All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fat Flush Plan, losing weight, and IBS
      #45832 - 02/20/04 04:56 AM
Lili

Reged: 02/20/04

Hi -- a newbie here. I'm 42, and was diagnosed with IBS at 10. I've been under alot of stress, and started having bad cramping/pain last november. My doctor assured me it was nothing more than my IBS acting up, and prescribed Levsin (which I've been afraid to use).

Meanwhile, my weight has been creeping up, so I started the Fat Flush plan in January. Tons of insoluble fiber, eggs, beef, no sugars, or insoluble fibers. Plus 2 tblsp of flax oil a day.

Needless to say, I've developed nearly incapacitating cramps and pain! I initially lost some weight, but now have reached a plateau.

I desparately want to lose 20 more lbs., but am in agony, wishing I had a Vicodin or some other serious pain medication. My question: can you still lose weight while eating IBS friendly foods? In theory I understand the Fat Flush principles, but after reading this site, I now understand how it mightnot be for me!

I'm so confused, I want to do the most healthy thing formy body. Any advice? And -- does Levsin cause drowsyness for most people, like some drug sites warn?

Thanks so much.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fat Flush Plan, losing weight, and IBS new
      #45833 - 02/20/04 05:28 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Wow, this diet is definetly not IBS safe...how could you handle it??? I do not have a weight problem myself, however I have read alot of people here who have lost weight on this IBS diet. You need this soluble fibre base (rice, potatoes....) to feel good. By following the IBS diet, eating small meals throughout the day, and especially EXERCISING (must be active in some form), then the weight should come off and stabilise.

I have not heard of Levsin, but I would say some here have tried it and can let you know about it....

This diet is very healthy, as it allows you to incorporate insoluble fibre as well, lots of fruits and veggies. Hope you feel better soon

#45835 - 02/20/04 06:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hey, there! You really sound like you need to change your diet. Heather's diet is very healthy and low in fat. I lost a little bit of weight just by changing to it. But the key is exercise - something I'm struggling to do enough of atm (and I need to lose a stone!).

Welcome, Lili! new
      #45841 - 02/20/04 06:41 AM
MissS

Reged: 02/11/04

Lili,
I am fairly new here, too. Heather has a list at this link
(http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp), that gives you a list of foods to eat when you can't eat anything else. It really did help me so much, and might be a good place to start. My pain subsided and my intestines calmed down by eating items from that list. I am overweight, too, and I've lost 10 pounds already on her diet. I'm never hungry either and I wasn't even trying to lose weight. It just happened. I think that following Heather's suggestions on this site and asking questions as you need (the people here are so helpful!); would be a good start. It sure was for me (and still is)! I don't know anything about Levsin either, but you can call a Pharmacist and ask them anything about it. They've always thoroughly answered my questions! I hope you get to feeling better soon. Keep us posted!
P.S. Something else I learned on this site, is that if you aren't satisfied with your Doctor's diagnosis, then insist on testing to make sure!! Everyone here tells you that testing is essential. I'm learning this one for the first time myself, and I'm 49! (I think the older I get, the less I know!) Hope this helps a little!

#45844 - 02/20/04 07:19 AM
fressy

Reged: 02/11/04
Loc: MO

I too have lost weight on this diet. Alot of the "weight" ,though, was just having my stomach stop swelling from all of the wrong food I was eating. I have been prescribed Levsin and I stopped taking it because I was -always- so tired. I have been on Levbid and Zelnorm also and had the same problem. I was getting to where I was taking almost 2 naps a day! I only take it when I am in an extreme emergancy and ever since I have changed my eating I haven't needed any percription drugs. Hope that helps and i hope you get to feeling better:)

#45910 - 02/20/04 01:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Welcome Lili! First of all, your doc needs to run some tests. Anytime you suddenly have new and alarming GI symptoms, whether you have an IBS diagnosis or not, you need to make sure that nothing new has come up. This is especially true given your age. I'd raise the possibility of having a colonscopy as well as other tests, and if your doc dismisses you get a second opinion.

Second of all, please stop the fat flush diet. It sounds extremely unhealthy, and there's no way that any short term weight loss from this will be maintained. You should certainly be able to eat safely for IBS and still lose weight, and stay healthy overall at the same time. Check here for info web page

My guess is that changing your diet will make you immediately feel better, but I'd still like to know that you've been re-evaluated by a doc and that there is nothing new going on here but a change in IBS symptoms.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1432

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review