All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gas pains
      #45813 - 02/19/04 08:21 PM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

Hi everyone,

A couple nights ago I thought I'd try and eat some oatmeal after not having done so for years. I took maybe 3 spoonfuls and stopped.

Well, the next day (yesterday) and today I have been so bloated and gassy, way more than usual. I am assuming it is from the oatmeal but I thought it would be gone by now.

Does anyone know how long this may last? I have been continually uncomfortable these past couple of days. Today, I was so uncomfortable that I have only taken a few bites of food afraid that my stomach will hurt more.

On another similar question, is every one else here bloated a lot and belch a lot? Sometimes the only thing that will make my stomach feel better is to just belch. My boyfriend doesn't think that's very feminine, but I told him that I feel much better afterwards. Is this normal for someone with IBS?

Thank you!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gas pains new
      #45815 - 02/19/04 08:33 PM
rosiechica

Reged: 08/22/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I also belch a lot. It really does help sometimes. I feel bad, but I just try to do it when i'm by myself to spare my roommates.

#45826 - 02/19/04 10:20 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

There have been quite a few people on this board who find oatmeal gives them problems. I tolerate it fine but I know others sometimes don't. Maybe it's one to steer clear of for you or else leave it a while and try again incase it was a one off.

Being bloated is a "normal" symptom of IBS. I find it is the one symptom that I can not eradicate no matter how hard I try though some days are better than others. I would suggest keeping a food diary to see if any particular things (such as the oatmeal) make you extra bloated and then steer clear of them or only have tiny amounts on a good full stomach.

Hope the gas goes soon!

Kerrie

P.S Who cares if it's not ladylike - let it out! It's much better to do that than be doubled in pain.

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Belching new
      #45856 - 02/20/04 08:34 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

You're probably just making your boyfriend jealous. Maybe you belch better than him?

I always get a round of applause from my guys when I let out a good one, but they're typical young adult guys. LOL

--------------------
- Jennifer

#45858 - 02/20/04 08:51 AM
goffy6604

Reged: 11/25/03
Loc: Maryland

It can be so comical at my house. My rommate as Crohns and I have IBS and sometimes we will be sitting watching TV and both of us going at it Belching. I agree...you must let it out. I just tell people I can't help it. I do try to be more ladylike when I am out in public...but at home look out!! :P My boyfriend always says, "Better north than south." HA!

#45915 - 02/20/04 02:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - yep, this is normal, and you should definitely not try to hold in gas, it will only make things worse.

Try some strong hot fennel tea to get you feeling better (check here fennel tea ) and also try some of yoga poses for bloating and gas. That's in the yoga section of the board, the link is on the left side of the page.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#46041 - 02/21/04 10:50 PM
heavenlee

Reged: 01/13/04

Thanks so much for your help, Heather!

Just wanted to tell you that I tried the yoga poses you mentioned on the site and it was absolutely what I needed! The gas just went right through me and I felt better. I will definitely be doing yoga from now on.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 414 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 831

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review