All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Any help would be welcome
      #45899 - 02/20/04 01:10 PM
lonewolf

Reged: 10/09/03

I have only posted here once before, but I have spent many hours reading posts and using the search option. I was diagnosed with IBS-d in July of 2003, shortly after I bought heathers books and spent countless hours on the internet trying to find answers to my questions. My problem, although I sure not unique has eluded resolution thus far. In July after blood tests, stool tests, and a CT Scan with Contrast, my doctor diagnosed me with IBS along with having a fatty liver. At the time I weighed 345, well I began fiber therapy (citrucel) along with acidophilus, I followed the IBS diet. However no matter what I tried I still had problems with diarrhea. I have also tried the normal anti-d's and anit-spasmodics including (pepto, immodium, keopectate, hyocosamine, lomotil) All of which caused more painful diarrhea. By November my weight had plummeted to 270 and now I am currently at 245. I am 5'8'' with broad shoulders and a linesman build, even at my most fit I have never been below 230, which is quickly approaching. In November I stopped taking fiber as it wasn't helping. I then tried cutting out wheat and I noticed a little less diarrhea. I tend to have flatulence quite often, I have tried peppermint, chamomile, and fennel to no avail. My flatulence tends to be very painful, with a burning sensation similar to what I feel with my movements. I occasionally have good days but it is very rare. I haven't worked since July of 2003, I stay mostly home although some days I venture out but rarley do I go far. I am only 24 years old, my wife and I used to love going for long drives, I miss those days. I am at my wits end in the fight, any help would be welcome.

Thanks in advance, Lonewolf (24/m)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Any help would be welcome new
      #45908 - 02/20/04 01:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - I'd call your doctor's office, have them pull your charts, and make sure that they've ruled out everything that can mimic IBS, especially inflammatory bowel diseases, gallbladder problems, and most especially celiac. There's full info about all this here IBS Glossary

I'd also try a plain soluble fiber supplement. It may have been something else in the Citrucel (like citric acid) that was bothering you. Try Acacia or Benefiber. There's no way that soluble fiber should make diarrhea worse - if it does, this would definitely point to some other underlying problem that's not IBS. How do you do on plain soluble fiber foods like white rice? Did you try Breaking the Cycle?

Hope you're feeling better soon. Please keep us posted.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

I have been thinking about finding a new doctor new
      #45926 - 02/20/04 03:48 PM
lonewolf

Reged: 10/09/03

After being on Citrucel for awhile, I did try Benefiber, by far that was the most painful experience with fiber. I did press my Doc about IBD and she may it very clear that there were no signs of inflammation in the colon. The next part is kind of gross but lately when I do have a movement, it is very pale, floaty and extremely overpowering....ewwwwww. I did some self experimentation and cut out almost all extra sources of fat to see what would happen, and I actually normalized my movements butI quickly returned to my standard diet as I was getting weak from my low intake. Prior to going to this Doctor I did see another Doctor I think I will try to get into see him. This condition has taken alot out of me, my doctor put me on Prozac one a day in December because I have been suffering from depression and anxiety from being in doors all the time as I used to be a very outgoing person. She (my Doc) thinks it is all related to anxiety as I have had a rough couple of years with some intense life changing events. When I first started having problems Immodium worked wonderfully, however within a couple of months it began to fail me. that is when I innitially went to the Doc. I can't afford any specialty tests as I am out of work and my wifes job doesn't offer her any health benefits. When I had the CT Scan done last year, along with the other tests previously mentioned, I practically maxed out our credit cards. One final note, when I cut out my grains my stomach shrank and alot of my bloating went away so I have stayed clear of those grains ever since. Rice is hard for me to handle as well. Thank you for replying so promptly,I believe I will get in to see my old Doc very soon.

Lonewolf

Hope you're feeling better soon. new
      #45928 - 02/20/04 04:04 PM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

It made me sad to hear your story. You're so young! Hang in there and don't give up. Try the help available on this site. I don't have insurance either, and I know what it's like to need care and not be able to get it. That in itself is very depressing! Do you have any clinics near you that help people without insurance? You might call SRS and ask them about something like that. I live in a small, rural town and we have nothing like that close, but the bigger cities usually do! Try Heather's advice. Her breaking the cycle diet is amazing. Try it and see if it works for you. It's inexpensive, too. I hope you are better soon.
Terri

Re: I have been thinking about finding a new doctor new
      #45941 - 02/20/04 05:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the pale, floating stool are not symptomatic of IBS at all and really point to some other problem. Celiac, IBD, or something else is going on here. Make absolutely sure that they've checked you for celiac. And have you had a colonoscopy? That's what you need to really look for IBD. I also think the liver problem you've got is playing a large role here, and may be behind all your symptoms. Have they checked your gallbladder?

You might check celiac.com and start investigating going gluten-free. See how you do with this until you can afford to get into a doc, but definitely do get yourself into see one as I don't think you've got IBS (or at least "just" IBS) going on. And I'm worried about what might be happening with your liver/gallbladder.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3952 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 761

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review