All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
soluble fiber list in rank order?
      #45873 - 02/20/04 10:13 AM
martymidlife

Reged: 02/16/04

Does anyone know the absolutely safest sources of nutrition in order to reduce or eliminate the pain?

Is the entire "Soluble Fiber Foods" list in rank order from most helpful / least irritating (at preventing colon spasms) -- down to the more irritating? In other words, for example, are bananas or mangoes more irritating than squash or carrots?

And, does cooking and/or blending help?

Heather mentions that "the grain and cereal foods at the top of the list make the safest, easiest, and most versatile soluble fiber foundations . . . ."

But right now, in order to get rid of the pain, I just want to eat the very safest foods, whether they're easy or versatile or not.

If possible, I'd like to include include soy or egg whites and veges as much as possible for protein and nutrients. Then I'd work up to a more complete diet for the long term.

Does anyone know the absolutely safest sources of nutrition in order to reduce or eliminate the pain?

I have "slow colon" with spasms, which I guess must be IBS-C.

--martymidlife

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: soluble fiber list in rank order? new
      #45902 - 02/20/04 01:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the list is not any type of order of safety, it's just a list of all your soluble fiber food choices.

For the really safest diet for a few days, try the breaking the cycle info here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle

White rice is almost always a super safe option. Cream of rice cereal and rice noodles would work too. Plain white bread (fresh baked, no ingredients but water, flour, yeast, salt) is another good bet.

Stick to just the soluble fiber foods for a few days. Then add in the egg whites and soy for protein. If you're not used to soy, start gradually and increase slowly to give your gut time to get used to digesting raffinose (bean sugar).

Cooking and mashing makes insoluble fiber more tolerable. It doesn't really apply to most of the soluble fiber foods, though root veggies are the obvious exception here.

Definitely add in a soluble fiber supplement, and increase that gradually to the highest dose you can. And add in strong hot peppermint or fennel tea - they'll both help with the spasms tremendously. Peppermint capsules can help prevent spasms as well. There's both herbal and soluble fiber supplement info here web page

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you so much, Heather. (nt) new
      #46004 - 02/21/04 04:50 PM
martymidlife

Reged: 02/16/04

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3285 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 498

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review