All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather - peppermint caps, acacia and teas OK for children?
      #46682 - 02/26/04 08:26 AM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

HI Heather

I was sharing some of your info with a friend and discovered that her 7 year old has painful, painful constipation. She is under a doctor's care and was prescribed a stool softener. I told the mom to ask if they could be referred to a gastroenterologist to determine if the child has IBS.

Just wondering, all the supplements you recommend, specifically the peppermint caps, acacia and peppermint and fennel teas, are these OK for young children? Is it OK to use supplements even though the child has not formally been diagnosed with IBS?

Just hate to see this child in pain.

Thanks, Janet

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather - peppermint caps, acacia and teas OK for children? new
      #46766 - 02/26/04 03:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - yes, they're all safe for children. Peppermint caps have actually been studied in children with IBS in clinical trials. Check the research library under the herb section (it's a forum here on the boards) for the trial info. Fennel has actually been used for infants with colic. The Acacia you'd just have to check the dose because children have a lower daily dietary fiber requirement than adults. But Acacia is just soluble fiber, and all soluble fibers are safe for children.

If the child hasn't been formally diagnosed with IBS, I'd wait for that, as there may be another motility problem in play. If that's the case the herbs may still help (and certainly shouldn't hurt) but the fiber might not make a difference.

For the pain, the best bet is peppermint. If she does have IBS, the Acacia should help the most with the constipation. And I'd also have her look into the IBS hypnotherapy program, as that tends to work even better for children, who are just more receptive subjects in most cases.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Heather - peppermint caps, acacia and teas OK for children? new
      #46771 - 02/26/04 03:32 PM
pescado

Reged: 02/19/04

Heather

Thank you for your quick and thorough reply. I will relay the info to my friend.

Janet

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2495 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 477

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review