All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
What a "crappy" week!!! :(
      #4473 - 03/29/03 01:44 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

I've been eating right, and been doing REALLY well! This week however, has been HORRIBLE!!! And I've been exercising the past 2 days. Yesterday, I went to the YMCA and worked out in the weight room. I peddled on the bikes for a while, and then lifted weights, but not much, b/c I'm trying to tone. After I worked out, (for about 30-40 min), I had to go home, b/c I had a stomach ache!!!! And the day before, I went for a walk with my mom and when I got inside, I had to use the bathroom. Very bad explosive D this week!!!

I know that some days are gonna be bad, no matter what I eat or do. But what can I do to make it better, or help myself? Also, is CHAI good for IBS sufferers?? I love getting Chai blends at the coffee shop instead of coffee.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What a "crappy" week!!! :( new
      #4486 - 03/29/03 05:35 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. I HATE when that happens, especially when you've been doing everything right! At least when you eat something you know you're not supposed to, you know why you feel bad, and that it's you're own fault.

Anyway, did you maybe eat something you weren't supposed to without realizing it? Any stress? Maybe something that wasn't a trigger before now is? Just some thoughts....

What's in the Chai blends? I've never had one. I love Chai tea though, but haven't had any since I got Heather's books because of the caffeine. I did print out her recipe for Chai tea, but haven't gotten around to trying it yet. I don't know if you saw it, but it doesn't have any black tea in it.

Good luck...hope you're feeling better soon!

#4784 - 04/01/03 12:56 PM
Sweetwater

Darn, I thought more ppl would reply, b/c there is another thread by someone else saying that they had a bad day, and there are 6 replies. But hey, thanks for replying anyways.
It's a new week now, and I've regained control over my IBS again. Things are better.

Chai blends, I get them at coffee shops. What they are is iced, like a slurpee of chai tea. It's chai tea blended with ice, I guess, and soy milk. Thats what they put in it, and whatever is in the chai tea. Chai tea isn't a trigger for me, in fact, it makes me feel better.

#4785 - 04/01/03 01:04 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I hear ya! You try to take care of yourself--you follow the rules--and you get burned! Major frustration! I'm really sorry you're going through this--especially when you're doing everything in your power to take control of your situation. Hang in there--it will get better (at least that's what I keep telling myself) Keep us posted and let us know how you're doing. I'm not IBS D so I don't really have any advice for you on what to do to make it better--just the basics: drink tons of water, keep exercising, get lots of rest, etc. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck--feel better!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4787 - 04/01/03 01:06 PM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Sorry to hear you are having a bad week! Sometimes, I feel the same way! I think I am doing good with the diet and get sick anyway, then that stresses me out and I get worse, it's like you can't win! Everyone deals with this differently, and if Chai tea makes you feel better then go for it, however it also may make you feel worse the next week as well, so it's hard to tell sometimes!

I am having a horrible day today as well! My back is horrible (from studying), I am behind in studying, it snowed for the past day and a half, got stuck in the driveway, and I feel like !@#$ grrr! You just can't win sometimes! It helps to talk to people though...

Hope you feel good soon

#4788 - 04/01/03 01:09 PM
Sweetwater

Quote:

I hear ya! You try to take care of yourself--you follow the rules--and you get burned! Major frustration! I'm really sorry you're going through this--especially when you're doing everything in your power to take control of your situation. Hang in there--it will get better (at least that's what I keep telling myself) Keep us posted and let us know how you're doing. I'm not IBS D so I don't really have any advice for you on what to do to make it better--just the basics: drink tons of water, keep exercising, get lots of rest, etc. Sorry I can't be of more help! Good luck--feel better!

Ruchie

Thanks Ruchie! I have IBS-D & C. Some days, I'm constipated, others I'm normal, and others, watch out! LOL So today is April 1st, Tuesday, and I'm feelling really good!!! I feel back to normal today. It's yucky and rainy out, so I can't take a walk, but it's okay.

#4794 - 04/01/03 01:36 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

HI' see if your doctor can prescribe lomotil for you for the D. I used to have it quite bad as well(loose stools,anyway,but often), until I started on lomotil. It works like a charm for me,just one a day. i take it everytime I have the slightest indication of d or loose stools and it really helps gto keep things under control`iteases my mind so I can sleep. As for the rest, all I can tell you is that you are most definitely not alone, and feel free to vengt anytime, this board is the best. Feel better soon.

#4795 - 04/01/03 01:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Chai should be just fine as long as it's with soy or rice milk and not dairy (you'll probably have to make a special request). They are really delicious - I love them! They're usually caffeinated from the black tea, so if caffeine is a trigger be aware of that. And ice cold beverages on an empty stomach can trigger cramps sometimes. But you can also get hot chai, with the milk all frothed, and they're wonderful!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4868 - 04/01/03 08:51 PM
Sweetwater

Quote:

HI' see if your doctor can prescribe lomotil for you for the D. I used to have it quite bad as well(loose stools,anyway,but often), until I started on lomotil. It works like a charm for me,just one a day. i take it everytime I have the slightest indication of d or loose stools and it really helps gto keep things under control`iteases my mind so I can sleep. As for the rest, all I can tell you is that you are most definitely not alone, and feel free to vengt anytime, this board is the best. Feel better soon.

Thanks ppl for replying! Louise, I take Lomotil!!! Thats cool that you take it as well, thought I was the only one. I love that stuff, but I only take it when I'm having a bad day and can't take it anymore. Or when I think I may have a problem later, and I'm going out somewhere, I'll take it.

Hey Heather, I always ask for soy in my chai blends! Caffeine isn't a trigger for me, b/c I can drink coffee most of the time. I gave up soda, it's just too gross. Thanks for replying!

Re: What a "crappy" week!!! :( CHAI?!?! new
      #4884 - 04/02/03 04:57 AM
Snow for Sarala

What is Chai? I've seen Chai tea in the grocery store in the health food aisles...but I was hesitant to try it! Is it sweet/sour? Does it have vitamins in it? Can you make your own? What makes it safe/unsafe (So far I've read the caffeine would make it unsafe for me...). Is it like coffee made from tea? Thanks!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#4898 - 04/02/03 07:10 AM
Stacey_Wikle1

Reged: 02/03/03
Loc: Kentucky

I have just recently started working out in the mornings and every single time I get to the gym and get finished just walking on the tread mill I get severe stomach cramps and usually end up in the bathroom for 30 minutes. I don't know what the relation is, and what causes that. You are suppose to work out to help with IBS, but how do you continue when you get sick every time? Very frustrating. I am also trying to tone up for my wedding in Novemeber, and every morning something (stomach related) prevents me from going to the gym

#4916 - 04/02/03 10:16 AM
*Melissa*

Chai is awesome! It's a spicy tea. I still have a tea bag & the ingredients say: blended black teas, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, clove, & natural flavors of cinnamon, clove & cardamom. I saw some decaf before, but I haven't been able to find it again! Caffeine & I just don't get along.

Heather posted a recipe, but I haven't tried it yet. Here's Heather's if you want to try it: A Hot Drink for a Cold Day - Indian Chai Tea

#4934 - 04/02/03 02:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Just a wild thought here, but are you drinking enough water before you work out? Sometimes stomach cramps during or right after exercise are from dehydration.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#4935 - 04/02/03 02:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yep, you can make your own from spices (I leave out the black tea so I don't get the caffeine). Or you can buy it as a dry blend you brew with hot water. Or you can buy it as a liquid concentrate that you just add to soy or rice milk and heat. Oregon brand is really good. It comes in aseptic boxes like soy milk. I've seen at health food stores and even at Costco! The Oregon brand makes a decaf and a green tea and even a chocolate version - they're all delicious and I've never had any problem with them. I avoid the caffeine because it keeps me awake at night, not because it affects my IBS, so if you have to watch caffeine for your IBS choose the decaf.

Best,
Heather

--------------------

#4939 - 04/02/03 02:14 PM
Laurie

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Houston, TX

Are you getting over heated? If I get overheated when I exercise I have to run to the bathroom. I'm not talking the usually sweaty feeling but pushing yourself to far and not drinking enough water before.

--------------------
Laurie

Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission - Eleanor Roosevelt

Re: Thnx Heather!!! CHAI?!?! -nt- new
      #4941 - 04/02/03 02:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Bengal Spice new
      #4961 - 04/02/03 05:22 PM
*Melissa*

Have you tried Bengal Spice by Celestial Seasonings? I was kind of using it as a chai sub, because it has no caffeine & it's spicy. I love it! I got a couple of coworkers hooked on it too. I have to hide my box now. LOL The ingredients are: cinnamon, roasted chicory root, roasted carob, natural spice & vanilla flavors with other natural flavors, dates, ginger root, cardamom, black pepper, cloves, and nutmeg. An interesting mix, eh? It even says on the side to "add a touch of cream or milk to treat yourself to the traditional serving of Indian spiced tea."

#4969 - 04/02/03 09:46 PM
HeatherAdministrator

This sounds really good - I have to get a box and try it. Thanks for the tip!

- H

--------------------

#5147 - 04/04/03 04:17 PM
Sweetwater

That DOES sound really good!!! I've been drinking LOTS of herbal tea's now! They're more fun for me than coffee. I had Apple Spice herbal tea at a diner yesterday.

Also, I drink water WHILE I work out. I think the reason I felt sick after I worked out, was b/c my body is getting used to working out. And thats why I get cramps and have to hit the can. If your body isn't used to working out, then it may need to adjust. Thats just a guess tho.

I use dry chai mix, that I got at Trader Joe's! I have the Choc. chai mix, and reg. chai mix...yummy!!!! They have decaf as well!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2512 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3640

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review