All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help Please.......Anyone
      #45581 - 02/18/04 04:03 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

I know we have talked about fat content before, and I tried reading the archives and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Was/is has there been a posting about how much fat and IBSer shoud consume in a day and if so, how much per meal per say. If there are 3 meals, 5 small etc. Just so I have an idea. I would really appreciate anyone's help. Also, did anyone ever find out if there is a difference between High Fructose and High Fructose Corn Syrup? Thanks gobs.

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help Please.......Anyone new
      #45583 - 02/18/04 04:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You want each meal to be about 20-25% fat. If you're really struggling to stabilize you can go lower than that for a few days, and if you're stable you could carefully go up to 30% with a good soluble fiber foundation. The number of fat calories will vary here depending on how many total calories you eat.

I don't know what high fructose is - never heard of it. High fructose corn syrup has been processed from regular corn syrup to increase the fructose level, and thus the sweetness.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather, but... new
      #45585 - 02/18/04 04:18 PM
LtDanFan

Does the fat mean 20-25 grams of fat or the percentage of the entire meal? I know someone had once said that so many calories has 1 gram of fat, yet, when I eat rice chex and they have like 110 calories and not fat, I get soooo confused. So do I add my calories and divide by something, or just add up my fat content per serving if I know it? Does this make sense? Like tonight I had tacos, I had baked doritos, the serving size on the bag, which has 3.5gm of fat, and the veggie cheese 1/4 cup has 3 gm of fat, that was all the fat in the meal, the tomatoes dried, special sour cream with not fat. So does that mean this meal had 6.5 gms of fat or 6.5 percent??? So it's the high fructose corn syrup that isn't good for us correct??? Thank you so much for your help

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

high fructose corn syrup new
      #45587 - 02/18/04 04:24 PM
AllieGator

Reged: 01/24/04
Loc: Rockland County, NY

the high fructose corn syrup varies from person to person- some can tolerate it in small amounts, others cant, i know i cant tolerate any at all. corn syrup might be a little easier.

--------------------
If you can do nothing else...smile

Re: Help Please.......Anyone new
      #45588 - 02/18/04 04:30 PM
WLee

Reged: 02/04/04
Loc: Northern California

Fructose is a monosaccharide sugar that naturally occurs in fruits, vegetables, and many other foods....A bit outdated, but extensive:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/Other/herr48.pdf
High Fructose Corn Syrup is a processed Corn Syrup that has been intensively marketed as a sweetener substitute for cane and beet sugar, predominantly in soft drinks, but it is heavily used in all parts of the food processing industry....
http://www.king5.com/health/stories/NW_051303HEKfructose.15ee12ba.html
http://www.mh-18.com/cda/article/0,6916,s1-4-127-0-492-2-2-2,00.html

The University of Iowa's Nutrition Group has a great site and newsletter:
http://www.uihc.uiowa.edu/FRUCTOSE/AboutUs.htm

Fat percentages new
      #45602 - 02/18/04 06:33 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

She meant 20-25% fat: Thus if you have (for example) an item with 3 grams of fat, then you multiply 3 x 9 (as there are 9 calories per 1 gram of fat) and you then get: 27 calories. You divide this by the total amount of calories for that item, if the total calories are 120 (for example), the 27/120= 0.225 OR 22.5% of calories are from fat (then it is within the safe limit for IBS)

Does this help?

Re: Fat percentages new
      #45612 - 02/18/04 07:09 PM
LtDanFan

Thanks mickeymouse, that does help, although it does depress me. That sure doesn't leave a person with a lot to eat in a meal based on the percentage of fat we should eat each meal. This is really getting frustrating now, I thought I was doing well, by just reading the fat content, guess not, now all it seems like I'll be eating is bread and water. Thanks for the info. I think you are the first one that explained it, to where I could understand it.

Cheryl

--------------------

Re: Fat percentages new
      #45619 - 02/18/04 07:59 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You should be able to eat plenty. The percentage of calories from fat (20-25%) is a constant, but the calories in your meal (in other words, the actual amount of food you eat) can vary tremendously. If you're eating the IBS diet, it will be hard to get more than 20-25% of your calories from fat, but you could eat a ton of food. In fact, you could eat far more food than you should, but still be within the safe fat range.

Just think to yourself that no more than 1/4 of your meal calories should come from fat. This doesn't actually put any restrictions at all on how many total calories you eat (common sense should do that though)!

Take a look at the calorie breakdowns for any of the recipes in Eating for IBS. You could have one of the main dishes, one of the soups, one of the breads, AND one of the desserts, and your total fat percentage for all of them COMBINED would still be in that 20-25% range. This would be an enormous meal, by the way, and I'm not recommending this, just showing you that you shouldn't have to restrict how much you eat, you just have to pay attention to HOW you eat.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2130 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1373

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review