS has really brought me out of my "shell" so to speak.

So, basically, the whole point of my story is I told her. I feel better, because I feel like now she knows what's going on, maybe that will ease some of my anxiety at work, especially in the mornings when I usually feel unstable. (Although Friday & today I felt better than usual...I think I may be onto something! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!) Not only did I tell her about the IBS, I told her about the freaking out when she goes in there, and she told me to just come on in and go, because she knows exactly what it's like. And, not only that, she feels like everyone knows she keeps going in there (me included--the bathroom is right around the corner from my desk), and so now she feels better that I don't think she's weird cause she's always going! Good grief! We're both nuts! LOL Anyway, she also feels better too, because someone else knows what she was going through. I have to say, she is the first person I've ever talked to in person that had IBS also (or at least thinks she does). I gave her a lot of info & gave her the info on Heather's books. She couldn't wait to go to the doctor with all her new info! I guess you could say we bonded! LOL

Well, I hope no one thinks I'm too weird now. But, I do believe that talking to her today & sharing it now is another step in the road to my recovery. And, not only did I help myself, I helped her too!

Thanks for listening…

Oh, and I really do have the IBS, not just the "phobia". It's just another fun "side effect" for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good News new
      #4715 - 03/31/03 08:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Good for you!!! You should really be proud - it is HARD to tell people you have IBS when you're not used to doing so. But it's really funny how often the person you tell either has it themself or knows someone close who does.

Hope you're giving yourself a big pat on the back for being brave. And I know your co-worker is glad you spoke up because you really helped her feel better too.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4741 - 04/01/03 02:10 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Mags,
Its great you have somebody you can talk to personally about IBS. I thought it was amazing when i found out my chemistry teacher had it. I was absent from school one day and she asked me why. i told her i was going for an endoscopy, and she was like I had that done! lol. after that, we went on a half hour discussion about our IBS. She has ibs-d too, but its because she had her gallbladder out,(which i dont) it was funny though, because she didnt hold anything back from her and was telling me her funny ibs stories.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4745 - 04/01/03 03:34 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks! That makes me feel even better!

#4746 - 04/01/03 03:44 AM
*Melissa*

I know! It was so neat to talk to someone about it. It was kind of like when I first found this board. All those people, just like me! Although she's not officially diagnosed yet, I think she's either C or A from what she was telling me, and I'm D. But we still had a lot of the same things going on. Apparently, she's had it since she was a kid! (She's 29 just like me. We actually went to school together & now we work together too.) I hope her dr. appt went okay. I told her to write everything down she wants to ask before she goes.

#4754 - 04/01/03 06:16 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That's so great Mags. I understand your sometimes heading home to use the washroom. When I was in sales - I drove around all day so rather than going back to the office if I wasn't feeling well I was able to head home and stay there till I felt better. I think it is calming to know you will be able to go to the washroom in your own home. I find I try to get "finished" as quickly as I can at work because you don't want anyone to wonder what you are doing in there.

The funny thing is I never put a second thought to it when someone is in the washroom for a long time.....why do we think everyone is wondering what we are doing LOL.

I am happy you have someone to talk to about IBS as well. Although you have all of us - it is so nice to be able to talk to someone in person, especially a co worker is extra great.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#4768 - 04/01/03 09:58 AM
*Melissa*

I know exactly what you mean about the others wondering what we are doing. LOL I could care less if someone else was in there & for how long! (As long as there's still an open toilet & you don't have to run to the men's room! hehe)

My coworker said her appt. went well & the doc thinks she has IBS & told her to start on fiber supplements. He wants her to go to the GI to get checked also. She is going to get Heather's book(s) tomorrow. I told her if she wants to start out with just one, I thought The First Year was better. I liked that one better to start out with, because of all the info--then you're ready to cook! I told her some about how to start on the supplements in the mean time. I'm going to print out the fiber supplement info to give her today, because she doesn't have a computer.

Thanks to you guys for responding. I have to admit I felt a little self-conscious after I posted that, and your positive responses made me feel better. You guys are the best!

PS: Today was another good morning! That makes 3 days! YAY!!

#4772 - 04/01/03 10:32 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Angela - Ask your chemistry teacher is she has the prescription Questran. This can really help people with diarrhea as a result of gallbladder removal. They're often misdiagnosed with IBS and once they're on Questran they have zero symptoms. She may have IBS as well, but the Questran could still really help her. If she has a computer she can log on to the boards here and post about this and I'll give her links to detailed info.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4850 - 04/01/03 05:58 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I just told my neighbor today... We are both signed up for a Reiki class 20 minutes away and she called to invite me to ride with her. It only makes sense, but I like to drive by myself because I know if I have a severe attack, I can leave if I need to. If I ride with someone else I start to get all preoccupied with "what if I have an attack, and have to stay because the people I rode with are staying..." and that worry is enough to trigger an attack itself. When I drive myself, I feel more in control. LOL - it is great for car trips, my husband hates to drive and I pretty much need to!

Anyways, I had to tell my neighbor that the offer was nice, but that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and need to be able to leave quickly if I have an attack. I think she was confused, and I expect more pressing questions from her when we get to class.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#4855 - 04/01/03 06:20 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

It feels great to let people in on your secret. I used to try be hush hush about my IBS-D. Now I tell everyone who asks to many questions. It started out as an attempt to shut the nosey boss up and a couple male coworkers. I got lucky that my immediate supervisor is my mother-in-law and she suffers from other GI problems similar to IBS. Now we hired another girl in the office and she has IBS-C. So we all 3 discuss our trials often. I told her about Heather's books and this site, but her doc gave her a pretty good plan. It always feels like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders when others know. No more making excuses for not being able to eat or not going out to eat at lunch. I have public restroom phobia my whole life so I understand driving your own car, wanting your own bathroom, and panicking.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6480 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review