All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Miracle Help For Me
      #46603 - 02/25/04 04:03 PM
LucyM

Reged: 02/25/04

I just wanted to share what has been a God send for me in helping control my IBS and I hope some of you will try it also.

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with IBS with diarrhea. I usually experienced between 1 and 12 attacks of diarrhea and cramping a day and occassionally was given a reprieve for a couple of days to a couple of weeks. I was also taking Pamine at the same time but found little relief from it. So needless to say, I know where every bathroom is located in South Florida.

A friend at work gave me an article from the paper about IBS and peppermint oil. I thought what did I have to lose, nothing else was working. So I purchased a bottle of enteric peppermint capsules from the health food store and starting taking them. There was a difference immediately. I have been taking one capsule every morning after breakfast for two months and I can honestly say I have not had an attack since. The cramping is completely gone!! I still have occassion urgent diarrhea after I eat but I feel just so "normal" again. Sure I expereince some heartburn, burp peppermint all day, and have a few BM's that are "minty fresh" but what the heck. I pray everyday that it continues to work and control my IBS. I am hoping that my positive expereince with peppermint oil can help someone else out there. Go buy a bottle!! It may not help but what do you have to lose??

I'll be very interested in hearing from people that have tried it or do try it and their results. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: the end of D!!!!!! new
      #46606 - 02/25/04 04:21 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

I'm so glad you found something that works! I had severe D for about 10 years (no exagerration) with frequent (and embarassing) urgency. A few months ago I started the peppermint caps, and they worked great! Unfortunately, as I got better, they started giving bad heartburn, so I had to stop. But since then I've upped my dose of fiber (I take psyllium, two teaspoons three times a day) and am following the IBS diet, and am ESCTATIC to report that I haven't had any D in two weeks! In fact. I'm beginning to go too far the other way (a little C) so I'll have to introduce more insoluble fiber until I find the right balance. I am sooooooo happy!
So, if you're not using a fiber supplement, try one and it might make the peppermint caps (and heartburn)unecessary? Who knows???

Laura

Re: Miracle Help For Me new
      #46620 - 02/25/04 06:04 PM
joner316

Reged: 02/09/04

I just ordered coated peppermint tabs. I have read some vere encouraging information about this helping. Supposedly, the peppermint reduces the contractions in the colon. The enteric coating preserves the peppermint so that it can reach the bowel rather than be absorbed through the stomach. I'll let you know if it works as well for me. I have to take a long flight in a few weeks and am already not looking forward to being 'trapped' in the plane with limited facilities.

#46623 - 02/25/04 06:07 PM
joner316

Reged: 02/09/04

I have been worried that taking metamucil or other fiber supplement would increase the D. Have you had the opposite reaction? If so, what brands have worked?
Thanks for the help.
Joner

#46625 - 02/25/04 06:25 PM
LauraS

Reged: 01/26/04

I had the same fears as you, and refused to even try a fiber supplement for years and years because taking fiber seemed so illogical. I have to say it has done the exact opposite of what I thought it would do, it has made my bowel movements a normal consistency and very regular (predicatble, even). I take just plain old psyllium from the health food store (I think Metamucil is psyllium, but processed), although many of the posts I read here say that it causes alot of gas pain for some people. I started out VERY SLOWLY (1/4 tsp twice a day) and have worked up to 2 tsp three times a day. I've experienced some gas when increasing the dosage, but now that I am used to it if I have a few cups of lemon balm tea a day I have almost no gas at all. It took two months for me to increase the dosage to what I am taking now.
Why does it work? Somehow the presence of more bulk prevents the bowel from spasming, thus eliminating D. (There's a description here: http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/sol_fiber1.asp). I don't fully understand, but I am living proof that it does work. Give it a try and see what happens! Good Luck!

Laura

Edited by Heather (02/25/04 07:56 PM)

Peppermint caps and soluble fiber supplements... new
      #46633 - 02/25/04 08:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

both of these can definitely help IBS tremendously. There's detailed info about how they work here Enteric Coated Peppermint Caps and here Dosages for soluble fiber supplements and here How soluble fiber supplements work for IBS

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1225

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review