All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Good News
      #4704 - 03/31/03 07:38 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi everyone! I have some good news - YES, GOOD NEWS – that I wanted to share. I did something today that I thought I would never be able to do. I confided in a coworker! We started talking & I told her all about my IBS. I almost came close to telling her twice last week. And guess what? She thinks she has it too! I couldn't believe it. She had a dr's appt. today after work (a regular physical) and she was going to bring it up in there. We sat there & talked for about 1 1/2 hrs! (We're really, really slow at work.) I told her all about the Heather books, this board, etc. She had no idea about any of the soluble/insoluble fiber, common triggers, etc. (Remember those days! LOL) Basically, we compared IBS notes.

It felt so good to tell her. I have to admit that sometimes when I know she's in the bathroom, it makes me feel like I have to go (we share the same one with 2 stalls), & then I get all freaked out thinking I have to go—sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. But then, sometimes as soon as she walks out, the feeling like I have to go goes away. I've actually driven home before to go. I only live about 5 min. from work. You would think if I could hold it for 5 min. to get home, I could wait for 5 min. for her to come out. *sigh* I think that maybe by driving home though I get a feeling of some control, because I'm doing something. Who knows...

I really don't know what's wrong with me. I mean, I should just get up & go. That's what the bathroom is there for, right? I don't know. I sometimes think I have a phobia about having a BM when someone else is in there. I've never heard anyone else talking about this, but I do know when I told my doc told about it, he told me this wasn't uncommon, so that made me feel less like a crazy person.

I think a lot of it has to do with I grew up as an only child with just my mom (my little sister wasn't born till I was 20). And I was always painfully shy. Couldn't tell that now could ya! lol I swear if someone told me 5 years ago I'd be discussing my BMs with strangers, coworkers, friends & family, I would have thought they were nuts! This IBS has really brought me out of my "shell" so to speak.

So, basically, the whole point of my story is I told her. I feel better, because I feel like now she knows what's going on, maybe that will ease some of my anxiety at work, especially in the mornings when I usually feel unstable. (Although Friday & today I felt better than usual...I think I may be onto something! I'm keeping my fingers crossed!) Not only did I tell her about the IBS, I told her about the freaking out when she goes in there, and she told me to just come on in and go, because she knows exactly what it's like. And, not only that, she feels like everyone knows she keeps going in there (me included--the bathroom is right around the corner from my desk), and so now she feels better that I don't think she's weird cause she's always going! Good grief! We're both nuts! LOL Anyway, she also feels better too, because someone else knows what she was going through. I have to say, she is the first person I've ever talked to in person that had IBS also (or at least thinks she does). I gave her a lot of info & gave her the info on Heather's books. She couldn't wait to go to the doctor with all her new info! I guess you could say we bonded! LOL

Well, I hope no one thinks I'm too weird now. But, I do believe that talking to her today & sharing it now is another step in the road to my recovery. And, not only did I help myself, I helped her too!

Thanks for listening…

Oh, and I really do have the IBS, not just the "phobia". It's just another fun "side effect" for me.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Good News new
      #4715 - 03/31/03 08:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Good for you!!! You should really be proud - it is HARD to tell people you have IBS when you're not used to doing so. But it's really funny how often the person you tell either has it themself or knows someone close who does.

Hope you're giving yourself a big pat on the back for being brave. And I know your co-worker is glad you spoke up because you really helped her feel better too.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4741 - 04/01/03 02:10 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

Mags,
Its great you have somebody you can talk to personally about IBS. I thought it was amazing when i found out my chemistry teacher had it. I was absent from school one day and she asked me why. i told her i was going for an endoscopy, and she was like I had that done! lol. after that, we went on a half hour discussion about our IBS. She has ibs-d too, but its because she had her gallbladder out,(which i dont) it was funny though, because she didnt hold anything back from her and was telling me her funny ibs stories.

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#4745 - 04/01/03 03:34 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks! That makes me feel even better!

#4746 - 04/01/03 03:44 AM
*Melissa*

I know! It was so neat to talk to someone about it. It was kind of like when I first found this board. All those people, just like me! Although she's not officially diagnosed yet, I think she's either C or A from what she was telling me, and I'm D. But we still had a lot of the same things going on. Apparently, she's had it since she was a kid! (She's 29 just like me. We actually went to school together & now we work together too.) I hope her dr. appt went okay. I told her to write everything down she wants to ask before she goes.

#4754 - 04/01/03 06:16 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That's so great Mags. I understand your sometimes heading home to use the washroom. When I was in sales - I drove around all day so rather than going back to the office if I wasn't feeling well I was able to head home and stay there till I felt better. I think it is calming to know you will be able to go to the washroom in your own home. I find I try to get "finished" as quickly as I can at work because you don't want anyone to wonder what you are doing in there.

The funny thing is I never put a second thought to it when someone is in the washroom for a long time.....why do we think everyone is wondering what we are doing LOL.

I am happy you have someone to talk to about IBS as well. Although you have all of us - it is so nice to be able to talk to someone in person, especially a co worker is extra great.

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#4768 - 04/01/03 09:58 AM
*Melissa*

I know exactly what you mean about the others wondering what we are doing. LOL I could care less if someone else was in there & for how long! (As long as there's still an open toilet & you don't have to run to the men's room! hehe)

My coworker said her appt. went well & the doc thinks she has IBS & told her to start on fiber supplements. He wants her to go to the GI to get checked also. She is going to get Heather's book(s) tomorrow. I told her if she wants to start out with just one, I thought The First Year was better. I liked that one better to start out with, because of all the info--then you're ready to cook! I told her some about how to start on the supplements in the mean time. I'm going to print out the fiber supplement info to give her today, because she doesn't have a computer.

Thanks to you guys for responding. I have to admit I felt a little self-conscious after I posted that, and your positive responses made me feel better. You guys are the best!

PS: Today was another good morning! That makes 3 days! YAY!!

#4772 - 04/01/03 10:32 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Angela - Ask your chemistry teacher is she has the prescription Questran. This can really help people with diarrhea as a result of gallbladder removal. They're often misdiagnosed with IBS and once they're on Questran they have zero symptoms. She may have IBS as well, but the Questran could still really help her. If she has a computer she can log on to the boards here and post about this and I'll give her links to detailed info.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4850 - 04/01/03 05:58 PM
H2

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Ohio

I just told my neighbor today... We are both signed up for a Reiki class 20 minutes away and she called to invite me to ride with her. It only makes sense, but I like to drive by myself because I know if I have a severe attack, I can leave if I need to. If I ride with someone else I start to get all preoccupied with "what if I have an attack, and have to stay because the people I rode with are staying..." and that worry is enough to trigger an attack itself. When I drive myself, I feel more in control. LOL - it is great for car trips, my husband hates to drive and I pretty much need to!

Anyways, I had to tell my neighbor that the offer was nice, but that I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome and need to be able to leave quickly if I have an attack. I think she was confused, and I expect more pressing questions from her when we get to class.

--------------------
-h2
"Soluble fiber not included."

#4855 - 04/01/03 06:20 PM
Laurie

Loc: Houston, TX

It feels great to let people in on your secret. I used to try be hush hush about my IBS-D. Now I tell everyone who asks to many questions. It started out as an attempt to shut the nosey boss up and a couple male coworkers. I got lucky that my immediate supervisor is my mother-in-law and she suffers from other GI problems similar to IBS. Now we hired another girl in the office and she has IBS-C. So we all 3 discuss our trials often. I told her about Heather's books and this site, but her doc gave her a pretty good plan. It always feels like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders when others know. No more making excuses for not being able to eat or not going out to eat at lunch. I have public restroom phobia my whole life so I understand driving your own car, wanting your own bathroom, and panicking.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

#4918 - 04/02/03 10:39 AM
*Melissa*

I wish my boyfriend didn't mind me driving. He can't stand getting in my car. He calls it the sardine can! LOL And I don't like driving his truck. But, I do feel more in control when I'm driving.

Good luck with your neighbor. Let us know how you make out.

Mags

PS: What's Reiki class?

#4919 - 04/02/03 10:50 AM
*Melissa*

At least your supervisor knows. My boss doesn't know. But, I'm lucky that if I tell him I'm not feeling well, he lets me go. I thought about telling him, but it's just kind of a strange situation. (It's a long story!) I asked my boyfriend what he thought about me telling my boss (he knows him also) & he didn't think I should. I just feel guilty leaving sometimes so I thought I should let him know, but I've never had a problem having to leave. One time it was during a very important day, and he didn't even mind then. Luckily, it's not that often. The last time I had to leave was back in Jan., and I can't remember the time before that. Maybe last summer? I try to suffer it out at work if I can so I can save it for if I REALLY have to leave.

But it does feel good letting people know. For a few years, the only people that knew was my mom, my boyfriend, & my best friend. I just told my dad in December. I'm gradually telling more people. It's hard, but I think it gets a little easier each time.

#4945 - 04/02/03 02:23 PM
Laurie

I leave a little early often because there is a stretch on my ride home with NOWHERE to stop and it can send me into a panic when I'm flaring up. Yes I am lucky that she knows. The owner of our company another V.P. knows, as well as most of my coworkers. I tried the whole I can't eat that because I have food allergies and excuses but for some reason that just got more questions. I find when you tell people you have IBS-D they tend to shut up, ask good questions, have it themselves, or know someone who has it. Mine is often triggered by my anxiety so one Saturday my neice needed someone to take her to her softball tournament. It was me and only me as her option, so my sister asked if she could tell the team mom and another mom incase I had to disappear. I did OK that day and I think it's because there wasn't so much stress to not have a problem. I don't tell everyone though, and some people still don't get it when I do tell them.

--------------------
Laurie

#4947 - 04/02/03 02:25 PM
Laurie

The only thing I hate about driving is when I'm having cramps and urgency and trying to drive. I own a car with a stick and sometimes it gets kinda hard when there is a problem. Usually though I'm ok if hubby, my mom, or sis drive because I tell them I got to go NOW and they punch it or they leave then. I tell my Mom it is starting and she's out the door before me.

--------------------
Laurie

#4949 - 04/02/03 03:36 PM
*Melissa*

I own a car with a stick also, but it's never gotten in the way for me. I'd rather be the one driving, because I feel like I'm doing SOMETHING. But I always manage to get stuck behind someone that's got to drive 10 miles below the speed limit or something. Not to mention catch EVERY stinking red light. And we've got way too many of those in NJ!

#4959 - 04/02/03 05:01 PM
H2

Reiki is an eastern relaxation practice, and some people claim it has healing powers as well. I am a natural skeptic and just went to the introduction class on a whim. The instructor did a demonstration on me, and then asked if I was having trouble in my lower abdominal area, and I hadn't even said that I was sick at all!

So, I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes. It is Thursday nights and goes for 3 weeks.

--------------------
-h2

#4960 - 04/02/03 05:15 PM
*Melissa*

Neat! Definitely let me know how it goes!

#4981 - 04/03/03 06:58 AM
Lana_Marie

I always drive too - it seems to take your mind off of it - whereas if someone else is driving you work yourself up more because you are thinking STEP ON IT!!!!!!

Nothing worse than trying to get home in time for an attack! Once I was on the road about 3 hours from home and a gas station about every hour away....and I was needing one about every 15 minutes down the higway...so at one stop I bought a package of toilet paper and told myself that way I can go anytime I need to. Amazingly - I never had to go again! I think it's because I just knew I could!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#4988 - 04/03/03 08:50 AM
H2

I usually travel with a roll in the back myself. Haven't needed to use it yet, but I like having it around just in case.

It embarrassed my husband when we had guests in the car with us, but one of the travelers said he does the same thing because tp is cheaper than kleenex.

--------------------
-h2

Driving new
      #5070 - 04/03/03 09:13 PM
jrs

Reged: 03/31/03
Loc: Aberystwyth, Wales

Sort of funny about the driving -- I'm the exact opposite. I actually prefer to have other people drive, I assume it has something to do with the stress of trying to weave in and out of traffic. When I'm not I can just chill out in the passenger seat until we get to where we're going.

Still don't like longish trips (1+ hrs) though, especially if I don't know where I'm going. I'm working on it though...

Re: Good News-H2 new
      #5303 - 04/07/03 10:05 AM
*Melissa*

Hi! Was last week your first class? If so, how did it go? I was wondering how you made out.

Mags

#5304 - 04/07/03 10:28 AM
H2

Mags,

Thanks for asking! The first class was last Thursday and it went pretty well. I was concerned at first because many members of our small class were able to sense or feel the reiki energy, but I didn't feel anything. I have a hard time believing in anything I can't see or sense, so I stayed after to talk to the instructor. He told me it was perfectly normal not to feel anything at first, and that as I use it I will become more attuned to it.

I just have to keep faith and keep practicing. He did help my abdominal pain, and was able to stop another woman's asthma during the class.

I have noticed as I'm practicing that my hands tend to heat up quite a bit, I am taking that as a sign of progress!

--------------------
-h2

#5335 - 04/07/03 02:57 PM
*Melissa*

Wow! That's so cool! How long does one class take? You only have 2 more, right? How did you even find out about the class? Sorry about all the questions...that stuff just fascinates me.

#5338 - 04/07/03 03:18 PM
H2

It was the weirdest thing - I have been getting a flyer every few months from the health food store. Most of the time I don't even open it, it goes straight to the recycle bin. This time I did open it, and it had a listing of classes... astrology, yoga, etc. I saw the Reiki was for healing and had a free introduction, so I thought, what the heck, might as well try.

This instructor has Reiki 1 set up as three 3-hour classes, although he said the last class will be short. Where are you located? I can ask the instructor on Thursday if he knows of any resources in your area...

--------------------
-h2

Re: Good News - Stinky the dog... new
      #5347 - 04/07/03 04:40 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Laurie - when I was a kid, a long, long time ago, we had a little Welsh Corgi named Stinky. Her real name was Beauty, but, you can guess why she got her nickname!!!

I also share the bathroom phobia with you and Mags. I don't mind going "#1", but feel funny about "#2". But, if you think about it, nobody knows who you are because there are doors on the stalls. So, unless the other person has a shoe fetish and looks at shoes of his/her coworkers, they won't know who you are...right!? It works better in a public rest room, like the movies, etc.!!!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#5350 - 04/07/03 04:49 PM
SharonMello

Mags - whenever I mention IBS to anyone, they don't know what it is. I try to explain and when someone tells me they can't eat this or that because of this or that, I think they have IBS but are in denial and don't even know it. My sister-in-law told me that she can't eat eggplant parmesan because the seeds give her D, but yet she eats fried eggplant and that doesn't bother her...WHAT???? She didn't want to listen to what I was telling her about IBS and kept reading the newspaper. Oh, well...

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#5352 - 04/07/03 04:52 PM
SharonMello

Mags - You mean you didn't look it up on the internet???
Sassy Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#5353 - 04/07/03 05:00 PM
SharonMello

Angela - I had my gall bladder out about 4 years ago and I'm C!! Guess it all depends, doesn't it??

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#5372 - 04/07/03 06:53 PM
*Melissa*

Hardy har har, smart aleck! LOL

I thought about it, but I don't know why I didn't. Just lazy that day I guess....

#5376 - 04/07/03 07:06 PM
*Melissa*

Thank you, thank you! That would be great. I'm in NJ, in Delran (around Cherry Hill/Philly area). I have to admit, I don't even know how to find a yoga class in my area. I don't know if they are at the gym (I did a gym once a long time ago--don't do them anymore!) or you just kind of look it up in the phone book. I don't know anyone else who does it. Are the Reiki classes expensive?

Hey, I checked out your website earlier (from your picture post). It's really cool! I loved the part about the cat blocking your monitor! LOL I didn't know you designed web pages. I started doing a little on my own recently--nothing major, just our rinky dink intranet at work. My boyfriend & my friend keep trying to talk me into going to school for it. Who know if I'll ever be able to do that....maybe one day.

#5380 - 04/07/03 07:38 PM
H2

Thanks, I will ask the instructor if there is some sort of national Reiki directory or something. This instructor is charging $99 for the class, although I am sure it varies. He is renting room space from the health food store so I am sure that factors in. Also, I am sure you can get treatments for much cheaper than taking the class.

I'm glad you liked my webpage. I'm finishing school for graphic design and have been doing freelance webpages and print work to earn money. I think it's fun - my other site is www.webdesignwhore.com - born one very cynical evening. I haven't updated it in forever, I am waiting till I am done with school to pick that hobby back up. Do you have anything online?

--------------------
-h2

#5385 - 04/07/03 08:02 PM
Lana_Marie

Hi Mags and H2 - I am sorry to butt in on your convo but I just wanted to say that maybe you could go to a gym for your classes.

I know here there are yoga classes at a gym, but they have them in a seperate room than a gym (which is alot more motivating for me LOL)
And I think they would be alot cheaper than these classes.

Sorry I am not familiar with Reiki classes so maybe I am totally off base here in comparing the two.

Just my two cents
A penny after income tax!

Lana_Marie

--------------------
Lana_Marie

#5405 - 04/08/03 04:03 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks so much for checking for me! You can go get treatments also? Are you going to start giving treatments after your classes...is that going to be one of your other talents listed on your page next? LOL

I love your other site! LOL I didn't really get a chance to look too much, but I'm definitely going to read more later! You really sell mugs & shirts? I don't have anything online. And if I did, it is nowhere near as good as your stuff! Like I said, I just do some little intranet thing at work, and it's pretty simple. I just tried playing with scripts about a month ago & that was a big deal! Everything I know, I've learned on my own playing around in Front Page. But, I do have fun with it. That's why they keep telling me to go to school for it, to really learn it. I didn't realize you were still going to school for it. How long did it take you?

#5406 - 04/08/03 04:09 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks Lana Marie - butt in, butt in! I love your two cents!

I'm just learning about the Reiki classes myself. H2 is taking them, and they seem really neat. Well, to me anyway! I don't think they are anything like yoga...I was just saying I couldn't even figure out how to find a yoga class, which I've heard of, let alone a Reiki class. Sorry if I confused you...sometimes I'm contagious I guess. LOL

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3197 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6720

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review